How highly do you rate Hobb?

Rahl Windsong said:
Aye Fitz hated the fact that he had to be an assassin therefore one could say he was a poor one. However had I lived in the Six Dutchies and somehow got on the wrong side of the Farseer line and I knew about Fitz as I do from the story I would be scared sh_ _less no doubt about it, and I really think that says all that needs to be said about his ability as a very reluctant assassin.

Well, it's not that his reluctance created a lack of skill. As a matter of fact, in the later books he was quite driven to use what he learned.

SPOILERS AHEAD SPOILERS AHEAD SPOILERS AHEAD SPOILERS AHEAD SPOILERS AHEAD SPOILERS AHEAD SPOILERS AHEAD SPOILERS AHEAD SPOILERS AHEAD SPOILERS AHEAD SPOILERS AHEAD SPOILERS AHEAD SPOILERS AHEAD SPOILERS AHEAD SPOILERS AHEAD SPOILERS AHEAD

I just go very frustrated when I cheered him on and watched him screw up every attempt to get Regal. And while he was frightened, his fear wasn't prohibitive. I think his greatest stumbling block was his anger. Even so, he did well as an assassin, considering things I never would have in those situations, and probably would have done well otherwise, had he not been trying to kill the particular people he was trying to kill. I just wanted him to GET them!

hehee!!!!!!!!.....

SPOILER...KIND OF..

fitzy_fool2.jpg

sorry, was just enjoying this and thought i'd chuck it in for yous all :D

You can go back to topic now:D
http://www.angelfire.com/freak2/changerandbeloved/images/fitzy_fool2.jpg

I really enjoyed the farseer and live ship traiders books. ANd Fitz was a great character, you really grew to care for him as he screwed things up. And you really want to urge him on to let it be known public in the end, but you know what happens in the end.
Perhaps its paranoia or perhaps it is a true reflection of the real world as I noticed all the male charcters have great flaws, pride etc. But most seem to have some lack of loyalty, I can't find the word im looking for but its along those lines.
But once again it may be Hobbs character writing reflecting real world. I do like all the characters in their own ways. But was still less than happy with how things with Fitz ended.
I personally liked eddings as well & Trudi Canavan

hodor said:
Hobb is very good. If you have just picked up the first trilogy (The Farseer Trilogy) then you will most likely come to like it. I must say that if you decide it is a bit under par you can not stop there, you must continue on next to her Liveship Traders trilogy (which is connected and imperative you read next instead of the tawny man). I found the Liveship Traders to be better than the first series but others have felt otherwise. The Tawny Man trilogy (imo is the best of the three) continues the sage into conclusion and you must refrain and read this series after The Liveship Traders lest you miss things that are really important to the time and storyline.

Altogether you should really enjoy this series based on the character depth if not the plot. The first series has to be the weakest but yet still ranks up there with some of the best that I have read.... enjoy mate.
I agree, she is good not great. Her strength is in character developement and while I wouldn'i say she has any real weaknesses, plot and originality are pretty average. Still, better, overall, than most in the genre (Although my critique of her may be premature as I have only read the Farseer series)

After reading all three series I would echo your sentiments BradtheImpaler.

I am not sure why I didn't like them more as the pace, the plots, the imagination, the characters all seemed really good but somehow, whilst I really enjoyed all the books, there's something stopping me from finding them great. I can't put my finger on what I didn't like.

i think the problem with the farseer series, at least for me, was the ending. It ended in a way which whilst plotwise was not unexpected, it was not the traditional hero living happily ever after in glory... There are times when i tire of this idyllic ending, but its more that i want the bad guys to win than wanting a different ending. The series was also extremely brutal, and this brutality was so heavy handed i felt as though I'd been hit with it.

Am i alone in detesting Burrich?

devilsgrin said:
i think the problem with the farseer series, at least for me, was the ending. It ended in a way which whilst plotwise was not unexpected, it was not the traditional hero living happily ever after in glory... There are times when i tire of this idyllic ending, but its more that i want the bad guys to win than wanting a different ending. The series was also extremely brutal, and this brutality was so heavy handed i felt as though I'd been hit with it.

Am i alone in detesting Burrich?

Burrich was there to be hated, thats the way I saw his character. He was too set in his ways to realize that the Witt was a good thing and he had that talent. It scarred him beyond comprehension so he lashed out at the Witt and anyone who wielded it,making him a bitter man and one that would be hated by most people who met him.

Rahl

I must be alone with actually liking Burrich! He was one of my favourites actually, he quite obviously loved and respected Chivalry. He loved his animals and he grew to love Fitz, Molly and was a good father to his and Fitz's children!

