Alzheimer's drug 'halts' decline

Thank you Ursa...I shall keep this in mind, that's if I don't forget :D Actually it's not funny after a while and still being able to realise what one does wrong or forgets.

Hopefully this drug will help so many of those suffering this illness.

It actually made the first spot on the BBC 10 O'Clock News.

I've seen the effects of Alzheimers - it's a truly awful condition.

Yes, I have an uncle who has it. It's just heartbreaking to see him like this, asking the same question about a couple of minutes after he asked the first time. Saying how life was so boring, he never did anything - and that was about 5 minutes after he had returned from a drive to the beach. :(

I do have a feeling though that I am developing it already! I did the washing the other day - I always hang my blouses on hangers so they don't crease. So where did I hang them? In the wardrobe :eek:

That'll be a senior moment.

(Ageing is, I've decided, another name for Senior Momentum.)

A good drug - I hope it does as good as we hope!
The problem then that I see is identification of Alzimers - sometimes if you are close you won't notice for ages and some older folk can hide it pretty well depending on conditions - stock phrases are something my Grandad used (and still does occasionaly now) which helped him get along and hid the early onset - not open deceit, but something one does to try and keep functioning.
Its a terrible illness and I hope we can go from prevention to recovery

It is an easier condition to spot with hindsight, that's true. And when there's no treatment being made available, there's no incentive at all for the sufferer who suspects they have the condition, only a downside. (It can't be easy to admit to having the illness.)

Perhaps now there will be an incentive.

I hope that it's effectual for the type of Alzheimers that Terry Pratchett is suffering from...

Originally posted by Rosie

I do have a feeling though that I am developing it already! I did the washing the other day - I always hang my blouses on hangers so they don't crease. So where did I hang them? In the wardrobe :eek:

Nah, that's just middle age Rosie, I do silly things like that all the time, well maybe not that silly!!!!
On a more serious note though Ursa it would be great news indeed if they can help those affected by Alzheimers. Many years ago, before there was much talk about Alzheimers we lived across the road from a lady who obviously suffered from it, but we didn't know that at the time, she was forever asking us our names and telling us about her car she used to drive and she would ask your name every 5 mins or so.