Name this Film game!

G. Elliott

I've been searching forever now for the title to a Scifi film I saw when I was younger. I have no specific names or words that would narrow my search, only some basic aspects of the plot.

What I know is:

-the film is set in a dystopian future where it seems to rain all the time, and there is rarely, if ever, sunshine.

- the film follows the lives of a few children, (maybe at a school). Due to the lack on sunlight, the children are regularly exposed to artificial sun treatments.

-the sun finally comes out, but only for a few hours, likely to never be seen again in a lifetime. All the children prepare for this day when they will see the sun for the first and maybe last time in there lives. I seem to remember that some of the children cruelly lock one child (maybe the main character) inside so that he will miss his only opportunity to see sunlight.

- it seems like maybe this film was made in the 70s', and from what I remember, it seems very short and may only be a short film or an episode of some larger series.

Can anyone shed some light on this? What is this film?

I haven't seen it but from the summary I'd say this is certainly it, except that its always raining because the school children live on Venus.

All Summer in a Day (1982) which is based on a short story of the same name by Ray Bradbury

Would agree. As a junior high student ( 6th thru 8th grade for Quokka's sake ), we actually had to read All Summer in a Day and write about how we would feel if we were a) the child locked in the closet, or b) one of those who locked the child in. If memory serves, the children doing the locking hadn't intended for the child locked in to miss the sun, either....the original story, of course, was published back in the 50's (and NO, THAT's NOT when I read it!).

Thanks Quokka, This IS what I've been looking for for so long. And to Grimward, now I remember that I also first came across this in a 6th grade english class. You can find the whole thing on you tube if your interested.

thanks again.

Glad to help out and I think I will take you up on the offer and go watch it myself :).

I've been waiting for this thread.

righteo, all I remember about this film is that it was all set onboard a plane, and involved some kind of devil worship I think, there was something nasty lurking in the cargo, I seem to remember demonic chanting(which at the time chilled me).

Not much to go on I know.

To G. Elliott, thanks for the trip down memory lane. Also, a belated welcome to the Chrons. Beware its addictive qualities, or suffer the (happy!) consequences!

To Ultraculture, do you recall if part of the plane was eventually taken over and frozen, or, at least, the temperature was markedly lower and the light noticeably dimmer in that part of the plane? I remember a film from the 1970s that kind of matches your description, but the name isn't coming to me yet.....

Last edited:
Ah, OK.....it will come to me. Pretty sure we're talking about the same thing. Will return when it does....

EDIT: Found it! (YouTube is a wonderful thing if you can direct it a bit). I think the title you're looking for is Horror at 37,000 Feet, and believe it or not, it has William Shatner and Buddy Ebsen in it. Boy is it cheesy 35 years later!

Here's the link I found YouTube - Horror At 37,000 Feet (1973) William Shatner Buddy Ebsen

Last edited:
I wonder if we could get this thread stickied, we probably don't need a whole section like the book search but a running thread for half remembered movies might be fun, Where Have All The People Gone had been bugging me for years before I finally found it.

Sorry Ultraculture can't help you with that one.

For some reason I always thought that was an episode of The Twilight Zone.

For some reason I always thought that was an episode of The Twilight Zone.
I think there was an episode with Shatner. Only he could see the gremlin on the wing of a plane he wasa passenger in...or something along those lines.

I wonder if we could get this thread stickied, we probably don't need a whole section like the book search but a running thread for half remembered movies might be fun, Where Have All The People Gone had been bugging me for years before I finally found it.

We are not keen on too many stickies here but will do for now. If there's plenty of activity then fine, if not, I may unstick it and let it drift into the sunset at a later date.

I think I remmber this film and I'm sure it had a poor dog frozen to death in the hold (poor wee Puppy!!) it was about the time that disaster movies were being churned out ten to the dozen. I'm sure its Horror at 37,000 feet or something very like it.

The episode of the twighlight zone featuring the gremlin was originally in black and white and as I remmber was re-made for the movie, "wanna see something scary?" still chills me to the bone.

Ah Grimward thank you. I read the post and wanted to know the movie too and had been asking Google. Am very fond of creepy movies.

Am adding my vote for a 'sticky'.

You're quite welcome, Nesa. I will confess that I'd recently been wondering about the name, too!

Thanks Grim, that's the one.

I dont recall it being that bad.:)

And you, as well, UltraC. I didn't think it was that bad when I first watched it (on TV, although it was prime time TV) either, but seeing the excerpts from it again on YouTube, it is definitely aged in terms of the special effects (one would expect this), but also appears to have captured most of the exaggerated side of Shatner while simultaneously losing the intense side. And then there's the fact that they're basically running away from possessed mud (not my idea of a stirring premise) for most of the movie. Still, I'd probably watch it again on late night cable if I was up and had limited or no other choices, so perhaps I'm being a little harsh! Anyway, thanks for the opportunity to do a little sleuthing. ;)

Just remembered another movie, I posted it here once before but have still not been able to find a title for it. It's a horror movie 80's or early 90's and it's pretty standard teenagers end up in a big old house at night and mosters start killing them one by one, the only twist is that in the end one gets out of the house (I think it was a girl) and just as you think she's safe the monsters pop up again. The monsters win!

Sorry for the spoiler but it wasn't a great movie :) I thought the title was something like Creepies/Creepers but have never been able to track it down.

Sounds like Evil Dead, except there it was Ash aka Bruce Campbell that survived and then got attacked by the unseen creature of the woods (he did survive for the sequel, though ;))