Question on Foundation Series from a Newbie

quantum81

~Quantum81~
Hello,

I am rather new to science fiction literature. I've read sci-fi on and off, but have only recently decided to get into the genre seriously. My first real introduction was/is the Ender Series, which I am enjoying tremendously.

I would very much like to get into the Foundation Series. However, after doing some research, I understand that some parts of the series - especially those written by some outside authors - basically suck and shouldn't be read.

Wikipedia posts the books on all the series in chronological order
(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Foundation_Series]Foundation series), however, my question is - which of these can I skip and still get the full satisfaction of the series? I just don't want to waste my time with books that do not really add to the series.

Also, I know that other series are merged with the Foundation - that's fine. Just those that aren't worth the time and effort.

Any and all advice is very much appreciated. Thanks.

You'll find the list I drew up some time ago here:

http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/1156073-post9.html

This includes only those written by Asimov himself, in series-chronological order (rather than that of publication). Nearly all of the robot stories can be found in his collections I, Robot or The Complete Robot, with the exception of "Robot Dreams" and perhaps one or two others. I suggest reading the added material from I, Robot simply for the sake of story-continuity in developing the relationship between Susan Calvin and the robots, which later is linked to certain things in the Foundation books.

Here's hoping you enjoy the stories (both short tales and novels), and I look forward to seeing you around the boards....

Incidentally, I'm moving this to the Asimov forum, where it is likely to garner more responses.....

For the first go-round, I'd recommend reading them in the order they were published. And, while I'm an Asimov fanatic and would recommend reading most everything you can get your hands on, this also means you can go straight to The Foundation Trilogy if you want to. The early Robot, Empire, and Foundation novels and stories weren't tightly connected insofar as they were connected at all. You can read the Trilogy (in order), the Empire novels (perhaps best in their order, which isn't publication order, but no big deal either way), or I, Robot (best before the first two Robot novels, but not required) or the first two Robot novels (best in order). But which of those clumps is up to you. Then you can move on to the later Robot novels (the third is great, the fourth less so) and the Foundation sequels (the fourth is great, the fifth less so, though it has a fantastic scene) and the Foundation prequels (both okay). But the best stuff was the first 1940s-50s run.

Then, I'd recommend re-reading them all in something like the order j. d. worthington has posted except I wouldn't mess with any Silverberg books or anything else that isn't by the Good Doctor himself.

Hope that made sense: publication order (allowing for your primary interests) first; internal order second. But, whatever order, read something and have fun. :)

Thank you both for your speedy replies!

I have a follow up:

Is the Mark W. Tiedemann Robot Mystery sub-series good or should I skip it?
Is the Caliban trilogy by Roger MacBride Allen good or should I skip it?

Read the first three books by the Master - ie the late Doctor Isaac Asimov. Then read the sequel, "Foundation's Edge". By then, you'll need some time to digest it, so, after awhile, start with "I, Robot" followed by "The Rest of the Robots".

You'll have the time of your life. :)

I personally given the juxtaposition of the foundation series coming to the big screen (which the film thread revival may suggest is nearer) I would get the first three Foundation books under your belt and be quick about it. I fancy if you wait, the possibility exists that the film will ruin what is classic science fiction of the first order and your interest in the genre will die.:(

:D Whereas, if you've read the books first, you can join all the aficionado's at the back of the cinema grumping and griping about how they haven't stuck to the plot and how they've made a complete b**ls up of it.

Last edited:
Oh yes I am looking forward to doing that TEIN :)

I started with Foundation. Then Foundation and Empire, Second Foundation, Foundation's Edge and then Foundation and Earth.

The others I haven't read but I don't think that you really need to. They aren't vital to the main Foundation books.

Clarification

Great - thank you. So I understand from your collective replies that Tiederman's and Allen's sub-series aren't really that necessary to enjoy the Foundation series, but I would like to know - are Teiderman's and Allen's sub-series a good read?

That's what I have been trying to ask. Need to know if worth it to invest the time to read them but only to be disappointed?

Last edited:
I personally given the juxtaposition of the foundation series coming to the big screen (which the film thread revival may suggest is nearer) I would get the first three Foundation books under your belt and be quick about it. I fancy if you wait, the possibility exists that the film will ruin what is classic science fiction of the first order and your interest in the genre will die.:(

:D Whereas, if you've read the books first, you can join all the aficionado's at the back of the cinema grumping and griping about how they haven't stuck to the plot and how they've made a complete b**ls up of it.

Completely agreed, except that I go further - good or bad, I refuse to watch the films on the basis of mind pollution. I don't want a couple of hours of Hollywood messing up what I've been carrying around in my mind all my life. I'm afraid of even hearing about casting and whatnot. Bleh.

Great - thank you. So I understand from your collective replies that Tiederman's and Allen's sub-series aren't really that necessary to enjoy the Foundation series, but I would like to know - are Teiderman's and Allen's sub-series a good read?

That's what I have been trying to ask. Need to know if worth it to invest the time to read them but only to be disappointed?

Never read them and won't read them (again, on similar principle) but I can't see how they would be. They aren't Asimov, so if you're interested in Asimov, why bother? And I don't believe they're Foundation, regardless, if you're interested in Foundation - they're Robot stuff. I'd certainly wouldn't read them before I read all the Asimov books, if I read them at all.

Re: Clarification

They aparently revolve around Seldon before he starts up Foundation. I haven't read them but I have been told by a friend that they don't hold anything to the rest. Really just some people trying to cash in on Asimov I think were his words.