Photo Challenge - Discussion Thread

Re: July Photo Challenge - Blue

Yes, but I still love mypicture. I specially went out and bought things for it and tried to shoot the composition I wanted over two sittings, to get at least one shot with the effect I was after.

And now I can't use it!

I can't wait to see some test shots of your camera. You'll have to post some up. And you have some stunning scenery (and blue skies) in Australia.

Yes, but I still love mypicture. I specially went out and bought things for it and tried to shoot the composition I wanted over two sittings, to get at least one shot with the effect I was after.

And now I can't use it!

I can't wait to see some test shots of your camera. You'll have to post some up. And you have some stunning scenery (and blue skies) in Australia.

Well if you're not going to enter it in the challenge, I do hope you at least let us see it in PotD!

And, yes, we have some stunning scenery here, it's just a matter of getting to it. It's a big place, unfortunately...

Well if you're not going to enter it in the challenge, I do hope you at least let us see it in PotD!

And, yes, we have some stunning scenery here, it's just a matter of getting to it. It's a big place, unfortunately...
That it is but I have a couple of Aussie scenery shots to post :)

*points the lost ball in the direction of http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/46208-photos-of-the-day.html ;)*
I think this thread is to be kept free of general photo posts..

as for me - bah I think for blue the sky, sea and eyes are going to be top choices -- for me I have a different eye in mind - anyone got a vice? I need it to keep the head still of my subject!

Thanks OR. I think I must have missed something in this thread. I am a bit lost. I shall edit :)

Hey everyone, sorry I have been absent for a few days. :( Our computer completely died on Thursday! :mad: My husband spent many hours this weekend trying to fix it and was unable to do so. He's taking it to work today, so hopefully he will be able to recover everything we need from the hard drive so we can start over. Unfortunately, I took some new photo's on Thursday, which hadn't been backed up yet (our computer was set to back everything up on another hard drive on Fridays) so I'm a little upset about that, hopefully he will be able to get them back, because they were for the challenge. Ok, rant is over....

Oh, and what happens if two or more people upload the same kind of shot? I swear I took one of my photos on Wednesday (it being Friday today), and I see a similar idea already.... Can I still upload it at the end of the month? (That's when I'm uploading my entries.) You can ask Momo if you don't believe me - Momo was there when I took the shot!

There is no rule against posting the same type of shots. Just because someone already posted a shot similar to what you want to shoot, doesn't mean you can't post it for the challenge anyway. People will just vote for whichever one they feel is better. So please still take them Leish! I'm sure we are bound to have a couple similar shots in our upcoming challenges as well. :)

So is there a rule against photo manipulation? I haven't seen anything against it as yet.

I have no problem with manipulating your photo's, as long as it is a photo you took. I think this could be addressed each month by whoever is deciding that month's theme. Perhaps some themes would be better suited not to allow it. But I will say this month, as long as it is 'Blue' then go for it. I think Aniri's eye photo is great and perfectly acceptable to be submitted.

He's Blue! And He Has A Camera!

I do love you new avatar Maji! :)

It was a cry because someone has a picture almost identical to mine, and though I finished it quite a few hours before this other person posted, people will think I've copied (especially because my version was saved as a PSP file and I only saved it as a JPG today, after this other person posted).

I need to find a new idea now. My idea was 90% similar to this other person's.

Like I said before Leish I don't think you have to find a new idea, especially if you bought stuff just to get this shot, you should definately still submit it. Even if they are similar shots, each persons will still be unique and their own shot, so I hope you do still submit it. :)

Like I said before Leish I don't think you have to find a new idea, especially if you bought stuff just to get this shot, you should definately still submit it. Even if they are similar shots, each persons will still be unique and their own shot, so I hope you do still submit it.

YAY! Thank you, Lady. I kept thinking about my shot last night, wishing I could still enter it in the competition. I'd specially edited and resized it and everything!

And now I can still enter! :)

I swear that I did not nick the idea off anyone else. I've had both my ideas since you started the challenge and I HATE the thought of copying others' work. I have my own ideas and I like using them.

'What's going on here?' you may well ask! Okay, so after some discussion with Lady, I've gone ahead and seperated out the posts in the original 'July Photo Challenge - Blue' thread into two seperate threads. The entries and comments upon those entries are now housed over here, in the thread of the original title. That should make it easier to keep track of entries, without having to skim through pages of unrelated discussion. At the end of the month I'll add a poll to the thread for voting.

This discussion thread is for broader discussion of the challenge - rules, ideas, pictures of small blue dots bearing cameras, that sort of thing. It will span months, so it will always be open. Photo Challenge HQ, if you like.

Hope that isn't too confusing...

Just thinking ahead to next month - if winner chooses the next theme, fair enough, but July's winner won't be known until some time after August starts. I'm figuring July voting begins first of August, and stays open for a week? Which leaves us without a theme-picker...

So, August's theme-chooser out of a hat, then?

We can't shorten August? You don't think two weeks would be long enough for people to post their photos? Maybe it wouldn't.

Well it wouldn't be a month long wait it would only be about 2 weeks.

We can't shorten August? You don't think two weeks would be long enough for people to post their photos? Maybe it wouldn't.

I think the simplest way to do it would be to keep it a monthly thing (hence the monthly of the title), open voting in the first week of the next month, and the winner of that month picks the next month. Hence July's winner picks September, August's October, and so on. That way we only have one month (August) that needs a chooser nominated.

But then, we didn't ever really decide that winner would pick, so if anyone has any objects to that, speak now or forever hold your peace...

I think winner being the one to choose is a good idea. Unless, like Cul said, there is anyone opposed to it. And if the winner has already posted a theme, they should nominate someone else so everyone gets a chance at posting a theme.

I was also thinking that we could put the poll up around the 25th of the month. That way, it gives everyone a little over 3 weeks from when the challenge was started to take their pictures and post them up, and there would be the final week of the month to vote. If we did it that way, we would probably know who would be the 'winner' and choosing the next month's theme, and they could have the new theme posted on the 1st of August. Unless people feel they need the entire 4 weeks to take pics for the challenge.

Hey - Does anybody know why my picture was removed? It sure couldn't have been seen as offensive - It was just a baby wearing sunglasses in a blue chair. (?)

- Z.