Photos of the Day

Nice shots Waylandertoo. I particularly like the kid with the pigeon on his head:D
Here's some shots of the Falkirk Wheel.
wheel002_zpseoz0ktry.jpg

wheel003_zpsrz4ovp9k.jpg

wheel004_zpsswt7goi2.jpg

Cheers Foxbat - loving the FW. Seems like quite something to see in person!

Something a little more sobering :cry:

Work Makes You Free
Very sobering indeed.
Here's a couple of pictures of a Jaguar still in its Gulf War colours. It has a lovely rear on its nose;)

Jag001_zpswmt1vepu.jpg

jag002_zpsl272vjot.jpg

Hey Foxbat, inquiry from long, long away. What exactly is the Falkirk Wheel?

Nice shots Waylandertoo. I particularly like the kid with the pigeon on his head:D
Here's some shots of the Falkirk Wheel.
wheel002_zpseoz0ktry.jpg

wheel003_zpsrz4ovp9k.jpg

wheel004_zpsswt7goi2.jpg

I know it well, and the Antonine fort just over the crest of the hill (we've guided tourists there a few times, and you REALLY appreciate caligae).

Hey Foxbat, inquiry from long, long away. What exactly is the Falkirk Wheel?

In simple terms, it's a lock, connecting the Forth and Clyde/Caledonian canals.

It replaces 11 conventional locks, and is so perfectly balanced that it operates on the same amount of power as a domestic kettle.

We get involved because - as the shortest distance between two points - the Forth and Clyde Canal and the Antonine Wall parallel each other, despite being constructed 1700 years apart.

In simple terms, it's a lock, connecting the Forth and Clyde/Caledonian canals.

It replaces 11 conventional locks, and is so perfectly balanced that it operates on the same amount of power as a domestic kettle.

We get involved because - as the shortest distance between two points - the Forth and Clyde Canal and the Antonine Wall parallel each other, despite being constructed 1700 years apart.
Apparently the lead architect (Tony Kettle) used his daughter's Lego to produce a working model to demonstrate the principle of operation. The Lego Group must have been fair chuffed when they heard this:D

Again, forgive my ignorance but is this the set of locks joining the Atlantic Ocean with the North Sea?

The Forth and Clyde Canal runs from the Forth at Grangemouth (North Sea) to the Clyde and on to the Atlantic. The Falkirk Wheel connects the Union Canal to the Forth and Clyde. The Union Canal runs from Falkirk to the heart of Edinburgh and stops there. The Wheel replaces a series of 11 locks. You can't reach the North Sea or Atlantic directly from it and would have to do that via the Forth and Clyde.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Canal_(Scotland)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forth_and_Clyde_Canal