Your book selection process .... and how not to forget those potential gems

elvet

Easily amused
Supporter
Every one of us has different ways of selecting books we're interested in. For some of us older members, remembering the books that look good can be a challenge.
My main source for suggestions are some fantasy sites - Chrons, SF and Fantasy World, Fantasy Book Spot, SF site, and Locus Magazine page. Since I'm at the computer for these inspirations, I go next to Fantastic Fiction to read about the author and the books and see if they are part of a series. Then I go back to my resource sites and look up reviews.
Next step is to go to Amazon or Chapters online and see if the book is available. Even if it isn't, I tuck it away in my wish list. So my wish list is my compilation of books that I will be looking to buy.
I've tried paper notes tucked away in my purse, but I never remember to update them.

Hypnos164

I tend to just order them at the time ... then 3 months later when delayed/pre-order stuff ships I open it and think "what on earth did i want this for?" which results in a bit of backtracking, mostly to the sites listed, to try and find what inspired me to buy it in the first place.

I'm pretty sure Amazon could get away with sending me random stuff of my recommendations list and telling me i ordered it 3-6 months ago :)

Spade

Custom User Title
The notes function on the cell phone works great!

Connavar

For me its simple

1. Take in recomendations from chrons,other sources(few),reviews Only for reading synopsis. I dont care review opinions i trust only chrons and legendreaders members taste in SFF since i know which people i share same taste in authors. Some genres i have read enough to know what i like.

For example there is a 90% chance i will try new authors for me that write Heroic Fantasy,Sword and Sorcery,Urban Fantasy than there is the chance of reading Epic fantasy. Same in other genres i know what i like. I just get library books of any writer that sounds like writing something i know i like. Dont need recommendations for everything.

2. Fantastiction for info about authors,novels,series go to amazon,abebooks booklinks in fantasticfiction for new versions or used books. Wikipedia for info about short stories. Much better than fantasticfiction there. I can find most list of content for anthologies.

3. Tell my bookshop to order a certain version of an used book that isnt too expensive or too damaged. New books i usually order UK versions or rarely american books when i want certain books for collectiong. PKD,Richard Morgan covers i like US versions.

Repeat those three steps. I trust my bookshop people since i buy usually 5-7 books a month they are willing to find any book i want. Used books stores suck here so i usually buy them from amazon,abebooks.

About saving authors and books to read in list i use wordpad. I dont like amazon and similar places, dont want get mails and what to buy from them. I hate that stuff.

Tansy

Northern Monkey
I ususally see what takes my fancy on here and add them to my Amazon Wish list so I don't forget, then order them elsewhere :)

gully_foyle

Here kitty kitty kitty!
I'm pretty much reliant on Chrons for recommendations. I read alot of Golden Age SF so I also look for books I enjoyed as a kid.

My process was to keep a text file on my computer updated with what I want to buy. I'd print it off an stick it in my wallet. By the time I had bought most of what was on the list I would have a new list on the computer to print off. Since I changed jobs and computers this has fallen by the wayside a bit, and I don't get much time for book shopping these days, but I should re-instigate this process.

Nesacat

The Cat
Curiosity was framed. Ignorance killed the cat.
I get quite a few of my books through recommendations from folks here in Chrons. I then try to get them either from Porcupine Books (online) or through Silverfish Books where I live.

I also have an Amazon wish list and I put books there to pick up when I go to the UK if i cannot get them any way else. It costs too much to get them mailed here so I send them to a friend in the UK and pick them up there.

Rosemary

The Wicked Sword Maiden
A combination of recommendations from here and from Fantastic Fiction.

Sometimes I might find a new author when browsing in a book shop - which is almost as good as reading a book btw. :D

I also keep a note book with books I want to get and then I can order them through the bookshop if they are not on the shelves...

mrc86

I took recommendations from here in the thread for Sci-Fi and Fantasy. I wrote alot of what was in the threads (well really the first page). Theres a part in the thread where the books are ranked Malazan is first Song of Ice and Fire is second. I more or less went by this so Im on Song of Ice and Fire now so i figure Ill just keep going by the list cause it hasnt disappointed me yet.

Pyan

Nolite turbare mortuos qui somniant
Staff member
Supporter
I get quite a few of my books through recommendations from folks here in Chrons.

Same here (the latest being Robin Hobb).
One of the good things about doing this, is that very few Chronners have an axe to grind about authors and books - and unlike professional reviewers and critics, they tend to tell it as it is, without feeling the need to score points by the "cleverness" of the review.

gully_foyle

Here kitty kitty kitty!
Same here (the latest being Robin Hobb).
One of the good things about doing this, is that very few Chronners have an axe to grind about authors and books - and unlike professional reviewers and critics, they tend to tell it as it is, without feeling the need to score points by the "cleverness" of the review.
Exactly, and they also love their genre and that enthusiasm is catching.

GOLLUM

Similar to others. Recommendations from here, my own research into the Genre, trawling of small press publisher sites etc...

Clansman

Lochaber Axeman, QC
Here for me is the best source of good book intel, and as I am a huge Wurts fan, the recommendations at the Book Nook on her fan site. Like-minded people, you know (that's how I started on Erikson and Rothfuss).

I also use Fantasy Literature.net: Book and Audiobook Reviews for Lovers of Excellent Fantasy Fiction, which is a review site, and where I contribute as a reviewer. I should invite the moderators there to the Chrons, because the two sites do very different things, and they would fit in well here.

Talysia

Lady of Autumn
Usually, I get a lot of recommendations from Chrons members, but I get quite a few from my sister. We have very similar tastes in fantasy, so when she gets a book and reads it, she then enthuses about it to me.:)

After that, I'll either make a mental note of it and keep it in mind when I go book shopping or write a note or list of books and keep it in my bag.