Legend of the Seeker

I've watched 9mins of the 3rd ep, can I stop now? Took me a week just to start it, now 4 will be out tomorrow too. Looks like there just going to give him stupid made-up missions for each episode for him to do that has nothing to do with the books.

Must admit my disappointment. When I heard about this show I figured they wouldn't follow the book, but the symbolism of Richard throwing the book of counted shadows in the fire was a little too much.

It seems to me as if they've cut out everything from Wizard's First Rule that set the book apart from the most generic of fantasy molds, and decided to make a generic fantasy story with whatever little bits were left.

In the book Darken Rahl was immune to death via the sword of truth and all the characters knew it. I must also say a few words about the slow-mo action. "Once was enough. There's no excitement if all the fights appear as if they could be won by a two year old."

Lastly, there is Darken Rahl himself.
Darken1.jpg
Perhaps he can audition for Balki when they do the Perfect Strangers movie?
15324.jpg

Yes, I must say that this series disappointed me very much. Wizard's First Rule is on of my favorite books in the SOT story.

The whole Book of Counted Shadows thing really irked me. And the fact that their Richard doesn't fit my vision of Richard. They did ok w/Zedd, I guess, but not Chase. I thought he would be bigger. Don't get me started on Darken Rahl (where is the white hair!?! Hello!!!!!).

I will not mention this show to anyone I want to read the series. If they see this, they will never pick up the book, no matter how many times I tell them, that plot lines were changed somewhat.

I guess it is ok entertainment for the bored SciFi/Fantasy junkie, but I'll stick to reading.

I saw it on channel 251, the same channel that Smallville comes on on DishNetwork. I thought, "Hey, I liked Goodkind once upon a time, before he went crazy and all the money went to his head. I'll check this out."

It's been about, wow, 10 years since I read Wizard's First Rule... my god... did they read it at all? I think the script writers just got a synopsis and "based" it on that.

My wife and I suffered through episode 9 and 10, where Richard doesn't turn the sword white with forgiveness, though that was a huge plot point in the book. I guess the script writers didn't get that in their synopsis. Their synopsis probably just said, "Richard overcame his captors." But I don't seem to remember a retarded attempt to rescue Richard by Kahlan, nor a silly fight scene between Kahlan and the Mord'Sith. Funny how fuzzy my memory is.

I also seem to remember that there aren't a lot of confessors running around. Yet there was another confessor and a small band of "confessed" soldiers ready to rescue Richard.

Zed was also there. Was Zed with them at this point in the book?

Also, Richard seems to be around 5'9'' or maybe 5'10'' and scrawny. I think he's described as around 6'5'' and probably pushing 270 lbs of muscle. The Sword of Truth in most of the cover arts almost looks like short sword he's so big.

And, bad as I hate to give any credit to Goodkind, there are a lot of things that set those books apart from your typical fantasy flare (including quality after book 4). The writers/directors/producers don't seem interested in doing any of that. They want a AD&D romp with a new name.

My gripe is this: Wizard's First Rule is decently self contained. There is no guarantee of future storylines after it and you can read it and put the rest of the series off. So they have twenty something episodes to cover the book. That's about enough time to do the book justice. Shows like Lost and 24 show that people will show great amounts of patience with shows that are well produced, well acted, and well written. THEY DON'T HAVE TO REDUCE EVERY HOUR DOWN TO FORMULAIC NONSENSE. They have Darken Rahl skipping around from place to place, always showing up to cause trouble, looking nothing like, or acting nothing like, the Darken Rahl we know from the book. All in all they took what could have been twenty good episodes of television, considering that Wizard's First Rule is by FAR the best that series has to offer, and just trashed it. They trashed the storyline. They trashed any credibility to the claim they'd work close to the source material.

Rubbish. The filter would catch how I actually feel about this show. When I caught it on I immediately set up a timer to record all of them. Twenty minutes in I deleted the timer. My wife agreed. It was crap.

