Female science fiction authors

I'm a huge fan of Arthur C. Clarke but I also like more military sci-fi in general, and there are two EXCELLENT female authors that no one has mentioned yet (though this thread is old, but whatever!):

Karen Traviss - Wess'har novels

and

Tanya Huff - Confederation series
(all books with Valor in the title). She also has some fantasy that is entirely a different matter.

Both of these series have amazing female protagonists and I highly recommend them to any of the posters above who said they like Elizabeth Moon.

This is my first post and I'm excited I found this forum! I've been gathering bibliographies and reading sci fi by women for the last few years and it's become a passion.

In that case you might like this:
http://www.cybermage.se/formidable-female-protagonists-in-science-http://www.cybermage.se/formidable-female-protagonists-in-science-fiction-part-1/

Not all of the authors are women, but all of the protagonists are.

Last edited:
Elizabeth Moon is a very good Sci-Fi author. She writes very strong female characters, but tempers them with a few weaknesses.

I'm especially liking her current Vatta's War series.

Agreed and her fantasy with Paks and all is solid also. Sorry cannot remember any of the titles off the top but there must be 3-4 books in the series.

I just read Among Others by Jo Walton - it was so great! I felt like the protagonist (a teenage girl) was exactly like me when I was a teen, but much more well-read when it comes to classic SF. I would highly recommend this to anyone who likes sci-fi and fantasy and a good coming-of-age story. The book is also full of name dropping of SF authors and books so I just got a bunch more to add to my list. I had never heard of the author Sylvia Engdahl?

I just read Among Others by Jo Walton - it was so great! I felt like the protagonist (a teenage girl) was exactly like me when I was a teen, but much more well-read when it comes to classic SF. I would highly recommend this to anyone who likes sci-fi and fantasy and a good coming-of-age story. The book is also full of name dropping of SF authors and books so I just got a bunch more to add to my list. I had never heard of the author Sylvia Engdahl?

I had never heard of Sylvia Engdahl but a quick visit to her website has me thinking I will try her books, e-books for 3.99 and 4.99 fits my budget and I think my granddaughter might find the young adult books interesting. Thanks for bring her name up. :)

How about Sharon Green, i read the The Terrillian Series and am reading The Jalav Series currently, I like her books although I find the violence and psychological bullying the main character goes through upsetting, yet she shows them to be strong willed and never giving up. Worth a read, although hard to get hold off as they are not published anymore.

How about Sharon Green, i read the The Terrillian Series and am reading The Jalav Series currently, I like her books although I find the violence and psychological bullying the main character goes through upsetting, yet she shows them to be strong willed and never giving up. Worth a read, although hard to get hold off as they are not published anymore.

You can find a great deal of Sharon Green's work here http://www.integritytech.com/sgsci-fi.html

Pricing seems all over the place but maybe that is just me. :eek:

Did a little more digging. e-books can be found here at her site http://www.sharon-green.net/adventure.html and pricing looks pretty reasonable.

Last edited:
Thanks Timba, that is extremely helpful and kind. I agree that pricing is erratic. Its unusual that you should mention E-Books when I been wondering whether I should invest in a Computer book !!! My girlfriend commented on the amount of books I had brought over the years. I have two whole bookshelfs and if I enjoy a book, I keep it so it got me thinking, maybe I should try the e book to help save space, although I must admit there is just something about reading a book that can not be replaced. Maybe Sharon Green e books might help encourage me to try getting the kindle !!!! Just to try as I recommend trying Sharon Green He he had to bring the subject back to the topic at hand :)

I just downloaded Conspiracies by Mercedes Lackey and The Throne of Fire by Rick Riordan. Both in series my grandkids are into so they will be loaned but not until they are read! Not exactly heavy reading but a lot of fun.

I think I commented on Sharon Green in another thread. Jalav is sex and swords, but gets a little deeper toward the fourth book. I haven't read Terrillian yet, but have it downloaded. One problem I have with Green's older series is that although many of them are out of print there is no discount for downloading them, even though it can't be costing her or the publisher much to make them available.

I just started a (so far) great book that's the first in a new series by Jean Johnson. It's called "A Soldier's Duty" and features a young woman who can see the future and joins the Marines (the space/intergalactic Marines) to try to save the galaxy from the annihilation she foresaw in a vision.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back