Female science fiction authors

Some I can think of that haven't been listed:
Dawn Cook (might be more fantasy than science fiction, but still good reads)
Marianne Curley

I agree with razorback; this thread is a wonderful source!

I just ordered Where Late the Sweet Bird Sang by Kate Wilhelm.

I hope it lives up to the hype I've heard about it.

I recently finished Nancy Kress's Beggars in Spain series. So now I've read her two trilogies (Probability is the other one).

I still recommend her but in both cases, I think she tended to get a bit lost on the 3rd book, attempting to cram too much into the 3rd book and losing focus on the overall story. She seems to get bored by the 3rd book of a series and throws the proverbial "kitchen sink" into the 3rd book.

Most of the names that come to mind have already been mentioned but a few more obscure that seem to have been overlooked are:
Zenna Henderson
Lisanne Norman
Kathy Tyers
Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman write both fantasy and science fiction.

My favorite female science fiction writers though would have to be amoung those already listed such as Anne McCaffrey and Andre Norton. Most of my favortie female authors though have limited themselves to fantasy only.

I thought I had scanned this thread pretty thoroughly, but maybe I'm missing something. I can't believe that I can't find a reference to Kage Baker here. Her series of novels and stories about "The Company" are well worth seeking out. Particularly The Life Of The World To Come.

I'd never heard of War Surf, but I have read Undertow and greatly enjoyed it. But then, I really like most of Bear's work.

(This forum is very hard on my pocket book. War Surf looks interesting, so I guess I'll buy it.)

I've read Undertow, and enjoyed it - its a self contained hard-sf novel of colony rebellion and reaching a (greater) understanding of an alien race. It packs a lot of plot, background and character into quite a short book ... making it refreshingly unusual in the current climate of multi-book series and 1000 page epics.

I also read and greatly enjoyed the trilogy Hammered/Scardown/Worldwired which has a hint of cyberpunk's dystopian future in them.

I'll certainly be getting more of Elizabeth Bear's work when the TBR pile looks to be lacking in SF.

Have listened to Dust on audio book ... didn't really like the premise from the start though.

(btw Conn did you see my reply to you question on the Shotgun Rule over on Goodreads?)

I've read Undertow, and enjoyed it - its a self contained hard-sf novel of colony rebellion and reaching a (greater) understanding of an alien race. It packs a lot of plot, background and character into quite a short book ... making it refreshingly unusual in the current climate of multi-book series and 1000 page epics.

I also read and greatly enjoyed the trilogy Hammered/Scardown/Worldwired which has a hint of cyberpunk's dystopian future in them.

I'll certainly be getting more of Elizabeth Bear's work when the TBR pile looks to be lacking in SF.

Have listened to Dust on audio book ... didn't really like the premise from the start though.

(btw Conn did you see my reply to you question on the Shotgun Rule over on Goodreads?)

You might try New Amsterdam by Bear. It's a series of detective stories set in an alternate universe with magic and a drunken lady detective.

You might try New Amsterdam by Bear. It's a series of detective stories set in an alternate universe with magic and a drunken lady detective.

Nothing do with the canceled tv series right ? Except the immortal character the synopsis mention.

Bear books sounds interesting to me and specially Undertow thanks for the info about it. I will get that book and try her.

Does Undertow have cyperpunk elements ? Does she have it in only Hammered trilogy ? I like it when they use it well in newer books that about other type of sf like Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon.

Nothing do with the canceled tv series right ? Except the immortal character the synopsis mention.

Bear books sounds interesting to me and specially Undertow thanks for the info about it. I will get that book and try her.

When I first saw the ads for the new tv series, I was hopeful it would be like the book. But the only thing they have in common is the name. As usual, the book is much better.

Another one of her books you might like is Carnival.

I'd say no on the Cyberpunk elements in Undertow - from what i've read so far she doesn't re-use her tropes / styles from book to book. Each seems to be crafted in the style that most fits the story being told. Elizabeth must have a great agent/editor to keep resisting the relentless desire for "more of the same" from marketing.

Thats sounds good about Bear in case i like reading her. Already books like Carnival,New Amsterdam sounds so interesting in very different ways than Undertow.

Shame about MM Buckner,her books was out of print and i didnt buy second hand books this month. Next time i buy SF next month or the one after that i will get her War Surf.

This is a good thread from my POV (which I'm resurrecting on behalf of the Is science fiction still a male-dominated genre? thread) in that a zillion authors I don't have are mentioned and every female SF author I have on my shelves is mentioned except two. I'm not sure how good Sarah Zettel is and she's since switched completely to fantasy, but she started out in SF.