Also, why aren't there any decent fantasy shows on? We browsed around and caught a cheesy show based on Robinson Crusoe. Ten minutes into it we noticed it getting cheap. Then we switched over to Sci-Fi channel for five minutes of a horrible movie starring Adrian Paul. Then we watched five minutes of You, Me, and Dupree and decided that TV is dead and we'd be better served by popping in Kill Bill Vol. 2 in the DVD player.

Seriously, TV is the pits if the Office or Lost isn't on.

Also, why aren't there any decent fantasy shows on? We browsed around and caught a cheesy show based on Robinson Crusoe. Ten minutes into it we noticed it getting cheap. Then we switched over to Sci-Fi channel for five minutes of a horrible movie starring Adrian Paul. Then we watched five minutes of You, Me, and Dupree and decided that TV is dead and we'd be better served by popping in Kill Bill Vol. 2 in the DVD player.

Try Farscape, it's nowhere near like your average sci-fi show. There's something so generic about the Star Treks, and even Stargate if you want to go that far, but Farscape has a completely different angle. Give it a chance, you might like it. It is one of those shows that you'll either love, or hate. Me personally i don't mind it lol

I was wondering if anyone besides me was still wasting their time watching this show. They must have found a really good deal on cheap script writers. In the mord'sith episode Denna proceeds to tell Kahlan how she is going to "train" her (essentially break her with torture) then immediately proceeds to tell Richard to kill Kahlan to prove that his "training" is complete. I would say it was a half-way decent kids show but it seems far too violent to me. At least when Sam Raimi was working on Hercules and Xena it was a lot more humorous and kid friendly.

My wife has recommended Far Scape to me before. Someone else recommended Babylon 5 but I haven't watched either of them.

Maybe I'll pick up the DVDs from the video store.

My wife has recommended Far Scape to me before. Someone else recommended Babylon 5 but I haven't watched either of them.

Maybe I'll pick up the DVDs from the video store.

I've seen Babylon 5, and i dunno, it has that cheapy Power Rangers feel to it, in terms of set and graphics quality. But we're not here to talk about that lol...

Well, since there is no fantasy on, you might want to check out Fringe (Fox on Tuesday's) if you like SciFi (See the fringe thread).

I haven't read a Terry Goodkind book so I have no opinion on how the tv series compares to the book series. Judging from the comments, I'm glad I haven't read the books because I'm able to look at the tv series on its own.

I didn't like the series at first (even switched off about 10 minutes into the pilot) and thought it was silly. Then I had an idle day and was at a loose end so I gave it another try and, to my surprise, grew to like it. It's average, nothing truly spectacular or exceptionally bad (in my opinion) and is simply an enjoyable easy-to-watch series. Also, I like that Kahlan can fight and does so often.

I am a big fan of the Sword of Truth books and I have been watching this series since last year. I really like the series and I especially think season two has been excellent. Ever since they added Cara to the cast it seems like the shows have become better in my opinion. I try to support any fantasy or sci-fi shows on television. My cable company just picked up BBC America and I have really been enjoying Robin Hood. I also enjoy Enterprise, Battlestar and Farscape.

I just got caught up to ep. 206.

The second series has a very different tone to the first and there is more exploration of Richard's character, especially in light of his family history. I think series two has a darker tone and it took some getting used to but I really this series now.

The series was shot in New Zealand and I'm glad there are so many people of colour in the show. I like the cast diversity and I've made a little game of trying to figure out the identity of the various accents.

I was watching Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers the other night and was surprised to realize that the elf leading the aid to the humans is also Darken Rahl.

Let's see, Goodkind writes portentous, overstuffed fantasy potboiler that is turned into a TV series borrowing heavily from Xena. What you have is a pretty routine but entertaining series of the low brow sort with women running around in low cleavage and leather.... I like it! :)

Let's see, Goodkind writes portentous, overstuffed fantasy potboiler that is turned into a TV series borrowing heavily from Xena. What you have is a pretty routine but entertaining series of the low brow sort with women running around in low cleavage and leather.... I like it! :)

:D I think you've summed it up very well. And don't forget, Richard is excellent eye candy too.

The series is one of the worst written shows I've ever watched on television and the guy playing the lead role is ridiculous.