Nemesis

mac1

Science fiction fantasy
Has anyone seen Nemesis yet, I am downloading it and will watch it tommorow and tell you what I think, dont worry I will spoil absolutely nothing, after just reading a post which spoilt a some of Minority Report for me, but thats my fault for taking so long to watch it I guess.

I hope its a lot darker than Insurrection, as I much prefer First Contact.

Its a real shame its going to be the last TNG movie and I can't really see them making any spin-off movies of DS9 or Voyager, perhaps this is it for the Star Trek film saga then.

(P.S. Please dont spoil any plot in your replies.)

Apologies for the spoiler with Minority Report - I'll be more careful, and add a warning.

I've checked up the write-ups of Nemesis - maybe wait till DVD and rent it out.

Trouble with the TNG films is they always seemed to lack ambition. The ending of "Generations" was badly contrived and Kirk's death was poor. Think back to the opening scenes of DS9 and wonder why we've never seen a character captain die on the bridge while their starship explodes.

Oh - I hear someone major dies in Nemesis - in the series one name was mentioned as having died in some of the future episodes. I won't say anything, tho' ;). I saw a clip of the collision and see she's still alive when that begins. Bah, humbug!

Insurrection...hmm...I never forgot that they made the Enterprise look like a two foot piece of plastic in that. Puts me off the entire film.

Keep us posted on your reaction to it, though.

I started watching it yesterday but unfortunately it is a really poor camcorder job. I could not bring myself to spoil it by watching it in such low quality, I will either wait untill a decent camcorder version comes on the net, or wait untill the cinema release.

As for the person dying (spoilers aside) I assume you mean the reference in All Good Things (The last TNG episode). This was only one possible future, but it is entirely possible that it is this person, but I hope not as I really like the character.

As for killing off major character DS9 was king. It is my favorite of all the Trek series'. When you compare the death of Jadzia with the death of Tasha Yar, there really is no comparison. You are right about TNG's lack of ambition too. I am really getting into Enterprise now too. It was a bit slow to start, but the early episodes of season 2 have been great. I thoroughly enjoyed Carbon Creek, and the whole concept of the temporal cold war is great too. I see the series turning out quite dark, the two parter Shockwave being a real sign of things to come. As far as first seasons go, it is pretty damn good.

As for insurrection's special effects. The move to doing the space scenes completely CGI was a real bad move. The CGI-textured-models in First Contact looked real, and correctly proportioned, the fully-CGI ships in Insurrection looked really poor. You say the enterprise looked bad, by comparison to the alien ships it looked good, and that's in no way a compliment. Hopefully they will have returned to the half-and-half look of First Contact for Nemesis. However, I don't care how poor the FX were, for me Levar Burton's acting as Geordi was the saving grace of this film. The emotion he showed when he saw that sunset for the first time was stunning - that guy can really act.

Now I need to wait 'till January to see the film.

cheers for putting the spoiler alert on minority report!!!

Actually, I didn't give any plot away - other than my thoughts that it became too predictable (at least in parts).

Excerpts of the confrontation scene is actually shown early on, and repeatedly referred to. It's a form of premonition that drives the film's tension. If I wanted to spoil it I would've said what the result of that confrontation was ;)

I'm sure I would have enjoyed it a lot more a few years ago. Nowadays I'm just such a cynical grump that it's hard to not be critical about such things (maybe it's a consequence of being critical about my own work?).

The best parts of TNG films for me have just been the character interractions - Data and Picard plotting the strange cloud on the holographic starchart in "Generations", or the saucer crash in the same film.

I remember thinking Data was well used in "Insurrection" - it was good the way his morality was being questioned at the beginning, setting a nice tension.

And thank goodness they used outdoor shots! That's my main gripe with "Search for Spock" - "Star Wars" looked good on Tatoine because it looked like a real planet somewhere else in space - where Trek III was film set film set film set - which spoiled the illusion.

