Elizabeth Moon

elvet

Easily amused
Supporter
Seeing Mark's comments (female authors thread) about her Paksenarrion books piqued my interest. A few short clicks and I found that she seems to write mostly SF. Any comments about her earlier fantasy trilogy? An omnibus edition is available and I'm thinking about getting it.

I speak to Elizabeth occasionally by email. She admits that she finds the science fiction easy to write by comparison to the fantasy, but that the Paksenarrion books were her great love affair with fantasy. Caring for her autistic son limited her writing time, so she focused on lighter writing projects (I can't imagine why she finds them easier, but apparently she does) - the science fiction stuff. I enjoyed reading some of these as well - the early ones were sort of horseriding in space! There are other pre-quel fantasy books to the main trilogy, but these didn't grab me in the same way as her Deed of Paksenarrion books.

Of note in the prequel books was a brief snippet at the end of the prequel that hinted at more Paksennarion books, or at least one, to come. Hopefully she returns to this world one day, because it would be nice to have that foreshadowing snippet resolved.

I went ahead and ordered the book. I'll update this thread when I get around to reading it.

Speaking about this author i was more interested in reading her SF. What book/series are seen as her best ?

Of note in the prequel books was a brief snippet at the end of the prequel that hinted at more Paksennarion books, or at least one, to come. Hopefully she returns to this world one day, because it would be nice to have that foreshadowing snippet resolved.

When I last spoke with Elizabeth she said she was looking forwards very much to returning to writing more Pakse stories, but was waiting until her son had graduated before attempting to write them. As he has now graduated I am waiting with eager anticipation to hear whether she has returned to write more in this world.

Speaking about this author i was more interested in reading her SF. What book/series are seen as her best ?

The last SF book of hers I read was Remnant Population, which I very much enjoyed. It was unusual in that the heroine was an old lady! You don't get many books where the heroine is someone who you identify with as your granny!!

I've been told, however, that for 'one off' reads, The Speed of Dark is the one to try. I've been meaning to get a copy of this for some time. You can see more information here: Elizabeth Moon: Bibliography - Non-series Books

Three series;Serrano Legacy (seven volumes , first three available under one cover), Planet Pirates, three volumes (with Anne McCaffery and ?Jody Lynne Nye?, a follow up series to McCaffery's "Dinosaur planet") and Vatta's War, five volumes, of which I have only read three as the others aren't in paperback to the best of my knowledge.
All military side; she was a marine, and so can get the details right, having lived them, all emphasising the combination of discipline and initiative needed in a modern army (and all assuming these will be the virtues required in future conflicts) , with believable (and not over intrusive) technology.

Generally civilian and comercial authorities are represented in a fairly unsympathetic light, though free market forces are considered goog; very much the American dream projected into the future.

I've been told, however, that for 'one off' reads, The Speed of Dark is the one to try. I've been meaning to get a copy of this for some time.

The Speed of Dark is a fabulous book, Mark. Unlike much of the author's other work, it isn't military SF but it has a very obvious good/evil divide (my only slight criticism would be that the ultimate villain has no redeeming features and so risks being a little too obvious on occasion). The book draws you right into the world of an autistic savant and the trials such an individual has to face, while being a rollicking good read at the same time. I believe Elizabeth has an autistic child herself and this personal experience adds real depth to the narrative.

I was lucky enough to read a review of the book when it first came out and so bought and read it at a time when few others seemed aware of it, championing its cause to all who would listen. Shortly afterwards, it appeared on the Clarke Award shortlist and then went on to win the Nebula Award for best novel; thoroughly deserved.

I'd highly recommend Speed of Dark to any lover of good quality SF.

Me too, Speed of Dark is absolutely astounding. I'd compare it to Flowers of Algernon in the way the author is able to communicate the autist's internal feelings to the reader. A definite must for any SF fan!

I've been meaning to get the Paksenarrion books, but I haven't done so yet. Too many other books on my TBR pile.

I find Elizabeth Moon to be a solid writer. Certainly "Speed of Dark" is the finest thing she has ever written.

I went ahead and ordered the book. I'll update this thread when I get around to reading it.

I read it when it first came out. Fortunately for me, they published it pretty fast. It was three volumes, each one released about a month apart. I hate waiting a year or more for the next book in a series or trilogy. I think you will enjoy it. I also thoroughly enjoyed the Planet Pirates trilogy that she wrote with Anne McCaffrey and Jody Lyn Nye.

