Blackpowder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranwulf

Tell me what you think. Any constructive criticism is appreciated ;)

Illifer crouched before the short wooden door and glanced over his shoulder to signal Roland to silence before easing it open a crack. Outside all was bathed in the dim purple light of the two moons, Auxis, the red one, and Aquas, the blue, both shining full in the cloudy sky. The third, the green moon Gen was absent, floating through the sky on the other side of the planet of course. “Looks clear” He whispered, unwilling to take any chance of being heard.

The door made a sickening groan as it slowly opened, causing the pair to wince painfully. Illifer slithered out onto the surface first, creating an ominous silhouette against the cave wall with his black leather garments. Roland didn’t look as impressive, his wrists still clad in iron shackles and a torn grayish brown shirt hanging from his shoulders. The two walked around the rocky outcropping, tiny considering the many subterrain caverns beneath it, and began creeping through a field of mining equipment, heading to the forest beyond and the city beyond that.

Illifer, crouched, snuck up to a carriage mounted crane and looked beyond to where several men garbed in the colors of Kelewan were joking and eating what appeared to be some sort of meat around a fire. “Scouted around a bit looking for a clear path, but this place is more heavily guarded than I expected, so this route had to do. We need to crawl through the grass over there” he said, pointing to the right.

Roland nodded silently but still looked quite a bit nervous. They regarded each other for a few moments until Illifer let himself down onto his belly and Roland followed suit. They began very slowly, clawing their way across the wet ground until the grass became taller and they could move a little faster. They circled the camp and managed to get behind a similar crane on the other side, bringing their soaked bodies out of the grass and back into stealthy crouches. From there is was just a matter of taking it slow and easy for another hundred paces, then slipping into the woods.

Illifer could just about touch the rough bark of a tree when a shout brought him flying into the air and landing facing the voice, sword drawn.

“HALT!” There stood three soldiers of the city-state, wearing the customary red and gold, two of them leveling rifles at the pair.

The outlaws looked at each other in trepidation and threw themselves into the woods, hurling through the lush moist vegetation at speeds that shouldn’t be possible.

The two riflemen fired their weapons at the quickly receding figures and were rewarded only with the crack of lead on wood.

Illifer and Roland sped through the foliage as the alarm was raised in the glade’s garrison. After what seemed like minutes but was in reality only seconds, they emerged onto the road leading from Kelewan to the mine, and were spotted by a larger group of soldiers racing down the trail. “THERE THEY ARE!” The pair sped back into the woods, abandoning all sense of direction, the sound of a half dozen bullets slamming into trees hurrying them along. The soldiers shouted to indicate their position and readily followed them.

Illifer was surprised at Roland’s level of fitness. Working in the mines for months as punishment for petty theft had done his body good, he was no longer the chubby boy Illifer remembered.

“sh*t!” Roland shouted as his foot hooked under a pronounced tree root, bringing him crashing to the ground accompanied by a sickening crunch. He looked at his foot, bent completely around the root, and the magnitude of the wound donned on him, “AHHHHHHHH!” he cried in agony.

“Shut up! Shut up!” Illifer whispered loudly, moving towards his comrade. Roland gurgled down his screams as Illifer freed his foot, but lost his control at the last second, “AAAAAAH!”

“Hush you big baby.” Illifer said harshly. “I’m going to have to carry you. No more screaming, alright?”

Roland nodded mutely, his lips clenched together to stifle any possible noise. Illifer knelt down, threw the big baby’s arms over his shoulders, and stood up, staggering and nearly falling. This baby was a lot heavier than the one remembered giving piggy back rides to all those years ago.

The two simply could not make good speed anymore, and were only slowing as time went by and the shouts grew closer and closer. Soon two men were within vision range of the escapees, and rushed them with swords drawn, having already discharged their rifle rounds and lacking enough time to reload the firearms.

Yelling wildly for their brothers in arms, the soldiers were nearly on top of the pair when a soft hum from the trees above announced the deadly arrows making their way towards the soldiers chests’. Both toppled over groaning and grasping their new wooden appendages. A soldier trailing slightly behind the two leaders met a similar fate.

