Get 'em hooked!

Highlander II

There can be only one!!
How many people have you gotten hooked on either the Dresden series or the Alera series?

I've gotten, no fewer than 10 people directly hooked on Dresden and I don't even KNOW how many indirectly.

Here's what I do:
1) Talk about the series to people. Not a lot, just a bit - get 'em interested.
2) Give 'em a copy of book one - Storm Front. Yes, that's right *give* it to them. They don't have to give it back, they don't have to keep it, but it's THEIRS.
3) Wait for them to come back and tell me they hate me now b/c they have to go buy the rest of the series!

To that, I just smile and nod and say 'See, told you they were good!'.

I know I've bought more than 25 copies of "Storm Front" alone. Lots of people read it and get hooked and get into the series. Some don't. Both are okay. I love it when people come back and yell at me b/c I made them buy books! :)

(( btw - I think Jim likes it too! :D ))

I have completed 80% of the hook on my younger brother. Im gonna complete it soon.

Its weird that i have to tell about whats so good about Dresden files. He reads alot roleplaying games books that are practically knock offs on Dresden like fantasy.

Other people i know who read SFF already know Dresden, have read or about to read it.

Hmmm - have you told your brother that the author used to be a big tabletop RPG'er? Or that he used to LARP? I don't know that he still does, if he does, it's not nearly as often, since he's busy writing n' stuff. *g*

Can't hurt, right? =)

That's impressive. I've only hooked 3 other people directly on the Dresden Files, and 1 that I know of indirectly. But that indirect person is reading my copies. Ha. He's a work friend of the person I introduced to Dresden. So my copies have been read by 5 people including myself. Jim probably wouldn't like the loss in sales but hopefully he would be happy that many people enjoy his books.

So far, I've managed to hook my sister on reading the Dresden Files. She was looking for a different take on modern fantasy so I let her borrow the first book. Needless to say, she loved it.:)

I got my mom hooked on the 'Dresden Files' when she asked to borrow a good book to read. She is slowly working through them. :)

I sort of took my cue from an author who actually gave away free copies of the first book in his series to get ppl hooked on it so they'd buy the rest.

So far - it's a pretty good deal. Though people always look at me funny when I tell them they can have the book. =)