Eyes of the Dragon

Conan

Catalyst
I finished this about a week ago and found it quite lacking in something... Is that how everyone else feels?

I also watched The Stand and thought it was pretty bad.

Well, when I read it, I was either expecting King's usual style of writing or completely fantasy, and it was neither. It was like it was trying to be full-on fantasy and it was, but it didn't really captivate me like most fantasy I read.
But yeah, it was a little hollow, lacking in a bit of character development I think, I can't really rememebr as it's been a while since I read it.

I did enjoy it, just not as much as some of his other stuff.

I havent read this book for 10 years but I remember enjoying it. It was nice to see King try a sightly different genre than he is used to.

The stand miniseries was a tv adaptation from the mid 90's so I wouldnt expect it to be great but I do own it and have sat through the 6hours a few times in the past 5 years. I have never read the book even though it is sitting quietly on my book shelf in its used, worn, read by many glory. One of these years I will dust it off and give it a whirl. I just find it hard when I have so many books I want to read and I already know the story. So to go though the 1000pages seems like a lot of work. Although I would be more than willing to do so for a GRRM book!!!

If you like King I would suggest Duma Key. Despite the mediocre reviews I have seen online, I thought it was great and creepy...

Well, the whole thing is, this was supposed to be King's attempt at a book for children, or at least slightly pre-adolescent, so yeah, it DID lack something.

Been forever since I've read it, hehe.

I havent read this book for 10 years but I remember enjoying it. It was nice to see King try a sightly different genre than he is used to.

The stand miniseries was a tv adaptation from the mid 90's so I wouldnt expect it to be great but I do own it and have sat through the 6hours a few times in the past 5 years. I have never read the book even though it is sitting quietly on my book shelf in its used, worn, read by many glory. One of these years I will dust it off and give it a whirl. I just find it hard when I have so many books I want to read and I already know the story. So to go though the 1000pages seems like a lot of work. Although I would be more than willing to do so for a GRRM book!!!

If you like King I would suggest Duma Key. Despite the mediocre reviews I have seen online, I thought it was great and creepy...

Its a shame you watched The Stand before you read, I think your enjoyment of the book would now be greatly lessened. Duma Key sounds a bit too much like Bag of Bones. Not that Bag of Bones is bad,it was one of my favourites, I just don't want the same story told with different Characters.

EOTD was a bit slow going for me. I think he tried to do the fantasy thing but with elements of horror and suspense and it kind of fizzled out near the end for me. I liked the writing style but it was not, you know, Boss, as the great SK would put it. :)

Duma Key is definitely not like Bag of Bones.

The Eyes of the Dragon was probably the first Stephen King book I read, back when I was venturing out into other parts of the library when I was about eleven or so. As such, I didn't have other Kings to which I could compare and also as such I have a fond liking for it because it was the first. The tone is definitely unlike all his other books, but I don't think it detracts anything from it. Also because I read this one first, I always imagine this as Flagg's proper form, and that it was later on that he crafted the more cocky, your-best-friend-one-moment-your-worst-nightmare-the-next, wanderer image. Probably not the case, but that's how it's come about for me because of how I read the books.

The Eyes of the Dragon was one of the very first King books I read. They were not so easy to come by then as they are now.

Yes, it was certainly a far cry from Salem's Lot and Pet Cemetary but I enjoyed it nevertheless. It was unexpected and different and therefore it was very interesting to see how he went along with it. I don't think the difference in tone and style made it less of a book for me. In fact it made me rather more curious about it and I enjoyed reading it.

I liked this one too. It was a refreshing change from typical SK. Its in my pile right now, actually.

wow, i have the book, and was planning to read it, but you guys make it sound like it's not worth the time.

No, not all of us do. I'd say read it, it's a nice fantasy story. And if you're going on to (or have) read any of King's other books, particularly the Dark Tower series, it's an important book in the linked world in which King writes.

Its a shame you watched The Stand before you read, I think your enjoyment of the book would now be greatly lessened. Duma Key sounds a bit too much like Bag of Bones. Not that Bag of Bones is bad,it was one of my favourites, I just don't want the same story told with different Characters.

Yeah, I will always picture Max headroom running around with an a bomb...

I read this book some years back before the origin point of this thread and I found to be a a good piece of story telling. I loved the fact that villain in this book was called Randall Flagg. Im think that it's another version of the character in the Stand and Gunslinger .:)

rasty: "Yeah, I will always picture Max headroom running around with an a bomb..."
I agree with you there.... some dubious casting on that one. Sheridan as Flagg was also somewhat off the mark in my opinion.
I liked the first half of The Stand miniseries, the second half got more and more folksy until it became somewhat corny.
I always like EOTD, even if it was King's first attempt at a children's book. The way it links into his other works is always appreciated as well.

I really enjoyed Eyes of the Dragon - much more than the first Dark Tower, which I didn't think was great. The extract of book 2 was good though, so I'll read that if they ever have it in my local library (it's always out for some reason).

I was twenty when I read Eyes of the Dragon. I was house sitting for my parents and I was using the third floor bedroom... just one staircase from the basement to the third floor. Reading until the wee hours, I came to the part where Flagg decides he needs to murder Peter. While reading about Peter's frantic attempt to escape as Flagg was coming up the stairs to kill him, I realized that I was also alone in a tower with only one way down. I did not have the nerve to check out the stairs... I was certainly in no condition to try and sleep... The only way out for me was to keep reading to see if Peter and I would live to see the dawn. We did!

Read this one years ago, must re-read it soon!
This is an out and out fantasy, and a very good effort it is too!
Not his usual stuff but we'll worth a read, enjoyed it a lot!!!