The shouts in the woods took on a different tone as Illifer slouched down to the ground, not sure whether he’d been shot or if his stamina was just at its limit. In a state of semi awareness he observed many lithe figures dropping from the trees, several heading in his direction. Two strong hands grasped his head and shook violently, “ILLIFER! ILLIFER!” the voice of Roland was the last thing he noticed before slipping away into the dark.

Last edited:
What follows are of course just my opinions, but I hope they're helpful.

Illifer crouched before the short wooden door and glanced over his shoulder to signal Roland to silence before easing it open a crack. Outside all was bathed in the dim purple light of the two moons, Auxis, the red one, and Aquas, the blue, both shining full in the cloudy sky. The third, the green moon Gen was absent, floating through the sky on the other side of the planet of course. “Looks clear” He whispered, unwilling to take any chance of being heard.

I think this first paragraph could be shortened a bit. Firstly, the first sentence seems a bit long and does too much; I found it a bit hard to read the first time through. It could probably be chopped into two or three sentences that might be easier to read. Secondly, I don't think the names of the moons really need to be given, not here at the beginning at least. They could be given when a character mentions their names or something, if they're important to the story. "floating through the sky on the other side of the planet of course" could probably be cut, as it's pretty obvious.

After this first paragraph, your style and pacing worked very well for me.

creating an ominous silhouette against the cave wall with his black leather garments.

Ominous to whom?

Roland didn’t look as impressive

Again, to whom?

Roland nodded silently but still looked quite a bit nervous.

Looked nervous to whom? Illifer? I can't tell if I'm getting Illifer's point of view or not. If I'm not getting his point of view, you're giving some subjective descriptions that, to me, sound odd when not from some character's point of view.

at speeds that shouldn’t be possible.

This description didn't work for me... there are speeds that should be possible and speeds that shouldn't? I think "as fast as they could" would work fine, even if it might seem cliche.

After what seemed like minutes but was in reality only seconds

Again, seemed like minutes to whom?

accompanied by a sickening crunch

You just used 'sickening' to describe's the door's groan... it kind of stood out to me being used a second time.

No more screaming, alright?

I'm used to seeing "all right" ... I think both spellings are accepted, but I know there are some editors who hate seeing "alright"

the one remembered giving piggy back rides to

the one he remembered ... ?

and rushed them with swords drawn

rushed to them ... ?

grasping their new wooden appendages

Ha! Nice. :)

Overall, I liked it, I think it's a great beginning of something!

Outside all was bathed in the dim purple light of the two moons, Auxis, the red one, and Aquas, the blue, both shining full in the cloudy sky.
I doubt the moons would be bathing anything with light if the sky was cloudy. Their light would be obscured.
The door made a sickening groan as it slowly opened, causing the pair to wince painfully. Illifer slithered out onto the surface first, creating an ominous silhouette against the cave wall with his black leather garments
Watch your use of double adjectives. too many strung together and they begin to jar ie
sickening groan
slowly opened
wince painfully
ominous silouette
all in just a sentence or two.
Illifer, crouched, snuck up to a carriage
How do you sneak when you are crouching? Maybe if he "dropped to his hands and knees?
Illifer could just about touch the rough bark of a tree when a shout brought him flying into the air and landing facing the voice, sword drawn.
Maybe he should "spring upright" rather than fly through the air?
lush moist vegetation
Again, over use of descriptive words. Lush or moist. Just one will suffice.
Both toppled over groaning and grasping their new wooden appendages.
This is a great description of someone being arrow struck I like it.

You need to let the reader be more reactive than proactive. Suggest rather than tell. There's no need to sketch every detail out. Read it out loud to yourself and see if you can get the feel for what is superfluous in your narrative. a bit of fine tuning will do wonders for your story. Good luck with it.

Y:)

Sean: Now I'm innocent to the ways of the publisher however 'ominous siihlouette' seemed perfectly reasonable. It created atmosphere for me. Surely it's sufficient to say it's ominous and imply it would be to anyone that saw it.

