Simon R Green

rune

rune
I've only read one book by this author so far but quite enjoyed it.
So when I noticed there is another book out for his Nightside series i was wondering if anyone had some info on the books out so far :D

1. Something from the Nightside (2003)

2. Agents of Light and Darkness (2003)

3. Nightingale's Lament (2004)

4. Hex and the City (2005)

I cant get my hands on these books from my library, they dont have them in for some reason :(
So if anyone can give me some feedback on them, what you think of them, an idea of what the series is about etc I would be grateful :D

Has anyone read Swords of Haven, 1st book in the Hawk and Fisher series by this author?

I finished Swords of Haven and was real disappointed. It was like an who done it story with a bit of magic :confused:

I think Green can do better than this to be honest!

I enjoyed the Hawk and Fisher books - light and easy. His Merlin series is fun too. It's an alternate modern day kind of thing with magic...well, it's been a while since I read them but I liked them as well (I think Murder on the Rue Morgue is the first one). He does tend to do a lot of mystery stuff in his books but I'm fond of mystery novels anyway so it is like a mix of two of my fav. genres.

Rune,

I signed up just to answer this question. I have recently read the first three of the Nightside books and I can't get enough of them.

They very easily fit into the "sorcery fantasy + police procedural" genre. Yet there's something more. The Nightside feels very real to me and is somewhere I'm looking forward to revisiting.

Regards,

xRx

xRAZERx said:
Rune,

I signed up just to answer this question. I have recently read the first three of the Nightside books and I can't get enough of them.

They very easily fit into the "sorcery fantasy + police procedural" genre. Yet there's something more. The Nightside feels very real to me and is somewhere I'm looking forward to revisiting.

Regards,

xRx

I've seem these books and wondered if they were worth reading. I get the impression that Green can be hit and miss with his stories though. I liked Shadow Fall but was very disappointed in Sword of Haven :confused:

I can't say anything about the Nightside books, but I've listened to the "Deathstalker" audio book series series (they broke the book into 5 'episodes' for the audios) and found it to be very entertaining. "Deathstalker Rebellion," also broken into 5 'episodes' is on my TBR short list.

I've read mostly the Deathstalker series and really enjoyed them; however that's because I'm a lover of the John Carter of Mars series by ERB.
I could draw a lot of parallels to the heroes and the science and the swash of buckling involved in the two series.
Not sure what else to say for them--other than he is entertaining.

Hello to all!

Hope that somebody could help me to understand the timing inconsistency in Deathstalker Rebellion:

In the end of Deathstalker, Owen and the rest of the rebels are left in Haden and Cpt. Silence with investigator Frost leave on Dauntless back to Golgotha.

First chapter of Rebelion finds Owen and his team in Hadenmen ship traveling to Golgotha on a first strike on Empire. In that chapter it is explained that Owen and his team have spent several months on Haden planning the mission, while Owen gets an artificial arm etc.
The chapter ends with them accomplishing the strike and escaping.
So, basically, this strike happened at least several months after the end of the first book.

Second chapter of Rebellion involves Cpt. Silence and what is left of his team STILL traveling to Golgotha (for months, it appears) and when they finally get there (with a short de-tour to Gehenna), it's just hours after Owen's&Co attack on Golgotha???!!!

How can it take so long traveling in hyperspace?

Please help me, I'm totally lost here, or did I miss something?

Tried searching the net for an explanation, but it looks like nobody has noticed it.

Has anyone read Swords of Haven, 1st book in the Hawk and Fisher series by this author?
I've read it... a long time ago. I liked the Hawk and Fisher series. They are basically mystery/crime/detection novels with supernatural elements as far as I can recall. I liked Hawk and Fisher as characters.