The one author who really has to be mentioned is Katherine MacLean. She didn't write a whole lot, but The Diploids is a fantastic collection and The Missing Man is a fixup almost as good as the title novella, which is superb and won a Nebula. She's also interesting for being one of the very few female authors (C.L. Moore being another, mostly in the 40s) who regularly sold to Campbell (mostly in the 50s).

In terms of the others mentioned (first poster I noticed mention them in italics) just some IMOs:

Amalthea
Ursula Le Guin - Not my favorite, but inarguably important. Best stuff is The Left Hand of Darkness, The Lathe of Heaven, The Dispossessed, The Winds Twelve Quarters (collection). Generally sociological/psychological/anthropological SF.

C.J. Cherryh - One of my very favorites, at least for her Union/Alliance stuff, especially The Faded Sun [Trilogy]. Also some of her idiosyncratic early novels like Wave Without a Shore. And also for her science fantasy Morgaine series. Not much of a story writer, though - more a novelist and even a seriesist. She writes pretty solid straight SF - not ultra-hard, but not noticeably "soft", either.

manephelien
James Tiptree, Jr. - She got too disturbed and disturbing even for me near the end (most of the 80s) but, through the 70s, she produced some of the finest SF stories ever (all of her first four collections (or equivalent) are indispensable) and her first novel, Up the Walls of the World is nearly equal to them. She did sometimes write on psychological and even gender issues but, prior to her "outing", Robert Silverberg was convinced she was a he, famously insisting her writing was "ineluctably masculine".

Omphalos
Octavia Butler - famous for her novels which I doubt would interest me (I've only read the Xenogenesis set, which is fine) and she only wrote a handful of stories but they're invariably excellent (which is actually an understatement). Bloodchild and Other Stories is the must-have.

Pat Cadigan - A fair novelist (my favorite is probably Synners) but her core is her fantastic, often mordantly funny stories. Start with Patterns. Famous, as has been mentioned, for being a unique thing: a female cyberpunk. But she'd be pretty unique regardless and not all of her early work pigeonholes neatly into that. She did seem to get kind of stuck later, IMO, writing media ties and yet more cyberpunky things but maybe she'll get out of it. I'm intrigued by the mention of her off-world stories.

Carol Emshwiller - Not really an SF writer for the most part, or only in the loosest, most literary and fantastical fashion, and she's the kind of writer I might ordinarily not be able to stand except that she's so freakin' great. A literary treasure. And, again, one who excels at stories, though I've heard good things about her novels, too.

Pat Murphy - usually more fantasy-tinged, but capable of excellent SF, too. Points of Departure is the must-have collection. The City, Not Long After is an excellent, often surreal novel. She won a Nebula for The Falling Woman.

K. Riehl
C.L. Moore - one of the two Golden Age greats. Brilliantly colorful, visual storytelling and Judgment Night is a wild almost van Vogtian masterpiece. Yet again, her stories - Jirel (sorry Teresa), Northwest Smith, other, whether in collaboration with Kuttner or not - are wonderful.

Leigh Brackett - ditto. A Burroughs disciple and Bradbury collaborator and successful screenwriter - everything from westerns to a version of The Empire Strikes Back.

Razorback
Nicola Griffith - another writer who's defected, this time to sort of thriller/crime novels, I believe (I got the first, but haven't read it yet). But Ammonite and Slow River are both good and pretty solidly SF. The latter's probably the best.

-- Actually, I said all but two, but Tanith Lee hasn't been mentioned, I don't think, and has written some somewhat SF things, though is generally a fantasy/horror author. My take on her is currently in flux, though, so I don't know what to say except that the Biting the Sun duo was neat.

Last edited:
I have read most of the authors listed here and can think of a few more to add to the list.

Jo Clayton
Debra Doyle who wrote in collaboration with James D. Macdonald
Maggie Furey
Kay Hooper borderline SF
Lee Killough (Karren Lee Killough)
Naomi Novik borderline SF
Kathleen M. O'Neal
S.L. Viehl (Sheila Lynn Veihl)
Joan D. Vinge

All have a place on my bookshelves as well as a number of others who write either fantasy or urban fantasy stories.

I'm a huge fan of Arthur C. Clarke but I also like more military sci-fi in general, and there are two EXCELLENT female authors that no one has mentioned yet (though this thread is old, but whatever!):

Karen Traviss - Wess'har novels

and

Tanya Huff - Confederation series
(all books with Valor in the title). She also has some fantasy that is entirely a different matter.

Both of these series have amazing female protagonists and I highly recommend them to any of the posters above who said they like Elizabeth Moon.

This is my first post and I'm excited I found this forum! I've been gathering bibliographies and reading sci fi by women for the last few years and it's become a passion.

Back