I second the comments of Ian and others on Speed of Dark. I’ve also read the Serrano Legacy books. I thought the first 2 and last 2 books were entertaining reads, but the middle 3 were disappointing in my view.

I have started reading Sheepfarmer's Daughter as my first book of Moon.

I remember hearing nice words about it and the female soldier kind of story drew me in.

So far a solid straightforward military fantasy. Will be interesting to see where the story goes.

I liked Speed of dark..not bad. As for her scifi stuff it's as far as I can see just space opera, though I understand why.

As for Paksenarrion, I think it's a cut above most fantasy you can find on the shelves. I can not praise it highly enough. This triology is simply a wonderful read and has few peers.

I wish her and her familly the best.

The only books of hers that I have read are the Paksenarrion set, and I thoroughly enjoyed them. I would have no reservations recommending them. The story stayed with me for awhile after I read it.

Well, I'm certainly looking forward to the possibility of further Paksenarrion books. I so thoroughly loved the trilogy, that I own three copies of the omnibus, in case I wear one out. I've read The Legacy of Gird, the duology prequel to it and really enjoyed the first book, Surrender None, but thought that Liar's Oath was pretty weak - I felt it had kind of a non-ending to it.

I'd certainly welcome a trilogy of films made of Pakse, a la LOTR, and think a film based on Surrender None would be quite good, as well. I've alway envisioned Sean Bean in the role of Gird.

I've always thought that the Pakse storyline would translate well into a tv series too. Maybe call it "The Deeds of Paksenarrion".

I've read Remnant Population, and the first two Vatta's War novels, and thoroughly enjoyed them. The Planet Pirates omnibus is in my TBR pile.

Sounds like I should look for a copy of The Speed of Dark, eh?

Well, I'm certainly looking forward to the possibility of further Paksenarrion books. I so thoroughly loved the trilogy, that I own three copies of the omnibus, in case I wear one out. I've read The Legacy of Gird, the duology prequel to it and really enjoyed the first book, Surrender None, but thought that Liar's Oath was pretty weak - I felt it had kind of a non-ending to it.

I'd certainly welcome a trilogy of films made of Pakse, a la LOTR, and think a film based on Surrender None would be quite good, as well. I've alway envisioned Sean Bean in the role of Gird.

I've always thought that the Pakse storyline would translate well into a tv series too. Maybe call it "The Deeds of Paksenarrion".

I've read Remnant Population, and the first two Vatta's War novels, and thoroughly enjoyed them. The Planet Pirates omnibus is in my TBR pile.

Sounds like I should look for a copy of The Speed of Dark, eh?

So there are more than the trilogy about Paks world ?

Im glad to see you guys rating the trilogy so high. So far i dont know what to expect since i havent read much storywise.

So there are more than the trilogy about Paks world ?

Im glad to see you guys rating the trilogy so high. So far i dont know what to expect since i havent read much storywise.

Yup.

The Legacy of Gird consists of two books ... Surrender None, and Liar's Oath. I think the only way they're available new at this time is in the omnibus version.

It takes place about 500 years previous to the action in The Deed of Paksenarrion. Unlike TDoP, the two books in the prequel can be read independently of each other, as they're not continuations of each other in the same way as the novels in TDoP. Surrender None tells the story of Gird's life, and Liar's Oath tells the story of Luap, an assistant of Gird.

I kind of think the three books in The Deed of Paksenarrion may have actually been written as one book, and a similar decision as to what happened to Lord of the Rings was made when it came time to publish it. I've heard that Tolkein had actually meant LOTR to be one book, but Unwin made the decision to split it into three volumes, and released them in close interludes.

There are one or two things in Surrender None that somewhat rely on backstory from TDoP, but I think a person who hasn't read the trilogy would be able to understand what's going on. Not so much with the way Liar's Oath relies on backstory from the other novels.

I wasn't that impressed by the prequels...but I freely admit it may simply suffer by comparison to Deed of Paksenarrion.

It's nice to hear that I'm not the only one who owns multiple copies of the trilogy. I have 3 trade papers and a hard back...I've also given it as a gift several times. As I said, I love this trilogy.

I've since bought the book and I'm sorry to say that I didn't like it. It had too much of a military slant for me. I gave up during the first book, Sheepfarmer's Daughter.