Sam Barone

biodroid

A.D.D.
Saw one of books at the bookshop and it looked interesting. Sam Barone. Has anyone read him, I like the idea that its not about the romans like other authors write about, this I think is about Sparta etc.

Here are 2 pics of his books
51pv6qyHfJL._SS500_.jpg

51Zy86R-f1L._SS500_.jpg

Last edited:
Haven't read them as yey but thier on my wish list, they do sound interresting though

I like historical fiction like Conn Iggulden, going to try Scarrows Eagle series but was thinking, a lot of the Roman empire has been romanticised by a few authors and this would be a great series to get into. Its about Sparta and the Greeks, what more could you ask for, the best warriors probably came from this era (will stop rambling). Anyway, I just thought it could give us a break from all the Roman stories and move along to something new. I would like to see some new upcoming or existing books featuring stuff like the Mayans, or the Russians so many years ago like Ivan the Terrible. Or even better "real life" (not that most of these writers write historically accurate) pirate stories that they have shows for on the History channel.

I am mid-way through the first book and so far it is ok. It is about the founding of Uruk or Ur, it is not exactly clear. I will go for Uruk though as the geography and history sort of fits. At the moment I would be slow to recommend it to anyone.

Bio whats the series about and what does Barone do well ?

I need a new HF author. Anyone writing about Ancient Greek, Persia is very interesting.

Bio whats the series about and what does Barone do well ?

I need a new HF author. Anyone writing about Ancient Greek, Persia is very interesting.

One of the best authors on Ancient Greece is Mary Renault. She is a classic. The first book of hers that I read was Bull From the Sea, followed by The King Must Die. They are about Theseus, the slayer of the Minotaur.

I really enjoyed "Dawn of Empire" and "Empire Rising". There's meant to be a third one coming out at some stage as well. The books are set in early Mesopotamia in an interesting period when the traditional nomadic way of life is being challenged by the growth of agriculture-based towns and communities. This conflict gives rise to battle, so there's plenty of action.

Sam Barone is a good story teller who has created a historical series which has more depth than the average sword and sandals epic. The hero Eskkar is not just barbarian brawn, but an effective strategic commander and wise enough to make use of the capabilities of those around him. That includes the clever slave girl Trella who becomes his wife and partner.

Quote from a review which I thought said it well:
<The main characters are presented as people that you can really like and respect. They are thoughtful, introspective, grow in stature, and have interesting relationships. The women tend to play a major role and know how to inspire their men and share in their success.>

Sam Barone has an excellent website which gives lots of background information on the Bronze Age period in which his novels are set.
Unfortunately I can't add it here, but if you google "Sam Barone" you should find it easily enough.

Back