There are "no more great writers," V S Naipaul

D_Davis

And...

He added that he had also noticed the people who go to Hay were "incredibly ugly".

vs_naipual_30392t.jpg

This guys sounds like a real class act.

There are no more great writers, says V S Naipaul - News, Books - The Independent

Nothing like a rude and pompous artist.

can't say i've ever felt compelled to seek out any of his books. i don't think my life has suffered as a result.

I've heard of him, but only because we read one of his novels (or 'shovel' as my lecturer called it (novel made of short stories)), In a Free State, for my creative writing class. I doubt I would've come across his books otherwise.

Regardless of how good his books are, I doubt very much that their quality will outweigh my repugnance regarding this man's character and personal views.
Normally, I'd argue that it's the books, rather than the author, that should be the criteria for judging whether or not to read them, but in this case, I'll happily make an exception.

well, it's working. we're talking about him.

"There's only one thing worse than being talked about...."

well, it's working. we're talking about him.

"There's only one thing worse than being talked about...."

Is this an instance where it would be appropriate to hijack the thread, and thus defeat the nefarious purpose of a person who I refuse to name?

He may be a bit of a plonker, but he was awarded the Nobel Prize for literature in 2001. They don't give those away to crap writers...

He may be a bit of a plonker, but he was awarded the Nobel Prize for literature in 2001. They don't give those away to crap writers...

But apparently they give them out to blow-hard, fat-headed jerks.

Besides, I'd rather read a winner of the PKD or Bram Stoker award than a winner of the Novel Prize.

They may occasionally give them to over-rated writers, though. What award doesn't?

I wonder if the people who decide these things ever look back at the awards with the perspective of all the years between and ask themselves, "What were we thinking?"

Never said He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named was a crap writer. His character, however...

Many more important writers didnt win Nobel Prize. Plus here in Sweden writers who are totally forgotten today won when the award was new. Its more of political award than literary award. I mean all great writers come from North Europe and North America yeah sure ;)

Two indians, one african they think thats diversity....

Plus its non-genre literary snob award. Many classic authors who are seen as geniuses today wouldnt win because they wrote in genre ghetto.

Poe,Lord Dunsany type would be too fantastic.

I can think of several who didn't receive the Nobel Prize who would have been worthy winners. Italo Calvino, Vladimir Nabokov, Marcel Proust, Mark Twain, Checkov, W.G. Sebald and Jorge Louis Borges amongst others.

Being a fan of World Literature I am familiar with some of Naipul's work including his best known novel A House For Mr. Biswas. He is capable of writing well but is certainly one of the more outspoken and "controversial" characters of World Literature. I know that Jayaprkaesh is familiar with some of his works and certainly his sociopolitical views and from what I understand not exactly embracing of them.

Anyway, I think it would be of interest if Jayaprakesh, Nesa or other members much more familiar with his views and work than myself were to post their thoughts on this fellow as well....:)