How highly do you rate Hobb?

Nevare have I seen a fictional character eat so well though.

I enjoy her soldier son trilogy.
It is the first of her works that I read.
I also enjoy the first book of the far seer trilogy.
Will be looking forward to reading the rest of her works.

I bought Hobb's books as they arrived in the shops. I enjoyed them so much that i re-read them after some years! I also got her other books written as Megan Lindholm.

My favourite author, love her books. I wish it was physically possible to visit the world she creates, what a trip that would be!!

I like most of Hobbs works... Just not her Soldier Son trilogy. No idea what went wrong but didn't get very far into the first book.

Soldier Son was different for sure. I loved the first two but she got a bit bogged down in the last - still enjoyed it but a bit heavy going in places.

It wasn't like some of the Fitz novels weren't heavy in places. It was just that there seemed to be no story. Literally didn't have a clue about what the trilogy was about halfway through the first book.

In that case I'd recommend giving it another go - it develops into a very "Hobbish" story. Kinda Rain wilds is the nearest I can think of.

I read the Farseer trilogy and it was fine. Wasn't my favorite though I do like how she worked the culture into the story. I wasn't a huge fan of the characters and it was a little bit slow for my tastes. It took an effort to finish and I didn't feel like the ending paid off enough.

In that case I'd recommend giving it another go - it develops into a very "Hobbish" story. Kinda Rain wilds is the nearest I can think of.

Not so into those... read and it will get better books. If for no other reason than there are books out there that are good from page one.

I read the Farseer trilogy and it was fine. Wasn't my favorite though I do like how she worked the culture into the story. I wasn't a huge fan of the characters and it was a little bit slow for my tastes. It took an effort to finish and I didn't feel like the ending paid off enough.

Fitz can be a bit something a lot of the time... the second novel was be far the best in that series. Over all I would say that the best trilogy is the Liveship one.

The Tawny Man trilogy was not as good as Farseer series and the worst of the Rain Wild series was good but I would have liked some more action and excitement in the series.

she's top 5 in my author's list for fantasy. All her Farseer books are very good, and i can't wait for the latest installment.
I liked the Liveship books as well but not as much as the farseer books. My thoughts on them are biased though. When i read them, i was still attached to the farseer cast. So reading books about the same universe with a different cast influenced me. I might rate them just as much as the farseer books if not for that.

The soldier son trilogy was a bit of a dissapointment. It started out well, but then it fell kinda flat for me. They were still interesting reads, but i didn't really care about the characters in the books. Just wanted to see where the story would eventually go. The rain wilds were less good as well. Despite being set in the same universe as the farseer trilogy. When i read these, i actually wanted to read more about other parts of this universe (unlike with liveship books were i wanted more farseer). The rain wilds simply felt too safe. Not once did i feel anyone of the likeable characters would end up in real danger. It felt like a more mature Eddings book (albeit less repetitive). Which is fine but not to my taste (anymore). It may be again one day.

Last edited:
I read several of Robin Hobb's books which I borrowed from the public library and quite enjoyed. Unfortunately I did not keep a record and my memory for names is poor so I can't say now which ones. I bought Shaman's Crossing (Soldier Son #1) which I quite enjoyed but have not read the following volumes.

she's fallen out of my top 5. i will always like her first 6 farseer book, and therefore rate her highly. but the last 3 farseer books were a major letdown for me, and i never got into the soldier son trilogy. that whole get fat/mage thingie, and all the weird druglike magic stuff was not my cup of tea.

I read the Liveship Traders Trilogy some years ago. I found it completely compulsive, could do little else in my spare time other than read it, and it completely took over my inner life.
When I finally reached the end, I realised that I regretted having spent so much time in a world significantly more unpleasant than this one (as I experience it), and that I would be very wary of ever embarking again on such a lengthy read. I felt no nourishment from having read it and wanted my time back. While I admire her writing, I do not intend to read her again.

I used to really rate her but these days she has fallen way off my radar.

I think that's because she used to put out books VERY fast and they were big chunky books. For a time she was publishing 1 every year. However she's steadily slowed down and hasn't published in the last 3 or 4 years. I have to admit i also have not yet read her last Fitz and Fool series purely because I want to re-read the first series and refresh myself before jumping in again.