Creating an ominous sihlouette to Roland (or his mate) would be ridiculous and as the scene hasn't metioned anybody else there's no one else to ominate.

However,

Illifer slithered out onto the surface first, creating an ominous silhouette against the cave wall with his black leather garments.

I'm not sure some one slithering (suggesting along the floor) would be able to create an ominous sihlouette.

Your comment on

No more screaming, alright?

regarding some editors seems strange. It's perfectly acceptable to use 'alright' especially as it inside quotes. If as you say if some editors dislike it no writter is going to object to the alternative(*1).

Now this may expose my lack of knowledge of the world of publishing here. Surely if Ranwuf has passed the first hurdle of getting a publisher interested the minor details of 'alright' or all 'right would' would be the last of his worries. If your suggesting a publisher would get upset by the difference then it seems to me that some publishers need to get a life, given the above(*1).

Ysabara: How do you crouch and sneak?

It's done a lot in Metal Gear Solid and Assassin. I think this was OK apart from the snuck word which I found a little jarring though I can't think of a better one just at the mo.

Last edited:
Surely it's sufficient to say it's ominous and imply it would be to anyone that saw it.

I, as a reader, if I were to see it, might not think it's ominous...

Without seeing it from another character's point of view, to me it feels like the author is telling me what to think, what opinion I am to have.

I've seen such a thing in published work too, so I doubt it would prevent anyone from getting published. It just didn't work for me. :)

regarding some editors seems strange. It's perfectly acceptable to use 'alright' especially as it inside quotes. If as you say if some editors dislike it no writter is going to object to the alternative(*1).

"Alright" would probably be fine. If you Google "alright vs all right", "all right" seems to be preferred. Since many writers tend to submit their works to editors/publishers, I thought it might be a useful bit of info. It really depends on the editor, but I've seen some that have mentioned "alright" as a pet peeve. (You can probably find them with Google.) Probably not a big deal though. :D

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the critiques. I'm definitely going to make a lot of those changes :p I never liked that first sentence either, don't know why I left it like that.

Last edited:
The problem with the first paragraph of the except is as much in what's being described as the way it's depicted. We move first from the two characters moving towards a door in silence (an exciting start, as it immediately makes us wonder what they're escaping from/creeping up on) to the glow of the two moons (fair enough, but a bit of an infodump) to the third moon (on the other side of the world). The exciting first idea - two men creeping through the dark - loses its force as the camera pans back too far.

On a more general point, I agree that there's no need to tell so much - although for a first draft it's very hard not to do so. "Auxis is blood-red tonight," he said, looking up at the smaller moon, immediately tells us that the moon is called Auxis, is red and isn't alone. That sort of thing. But it's promising: I'd be interested to know what happened to these two.

I have to say I agree with the comments above. Trim down on the adjectives a little.

Perhaps even more pertinent were the point-of-view remarks made in Sean's reply. You really need to keep the point of view in mind at all times. It also informs your choice of adjectives and the mood of the descriptions...

Finally, one thing I found jarring was the sentence:
The door made a sickening groan as it slowly opened, causing the pair to wince painfully.
to wince painfully... sounds really weird to me. I suppose you can wince with pain, but wince painfully implies that the act of wincing inflicts pain on either themselves or on others. Or at least, that's how it comes across to me...

Otherwise, I quite like the way the scene is set up. Just needs some polishing!

I'll agree with most of what has been said so far. Very good pace and a nice feeling of desperation as they're attempting to escape.

I'll add even more weight to the "point of view" statements made. You may want to pick characters to follow for a vantage point in order to use the style of description you are currently utilizing. As has been said, you really can't use statements like "after what seemed like minutes..." without saying who the sensation is valid to. It might be assumed, very reasonably, that you mean the two fugitives, but assumption can be a dire vice.

Other than that, very nicely done except for one thing..

"Illifer knelt down, threw the big baby’s arms over his shoulders, and stood up, staggering and nearly falling."

Completely ruined the flow for that part of the story for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Critiques 5