Hey, I thought it was pretty good movie. Then again, its hard for me to dislike movies (ex. I didn't think Wild Wild West was so bad). It played out like a long episode of TNG, Shinzon was cool, alot of it was cool.

Kilroy Was Here

I finally watched it. I won't spoil anything, but it was great - go see it.

Nemesis - If you are interested in alternative theoreys and "conjectures worlds" as you call them. You should (If you haven't already) look up some information on Nibiru. It is a planet on a 3600 year eliptical orbit of the sun, which the ancient Sumerians claim is the home of an alien race known as the Anunaki. This race is supposed to be the missing link, and the explanation for the huge advances in civilization which apparantly have happening in accordance to this 3600 year cycle. I am obviously hugely skeptical of the whole issue, but it makes fascinating reading nonetheless. One of the strangest things about the Sumerians (and they were an interesting race), must surely be their remarkable knowledge of Astronomy. They knew about the existance the planets in the outer solar-system thousands of years before the invention of the telescope, and even descibed the gas giants as gas giants, and gave details as to the surface of Pluto, a subject we still know little of today - the planet wasn't discovered untill about 1930 if memory serves me correctly. Anyway Nibiru - Check it out, its pretty facinating.

Superb!

No, not the film - which I have yet to see - but the info above on Nibiru and the Anunaki! This could be a great new area of research.

It's bizarre - I once had a similar idea - of a planet in an extreme eliptical orbit around earth with more highly evolved beings upon it - but I don't remember ever reading it!

I developed something of an analogy to it for Chronicles and Emperor, so that I could address the issue. The beings I have on it are of an "angelic" nature, and I've constantly referred to them as Ishim (perhaps erroneously, but the title remains). They become pivotal to the events in my Emperor novels.

Cool!

Doing some research on the Nibaru issue. Oh my goodness me - what a lot of sh*te there is around!

Take this quote: "Nibiru is the 4th dimensional flagship of the Milky Way Galaxy's Galactic Federation."

Most of it seems derivative of the interpretations of a man named "Zecharia Sitchen", who has twisten the Sumerian into something I can only call really hardcore fringe theory - conspiracy, UFOs, aliens, etc. But the whole thing has been taken deep into the realms of utter fantasy.

It's quite bizarre. In a strange way it's a fascinating form of contemporary art - take the Sumerians, the Bible, a few unrelated ideas - mix them all together with a little imagination - and voila! a modern mythology!

This site has a brief summary of the issue, and this is list of links, some of which are dead, which give an idea of the wackiness surrounding it. And for a really developed modern mythology about the issue, check out this link.

EDIT: Hm...and research on the Anunnaki is just as bad.

I've seen it twice. I liked it, but I see where perhaps having this be the last outing is a good idea. Star Trek:TNG is beginning to repeat itself a bit too badly.

In case you're wondering, I just used a new admin feature to split the thread, so the "Nemesis theory - Planet X" discussion has it's own thread in the "Science/Nature" section, and the original (more or less) on topic postings get their own place in the
"TV/Film" section.

And now back on topic - :) - is "Star Trek - Nemesis" out to rent in the UK yet? If so, I'll get it out for Saturday night. Anyone know if it is or no?

Nice plan, but you might want to move posts 7, 11, 12, and 13 too if you get time :)

Don't think the film is out to rent yet, haven't seen it in my local video shop yet anyway. I did get a flyer through the door the other day with a release date to buy. I threw it out, but I believe it was August the 14th, don't quote me on that however. Well worth a purchase, but that's quite a wait.

Shame - for some reason I really wanted to watch it last night. Video shop says it's not out this month.

I figure it'll be available to rent before being available to purchase, yes? Crikey, not often I rent out.

Just to confirm

- 4th August to buy in the UK (region 2)
- 20th May to buy in the US (region 1)

No date for rental yet - will probably not be untill 4th August, or perhaps a few weeks prior. Shame, but its worth the wait - First Contact was still better though, in my opinion. Nemesis - The second best of the TNG films.