Photos of the Day

IMG_20180106_131944.png

Its quiet in here...
Here's a pic from my bike ride yesterday. Its been 4 years since I was in the saddle and I'm having to stick to short rides for now.

Attachments

• IMG_20180618_124244-01-1024x672.jpeg
    IMG_20180618_124244-01-1024x672.jpeg
    373.5 KB · Views: 207
Its quiet in here...
Here's a pic from my bike ride yesterday. Its been 4 years since I was in the saddle and I'm having to stick to short rides for now.

I do like the pic - lovely view, shame some vandal has thrown their bike away there
thrupth.gif

rotfl3.gif
rotfl3.gif
rotfl3.gif
rotfl3.gif

I started to look at the beginning of this thread and pretty much all there is there are boxes saying picture not found.

Not so long ago, Parson, we had to host our photo images on a third-party server, (Flickr, Photobucket, even Facebook) and post a link thereto on Chrons. Chron's server hadn't the capacity for mass storage of random, large image files.

Many of those third-party hosts have fallen to disuse, permission changes or otherwise neglected or defunct..

Fortunately, for the last year or two, we've been able to post image files directly to the Chrons server.

There should be few more broken links to images until we manage swamp Brian's server with Bizzarro cartoons.

Last edited:
I started to look at the beginning of this thread and pretty much all there is there are boxes saying picture not found.

Yep, I found the same thing. Back in those days people didn't believe in downloading full images. Pity.

One good bit of news is that Photobucket fired their previous manager and have reversed their policy on image hosting and lowered their prices. So embedded images from photobucket should have restored functionality now.

One good bit of news is that Photobucket fired their previous manager and have reversed their policy on image hosting and lowered their prices. So embedded images from photobucket should have restored functionality now.
Hmm interesting. I have tons of photos on there that I can't share (its even awkward to download!) So I set up an account with Imgur

Yeh Pbucket is a pain to use these days; which is a shame as in its day it was simple, quick and very professional to use.

Also in other news I got a Robinson Moth trap -- and -- I discovered that there is such a thing as too many moths!

29044072068_54fd483cd6_o.jpg

Lime Hawkmoth (Mimas tiliae)

It is possible to tell male from female and I believe this is a male, I think I also mucked up my white balance a little in editing as when I look at it now it doesn't seem as green as it should be (might have to muck around with that and fix that and re-upload it later)

I had a Flickr account for a while. (I guess I still do) It became a weekly game to figure out how to baffle the new anti-share algorithm. There's always a work-around. A fun game if you're into that sort of puzzle; but, ultimately a pain in the ass. Especially in view that they are my photos, they belong to me.

Hm, I guess I haven't posted an image in a while. I thought we still had to have a third party provider. (Being a basic near non-techy, it was too much work. If I can download here maybe I'll give it a try sometime. (Thanks!)

I just place the image on my desktop and hit attach files. I've never had a problem. Or am I missing something?

Just the time element. This conversation started with Parson asking about broken photo links on the early pages of this thread, which started in 2008. It has been just a year or two since we could attach images directly to the Chron's server. Yes, it really did used to be this complicated.

Last edited:
Pretty cute, Parson. Great photo of great-looking kids.

Anti-share? You've lost me there I've never encountered that on flickr

I guess "Anti-share" is a clumsy term, on my part.

So...

Flickr's goal was to have the user share the whole page, surrounding your image, with all the ads and logos, and whatnot; which is great if you want your friends to be able to browse your whole collection.

In the case where you just want to embed only the single image file in a post on a different server ; you have to be able to isolate the URL for the actual image file. (as opposed to the URL for the page which contains it.)

Normally, you "open image in new page" in your browser. Then you have the specific URL for the image file, only, in the address window of the new browser page.

Flickr went through a series of schema to prevent the user from isolating the lone image file: deactivating the "open image in new page" function, and others. I don't remember the details. I remember, at one point, actually needing to read through the HTML source code in order to ferret out the image location.

I haven't looked at my Flickr account for a couple of years, so I have no idea what it looks like now. I no longer need that function.

Ahh I recall flickr wanted you to use their own BB code that had the photo and a linkback to flickr, but never about showing the "whole page". That said I just use the "download" button that takes you into the pages where it shows each size and then copy-paste the image url from there :)

Never really had a problem sharing from flickr though I was a little concerned about how Yahoo kept handling it; though now its owned by Smugmug I think its far safer as at least Smugmug have money coming in and are in the same market area (photographs).