How you attack the "To be read" pile...

Blimey, I don't know how people only have one or two books on their to-read piles. On my Exeter bookshelf, I have about thirty books to be read still, and on my home bookshelf, I have about fifty. But then I admit that my weakness is that I can't stop buying books. If I step into a bookshop, I know I'm going to leave with a book.

My method of deciding what to read next is usually a case of walking over to the bookshelf, take a browse and pick out one that interests me at that point. I rarely read books from a series one after the other, and like others here, if I've read a fantasy book, I'm likely to go for a horror or science fiction (or other genre) to mix it up a little, and so on.

Once upon a time I didn't have a to-read pile and I even found time to reread books. Now I don't think I'll ever get rid of my to-be-read pile. But at least I'll never be without something to read!

Another thing that tends to get in the way of my reading pile is my degree. I have to do a lot of reading for that, so for about ten weeks at a time I can't really find time to read anything but course books (although I'm not saying that the course books aren't an interesting read in themselves...)

I don't know about anyone else, but I could hardly be classed as rich, having been down to my last $60 a few months ago....:rolleyes:

Nonetheless, books are a high priority with me, for a number of reasons; and, as with Allegra, I have less of a TBR pile than a TBR room....

As for me: I mix and mingle several different projects where my reading is concerned. With my going through the classics of the weird field, I largely follow the order in which they're discussed in HPL's Supernatural Horror in Literature (with some slight variations, and with additional and supplementary or ancillary works not mentioned by him, but associated with the list, nonetheless). With fantasy, if I'm reading a series, I generally go through that entire series, which often means a reread of several (to quite a few) books, picking up the new stuff where it belongs. With non-fiction, it is usually something related to other things I'm currently reading or am writing about. With general literature, sometimes this is the case; sometimes it's something that just seems particularly interesting at the time. And so on....

I have a bad habit of reading 3 or 4 books at a time... unless the next in line of Dresden books is out, then that's my sole focus... so my TBR pile is more of a 'BiP' (books in progress) pile...

Though, there are those select few sitting on the shelves that haven't been touched since they were brought in... some might be eventually, some may get sent to the used bookstore or the library.

I have no system. Just 'whatever I feel like reading'. ;)

My TBR. is at 7 books, however three are the start of a series, so that means its a much bigger number in reality. I tend to read them series by series, often breaking them up with a different genre.

I think I have about 150 in that pile right now, though I do read them as quickly as I get them. I just grab what looks good, and I rarely read a series through, though vacation is next week and I am either taking all the Ekumen books I have, or all the Known Space books. Have not decided yet.

I will often buy a book out of passion, then find something Id rather read in my own pile. I just got a reissue copy of Make Room! Make Room! a few weeks ago, and was totally excited about it, then put it in my shelf and have read a dozen or so others since then. I guess what Im saying is that I cant really say what makes me pick up a particular book out of the pile. I just go with what I want to read at that very moment.

I've got somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 books on my to-read pile. I used to read fairly slowly -- well, not read slowly so much as not allocate much time for reading -- so I would only get through about two books a month. In the last year or so I've picked up the pace to a book a week, and the last couple weeks I've been reading shorter books, so I've been getting through 2-3 a week. However, I'm going to be heading back into some longer tomes now, and that pace will slow down again.

The problem, though, is that I buy books faster than I read them. I generally buy 2 new books a week, every week, and add to that any visits to used book sales or shops (there's a HUGE used book sale in my town twice a year to benefit the local libraries, and I picked up 46 books at it this spring...). So while I'm pleased with my rate of consumption, it doesn't come close to matching my rate of purchase.

Oh, and I always pick my next book with a roll of the dice... Unless it's something loaned to me, in which case I read it right away.

I generally just ask myself "What do I feel like reading?" and from there just pick the first book that I see that fits that description. (However i have the habit of reading books I have already read before ones I haven't)

Not only must you folks be rich, but your bookshops must be much better than mine at getting new stock.

