Photos of the Day

Erin99

Okay, I thought this might work well here. This thread is like "Picture of the Day", except it's a place where we can upload our photos and talk about the shots in-depth for any who want to know how we edited/composed/etc the pictures (the technical side of photography). Or we can simply give our opinions on the photos.

I noticed that sometimes the talk gets a little too techy for The Lounge, so a dedicated thread here for photos might work.

Here goes. I took these shots this evening, on my trip to the Eden Valley in Cumbria.

EdenValley_32.jpg

EdenValley_82.jpg

(Straight from the camera, only cropped)

EdenValley_79.jpg

EdenValley_85.jpg

Long Meg:
EdenValley_62.jpg

And some more (quite a few of Long Meg and her Daughters, sorry):

treeshdr.jpg

HDRStones.jpg

EdenValley_60.jpg

(Pesky shadows!)

EdenValley_67.jpg

EdenValley_65.jpg

And then my camera started going wrong again. :( I can't wait until I can afford a new one...

blergh_EdenValley_64.jpg

So I had to start cropping the black edge afterward:

EdenValley_58.jpg

EdenValley_52.jpg

EdenValley_49.jpg

EdenValley_106.jpg

Done!

I hope others use this thread. I've seen some stunning photos from members. :)

Very good idea, Leish. In fact, I'd brought up the topic of a dedicated photography thread with the mods, but hadn't gotten around to actually doing anything about it! At the moment I only have a few scans of prints, and those are at home, but I will post some when I get home today. And hopefully I'll have a shiny new DSLR by week's end to contribute even more!

Some great pics there, too. Love the colours in the sunsets. And I'd kill to have some landscape like that around here!

As always beautiful sunsets! :)
You must must must get a wide angle lens when you get your DSLR! (note the when! not an if!).
Its a shame that the ruin shots came out so noisy, but I suspect that it was failing light at the time - the only solution might have been a tripod mount and a longer exposure, but chances are the grain did not show on the LCD much (if at all)
*tries to pick a favourite sunset - and fails!)

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

and to celebrate the new thread here is my contribution from today - a shorter trip out and less shots, but one took an age to process!

That third pic is great, OR. I like the first over the second - perhaps too much misting, looks a little artificial. Though that may be because of the first shot...

Leisha, you are going to drive me to a life of crime! Those shots are beautiful and makes my desire to visit the UK even more intense. Now, what bank do I hold up to get the money.

Yay! When I saw you lurking, Cul, I thought you'd come to move the thread back to the Lounge, or something. Heh.

Can't wait to see some shots by you.

And, OR, I love the dew on the second flower! Although, seeing as it's not on the first, I'm thinking you've sprayed some water on to it... I did that once, great effect!

Oh, and I found some I hadn't uploaded:

EdenValley_92.jpg

EdenValley_93.jpg

EdenValley_94.jpg

EdenValley_95.jpg

EdenValley_96.jpg

I love the look of the clouds in these shots. Very whispy.

Leisha, you are going to drive me to a life of crime! Those shots are beautiful and makes my desire to visit the UK even more intense. Now, what bank do I hold up to get the money.

LOLOL! Sorry, Murphy. :D

OR, I love the pink rose. :) Beautiful! And that cat still looks very very sweet. She so much reminds me of my old cat. :)

Edit: Oh, and the graininess in the images is because my shutter or aperture or something is freezing in place, which is why my shots have this black edge to them. Grrr! Plus, it was really bright and sunny and I left my ISO on 200! :eek: Oops... I always forget to lower it...

And now for the one that took so long to process - because it was 4 photos stacked!!
Would have worked well, but half way through shooting a little bit of wind picked up and threw them out of sync! So I spent ages on the last 2 shots trying to get them to line up and match - sort of worked, but not was well as I would have liked

IMG_0018.jpg

and a fun edit!
IMG_0018b.jpg

Whoa! What did you do to the last shot? I love the vivid colour. :eek: But that pink is so beautiful in the top one. I'd love a larger version as my desktop...

And the stacked image is great, you can hardly see the blur. I had to look close, and even then it took me a minute to spot the corner blur in both edits.

for that last one I raised the contrast to max - and then dropped the brightness till the background was black - I never thought it would get that inner light effect!

If I copy that picture to Paint Shop Pro X2 (THE best photo manipulation software :D), then up the contrast to the max, I get this:

eek2.jpg

:eek:

And if I then decrease the brightness I get this:

eek.jpg

:eek:

I think I prefer yours.