I never hated Burrich, I always knew that there was more to him than met the eye.

xx

i liked burrich too! he was dependable and he was just doing his best for fitz who was a bit of a brat! personally i hated molly and starling.

and i liked the ending of the farseer too! i liked that sudden stop, similiar to the oracles queen ending, by lynn flewelling (ok we knew that the characters got married in that, but it didn't go into huge detail and teh marriage was seen as a reflection from a character years later) i prefer things like that, a stop or a reflection ending. i HATE with a passion the ending of the tawny man for being so ott!

personally i like hobb, but my appreciation of her got less as time went on. im not sure if that's cos i was older, and reading martin, and demanding more, or simply because her later books got worse. i certainly didn't like liveships, and though i enjoyed tawny man, it nevber gripped me as much as farseer and the ending was awful, in my opinion.

won't disagree about the Tawny Man ending... Hobb is a talented author, i definitely believe that, but she is very heavy handed at times. There were many occasions, not the least which the endings of her books, where all i wanted to do was scream 'all right I get it! can we move on now/can we end now'

I didn't particularly like the Farseer series, either. Actually, I REALLY liked the first book, but didn't care as much for the second or the third ones. I thought Fitz was the most selfish brat ever created to be the "hero" of a work, and I didn't really like Molly or Burrich or most of the other characters, either. The story itself was really engaging and interesting, but I think I am more of a character person than a plot person, and as I didn't like most of the characters, I never felt compelled to read more of Hobb' work.

that's why i liked fitz really. beacuse he wasn't your typical hero. he was stupid, and selfish, and annoying. and i like a realistic hero. one who means well but is an idiot. molly was just annoying. couldn't stand her. couldn't understand why anyone would want her. or starling. hated her too.

im more of a character person too. but i guess i liked the fool enough, or fitz, for it to be worth while. mostly the fool :)

yes starling was a beyotch! she used poor tom badgerlock until she found a rich husband then dumped him like a sack of old turnips

if i think about it, i'd have to list Lady Patience as my favourite character in the series... I loved her eccentricity. and her always being just a bit (or a lot) dirty from her gardening. She like a strange aunt who gives odd advice, and says and does odd things - that to her are completely rational.
Patience would have to be the only character i liked right through her story arc.
Didn't like the Fool much in any series, and early Fitz - the brat Fitz - i liked, the later Fitz/Tom Badgerlock i didn't...

It's a good question, the title of this thread. I read Hobb's The Farseers trilogy and Liveship Traders trilogy and enjoyed them very much. Her writing style is classic and her characterization is superb. To the literature snobs she is a perfect example of fantasy writers also deserving high literature merit, just as the mainstream writers. I don't understand why some people still judge literature value by the genre nowadays. Just how many talented writers have written some fantasy, Si Fi, horror, thriller or mixed genre fictions that can be called classic or masterpiece!

I enjoyed the books I've read, so I'd rate her fairly highly. Imaginative and thought-provoking concepts, paired with a classic style of writing, makes for a very enjoyable read.

Hmmm... I can't agree with all of Rune's choices but I definitely agree with her on Jordan... and the poor thing actually bought the book:( .

Just curious what her thoughts were exactly...

Ok here is my twopennyworth.

I have only just read the Farseer Trilogy and, having just found out that there are other linked stories to read, I haven't read any of the other posts above yet for fear of accidentally digesting a spoiler!

I rate Hobb quite highly actually. She has a good imagination and clearly cares about her characters. She is a relatively gentle writer, she doesn't break the continuity of the story and she successfully builds a sense of purpose into her tale.

On the downside, I have to say that I found her to be a bit of a lightweight when it comes to adding dramatic punch to the narrative. Having slowly brought the tale to the boil, the actual delivery of the climactic moments falls slightly short. She dances like a butterfly and stings like a nettle.

Additionally I also found that the books were maybe just a little bit too long (particularly the third book in the Farseer trilogy which I found heavy going in places). She could have shortened them just a tad.

But notwithstanding the above, Hobb does know how to tell a fine tale and ultimately she does deliver. I would definitely recommend the Farseer Trilogy and intend to read more of her works sometime in the future.

Never, not in any book, have I ever felt such a strong, emotional connection with its protagonist or any character. Hobb enables us to grow into Fitz, and to grow with Fitz. You grow to love the Fool as the best friend you never had and, to be honest, the ending of the series is absolutely brilliant.

Hobb is one of the most talented writers out there. She sometimes refuses you the drama you're craving for, but her classic, sensitive characters and writing style put her on the top of my list.