November's adventures in Reading needed...

Have you read all Demon Princes book ?

I think Star King is special book in that its both a personal story of Keith Gersen and at the same time huge world buidling. I mean how many planets are there in the book wow.

Also as usual he does characters and personal issues really well. I feel alot for the hero.

Yes, I have read the five Demon Princes books and loved them all and sometime in the future would like to read them again. If you enjoy Vance (and it looks like you do) I don't think you'll be disappointed. Even though Vance finished the series a little over a decade after The Palace Of Love he didn't lose his touch. And Howard Alan Treesong has got to be one of the coolest names in all of sf.:)

Ratcatcher-James McGee then loping into my first Simon R. Green novel...what have I got in store?

If you enjoy that then try the Haven books with Hawk & Fisher also standalones Shadows Fall and Drinking Midnight Wine.

But the Deathstalkers are the best.

Hello,
New to the chronicles world, but I'm currently amidst Elantris, by Brandon Sanderson.

Finished the Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks. I would rate this book as 5 stars out of 5. Very interesting and I have order the next book in the trilogy.

Also finished Bloodring by Faith Hunter. It is a very interesting take on a post apocolyptic future. There is religion and magic involved in the apocolypse, but it is not offensive (at least to me and I am very non-fundamentalist).

Now reading Kelley Amstrong's Living With the Dead. A nice, easy read, but doesn't have the oomph of the previously mentioned books.

Reading Empress, book 1 of the Godpeaker trilogy of Karen Miller. I like it very much.

I really like karen miller, and read the innocent mage and awakened mage, I saw Empress in the store as well. I'll probably go back for it. :)

Yes, I have read the five Demon Princes books and loved them all and sometime in the future would like to read them again. If you enjoy Vance (and it looks like you do) I don't think you'll be disappointed. Even though Vance finished the series a little over a decade after The Palace Of Love he didn't lose his touch. And Howard Alan Treesong has got to be one of the coolest names in all of sf.:)

Vance is by far the best creator of names i have read in any type of book.

Ghyl Tarvoke,Cugel,Tsais,Guyal is my favorites so far.

There is Vance thread in classic SFF in case you wanted to chat with other Vance fans. What you think of him,what else you have read etc.

Always nice to see people with the great taste of enjoying Vance and also welcome to forums :)

About half way through Feist's Magician: Apprentice. Loving it so far, very nice clean prose. Planning on picking up the second half tommorrow. That way I'll have both Apprentice and Master for a long plane fight this friday.

Started reading Simak's A Choice of Gods - it is quite good. If it continues as is, it will most likely become my third favorite, after Way Station and City. It contains all of Simak's trademarks - teleortation between interlocking planets, wild robots, a pastoral setting, a longing for simpler times, and his somewhat dated prose style. It does, however, have a sharper edge than I am used to from Simak. It seems more cynical its themes, and so far it paints Simak as a technophobe, if not a Luddite. I've glimpsed hints of this in his other books, but here he seems to really be taking a stand.

Just finished Foxmask, by Juliet Marillier, sequel of sorts to Wolfskin (though linked, they can be read as stand alone novels).

Wolfskin really grabbed me - a tale of the Viking invasion/settlement of the Orkneys, well rooted in history but with a deft touch of fantasy - just enough, and not too much. Excellent characters, too, and a very human story. All in all it really absorbed me and was enough to make me eager when I heard there was a second book.

Sequels don't always measure up so I was unsure what to expect from Foxmask - but I was pleasantly surprised. Foxmask starts out a generation down the track from where Wolfskin left off, and the new characters breathe new life into another chapter of the great intermingling of the Scandinavian and native islander traditions. Once again this is a very human story, well told, a compelling adventure about family ties, redemption and honour in a harsh environment. Once again Marillier very effectively meshes fantasy elements with well grounded reality. I found it a very satisfying read, although I must confess I was disappointed when it ended! Always a good sign. I recommend both books to anyone who enjoys historical fiction or historical fantasy. :)

I recently completed Humans, by Robert J. Sawyer. Anthropology and parallel universes aren’t usually my cup of tea. I thought the idea of parallel universes was more fantasy than a legitimate scientific possibility. I only read the first in this series, Hominids, because it won a Hugo or Nebula. I enjoyed it enough to collect the rest of the series. I enjoyed this second book even more than the first. I’ve warmed up to the notion of parallel universes and I found much of the anthropology discussion intriguing. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. I rate it an 8 out of 10.

Just finished Moorcock's Behold The Man. An interesting and thought provoking concept with his usual engaging prose. Highly recommended.

Started Fool's Errand by Robin Hobb not too long ago. I loved The Farseer Trilogy and dont doubt I'll enjoy this one as well. Who knows, if this one goes well I might try out the Liveship Traders trilogy too.

Finished The Good Soldier by Ford Madox Ford. About to start Righteous Blood by Cliff Burns.

Finished re-reading Flowers For Algernon, and just started Lukyanenko's The Last Watch.

Reading Downbelow Station by CJ. Cherryh. Im not used to epic scope in my SFF reading but im enjoying it mostly thanks to Cherryh's ability to write interesting characters,cultures.

Just finished Moorcock's Behold The Man. An interesting and thought provoking concept with his usual engaging prose. Highly recommended.
Gollum if you have not already read it may I recommend another with Karl Glouger in it Breakfast in Ruins from Moorcock.

Gollum if you have not already read it may I recommend another with Karl Glouger in it Breakfast in Ruins from Moorcock.
Thank you, I didn't know that. I'm after a copy of Brothel At Rosenstrasse, have you read it?

Currently visiting The King Of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany. Neil Gaiman has provided an interesting preface to the book that forms part of the Masterwork series.

Cheers.

I'm being trendy and going with the flow in fantasy...

Just finished The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie... I enjoyed it although I did not completely understand the hype. I have the second book waiting to be read also.

And I just started The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, another hyped debut, I'm finding it to be much more enjoyable, not really becuase the story is necessarialy better so far or because the characters are better portrayed, but because his writing style is very fulent and easily read, and I just like it when it's like that. I'm just a sucker, haha.

After that maybe I will give Gardens of the Moon another stab. I just could - not - get - into - it last time around, but everyone's raving about it, so...