Dune prequel.

Foxbat

None The Wiser
Supporter
I'm a lover of all things Dune...including the prequels. I don't think they are quite up to the standard of Dune or God Emperor (definitely my two favourites in the series) but are a good read nonetheless.
Anyway, to the point of this post: In case anybody is curious, the release date for the next book (The Machine Crusade) is sept 1st in the USA and sept 16th in the UK.
I've got mine on pre-order ;D

I read Dune and loved it. Couldn't get through any of the others. It seems as if maybe the first book was fascinating to me because of its uniqueness, and the rest didn't have enough of a plot to carry my interest, or maybe there was just too much plot and I spent more time trying to figure out what the heck was going on than on enjoying the book itself. I dunno, just my opinion. Haven't tried any of them recently, maybe I should.

The movie was pretty bad. Although I'll watch Sting do anything... ;D

I liked the visual effect of the movie but I agree it left a lot to be desired. It might be worth your while having a look at the miniseries. It concentrated more on the oppression suffered by the Fremen and the subsequent rise of religious fanaticism. Also the filming techniques used make it feel more akin to a stage play rather than a cinematic event. I think that this was probably more driven by lack of budget rather than aesthetic value but it certainly gave it a real original flavour.

Dune is a great novel - but I could never stomach readnig the follow-ups. Dune itself seems like such a great stand-alone work, and somehow the sequels seem to lack the epic grandeur promised by Paul's visions in the first. Simply my impressions, btw. On saying that, my girlfriend's sister has just sent me her Dune collection - all the sequels, so I'll not escape that easily!

The movie was pretty bad. Although I'll watch Sting do anything...

You and me both, dwndrgn.

I told a friend of mine once that the only thing good about the movie was Sting. My next birthday, he gave me a copy of the video - so that I could watch Sting as much as I wanted to, he said. :)

As far as the books go, I've only read Dune, and it took me three or four tries before I got through the whole thing. It wasn't a bad book - I enjoyed it when I did finally read the whole thing. It just didn't inspire me to want to read the other books in the series.

When I first read Dune, it was the first fantasy I had come accross that was completely unusual in itself but also very familiar. What I mean is that the actual story line is something that could have come from Shakespeare - it is a simple (if well written) one. However, the surrounds were fascinatingly new and wonderful. That may be why the subsequent books never caught me - I had already been introduced to the fascination of that world but the story was just too mundane.

Although, you could probably say this about a great deal of the books I now read. ;D