Rich? Not according to the slim figure on my bank account. However when I'm looking at my bookcases and CD collections, I do feel rich. Rich and happy and very content. :)

My local bookshops can't be better than yours, Chris. Being a devotee of online bookshops, I hardly buy any books in a store nowadays unless travelling. In fact I wouldn't mind buying everything online(except new perfume) because it saves me so much time, and money too.

I have a pile of 10 on my bedside table and have got stuck in a boring one which I look at, shiver and decide to go to sleep instead. I will have to chuck it as it is stopping me from reading that pile (I'll soon not be able to see at all if it gets any taller) but I hate not reading something I've spent my hard earned pennies on. And then I have at least four bookcases (and a loft) with other not-yet-reads, so the one I can't get into will have to go and I'll start on the next.

Ha at least i'm not alone in the purchase > comsumption stakes

I try to view it as a kind of book "retirement fund" - one day i'll have the time to get to them all :)

I guess to some extent it comes as a reaction to those times when i was young and broke (student) and really had to strictly ration myself for luxuries like books etc

I try to view it as a kind of book "retirement fund" - one day i'll have the time to get to them all :)

Hmm - it doesn't quite work like that! When I was working I had all those long hours on the train to read - now I'm retired I just don't know where the time goes!:D

Ha at least i'm not alone in the purchase > comsumption stakes

I guess to some extent it comes as a reaction to those times when i was young and broke (student) and really had to strictly ration myself for luxuries like books etc

Course you could always take them with you:)

I think I am down to about 8 tbr atm as I've forced myself to stop buying more, just adding books I'd like to my wish list on amazon to track them.

I just go for books that suit my mood, I had thought I would read Rothfus next but Lynch seemed to suit my mood better. Now that's finished not sure what I am going for next

One at a time...

Though I seriously believe this is the domain of GOLLUM...

Course you could always take them with you:)

Oh, goodness. When I think if what a packing crate full of books weighs, a coffinful? They'd need a crane to lower you to your rest.

And a solar panel on the tombstone so you could keep enough light to read by (or perhaps a translucent quartz stone piping the light down, but then you could only read during the daytime)

Shallow grave, glass top, job done. A bell would be nice though. as for daylight you'll need some rest!

I don't have a 'to be read' pile in the sense of a pile of unread books. I shelve them when I buy them so there's several hundred unread books scattered on shelves all over my home.

Next to my bed I have a small pile (usually five or six) books that are currently being read. When the pile runs down and all the books have been returned to the shelves I walk around and pick out books to rebuild the pile.

It very much depends on the mood at that time. They might all end up being non-fiction, or collections of stories for example.

Right this minute there is Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones, The History of Mr Polly by HG Wells, Dark Alchemy edited by Jack Dann & Gardner Dozois, Love In A Cold Climae & Other Novels by Nancy Mitford and I Am A Cat by Soseki Natsume.

Interesting to see how others view this common issue. I’ve been trolling several used bookstores on regular basis for the past 3 years or so. My pile isn’t as imposing as some, but I’m in the deep end with around 150 books. Technically, it’s not a pile; they’re stacked in columns on top of a waist high bookshelf. Nevertheless, pile conveys the right idea.

I read a lot of series, which keeps my TBR-pile and hunting list well populated. I don’t read all that fast or always find time for much reading. I read around 50 books a year. My acquisition pace has abated in recent months, but it’s still a bit higher than my reading pace. Which leaves me with an ever-growing TBR-big pile. I’d like to reach equilibrium, but I don’t know when or if I will.

Generally my selection process is more whimsical than anything else. Often it’s driven by a desire for a change of pace from the previous book or two, and sometimes I deliberately pick a new author. Recently I added a technical criterion to my selection process. I noticed that I had a large number of partially read series in my collection (34). I have all of the books for a little over a third of these, but I’m still hunting for one or more volumes for the rest. I also have over 50 series that I haven’t started yet, both complete and incomplete. I’ve decided to try and cut down on the number of open series by finishing 3 to 5 open ones for every new one I start, and to only start new ones where I have the complete series for a while. By next year, I expect to have the open number down to a more manageable number,say 15.

I have a large to read list, but I only buy books as I read them, as there is a pretty girl at the local bookstore.

Nothing like a little incentive.