The Codex Alera

I'm plugging my way through the first book, myself - it's slow going, b/c there's alots of description, lots of characters and not enough action. I like my stories to move a little faster than this does. Though, I've been told the books after this one are faster. We'll see.

I meant Grandfather - I've finished Captain's Fury and waiting for the next one now :D

I race through these books just like I do Dresden and am really enjoying the series even if it is a little predictable

I'm still chugging through the first book. I'll finish it eventually, but it'll still be a while.

I have a spare copy of the 3rd book (cursor's Fury I think it is) if anyone wants it

I've recently finished Furies of Calderon which I enjoyed. Good solid fantasy! Am now a third into Academ's Fury which is so far going well. Good to hear that the rest of the series carry on in good form (if maybe a bit predictable ;) ).
It sounds like fate has been good to me as I've never read anything by Butcher before, so starting with Alera (picked up the first two cheap by chance) and having yet to read Dresden looks like the best way to go.

I've just read the part about where Tavi starts to explain the ANTHROPOMORPHIC THEORY to Max, now thats what I like from an author, not just magic is cos is always has been, but a bit of theory on how the magic actually works/is manipulated. Genius:D

Does anyone know the release date of "First Lord's Fury" for New Zealand?
Been trying to track down a copy but no bookshops seem to be even aware that it has been released elsewhere or when (if) they are execting to have it in stock.

I've finished Cursor's Fury and Captain's Fury now, these books keep getting better IMO. So far i've enjoyed Tavi's stint with the legions the most, some good battle scenes but the duel at the end of Captain's Fury was a corker. I'm taking a break from the series now as I've read the first four books back to back but am looking forward to the last two. Also it was nice to see Septimus actually do something :)

Finished "First Lord's Fury". Really liked, some interesting hints and loose ends that could be turned into a new series (I guess) but all & all I good resolution.
I really like the world & system of magic JB's built for this and feel there is a lot left to explore - hope there is more to follow.

BTW has anyone read Edding's "Dreamers" series and Codex Alera concurrently ?

I would be surprised if JB returns to this universe. The story arc indicated that the battle for what was the canim continent will not occur for two hundred years. Tavi will be dead by that time as will his very interesting wife.

With the loss of Alera, I am not sure just how new fury controllers will be trained to the level that others in Octavian's line were. It is evident that the line of Octavian will be very powerful. However, with the mixed genetics it is far from clear just what will happen to the kids and their abilities.

I do not want to read a story about the mop-up on the home continent and the preparations for a likely attack either against the canim continent or a defense against an attack by the two surviving, but sterile, queens.

I kind of agree with you, the Vord story arc seems complete (though the Vord queen did say that they had ravaged worlds - the plural stood out for me).
I think the transformation of Aleran society from a stagnant Aristocracy based on Fury crafting ability to some form of meritocracy, and all the upheaval, power struggles etc over the next 200 years or so would be interesting, especially as those with fury crafting could (in time) become ostracised.
With the Alerans being less advanced in boat buidling and seamanship than the Canim and the Canim being fairly insular there could be other parts of the world to exploit.
Just seems the Alerans know very little of their own history and even less of the cultures of the world they share.

Anyway, guess I just really liked the universe and would read more of it if any more was written.

This is one of the series I hope to read this year, after reading a sample chapter at the back of Small Favour. From what I've heard, I'm in for a good read.:)

@ Talysia:
If you've read the Belgariad and enjoyed it, I think you'll enjoy this too

it is a great series i recommend it ..and i think it is better then the Belgariad.

One of the things that I regretted was the
passing of the fury called Alera.

The battle scenes were edge of chair stuff and the losses and survivals were just awesome.

This was a fun series.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does this series have a lot of action? Or is it more story based?

Oh, theres plenty of action in the books, the battles are some of the best i've read and become more frequent in the later books. A friend of mine is reading these on my recomendation and was a bit put off at the start because he was struggling to with the magic set up, but once the ball started rolling so to speak, he was utterly hooked.
IMO this is a great series which deserves greater recognition, I hope you enjoy it.:)

I really enjoyed this whole series, I like it when I get into a series that is written already like this one. I read all of them in the span of a few months and actually found them to be page turners. I had only read the first 3 dresden books and am more of a fantasy fan then anything so they were right up my alley. I hope he ventures into something along this line again.

I felt the hardest part of these books was making it through the first actual chapter or two of the first book. I didn't know what was going on, and wasn't too fond of the opening characters, and overall I was just kinda reading to read because the prologue was so awesome.

Glad I pushed through it, because it really was a heck of a series to read.