Manda Scott anyone?

Bentony

I am busy trying to finish Manda Scott's series on Boudica. Unfortunatly I whatever I do I cannot read the last one as I know how it ends. THis is a pity as I am really enjoying her take on the topic.
Has anyone else had this trouble?

don't let knowing the end put you off.

We all know the tales of King Arthur, we know any story about him is leading to fighting Medraut at Camlan.
Yet, in Bernard Cornwall's "Warlord Chronicles" it is still a genuine punch to the guts, and almost a shock/surprise, at the end, because you get to know a real, rounded human being. You can feel Derfel's agony, and pain, and the sheer horror of remembering that last battle, as he narrates it, dozens of years later as a Monk, for the Queen of Powys. And it still hurts the reader, even with fore warning.

I had that same problem with Manda Scott but for different reasons :) On a serious note if you like the author do not allow you knowledge of history get in the way of your enjoyment of the story.

When you are reading a take on a famously known story such as Boudica or King Arthur, it doesn't matter that you know the ending, what is important is the journey the Author takes you on to get there, with their take on it.

Back