Female science fiction authors

Amalthea

Milady
Everyone was very helpful with my last request, so here is another one.
I am looking for good science fiction by the feminine gender.

I can only think of two that I have read and enjoyed; Ursula Le Guin and Anne McCaffrey (and I consider the Pern series more like fantasy than science fiction).

I have tried many books by C.J. Cherryh and Julian May, and have found them to be confusing and emotionless reading. I know some may disagree with my assessment, but please don't attempt to change my mind. Believe me, I have tried to read both these authors more than once. They are just not my style.

I am a huge fan of Arthur C. Clarke (he is my favorite science fiction author), so any suggestions similar to his style would be appreciated.

Off the top of my head, I remember enjoying works by Kate Wilhelm, Vonda McIntyre and Andre Norton - but don't ask me how much like Arthur C Clarke they are, because I can't remember. ;) I do remember them being "quality" though.

(Btw I loved Julian May's Saga of the Exiles series, I didn't find it emotionless at all, but I also tried another scifi series she was writing and couldn't get into it at all - didn't bother getting the second book. That one did strike me as emotionless and unappealing.)

Nancy Kress' Beggars in Spain may be right up your street. It's the story of what happens when genetic engineering creates a generation of children who don't have to sleep and become super-geniuses. A pretty good story.

I've also heard good things about Lois McMaster Bujold.

In fantasy, Kate Elliott is reasonably entertaining and JV Jones is excellent. KJ Parker is also good, but a bit twisted. Janny Wurts is very variable in quality.

Robin Hobb ? A little long-winded sometimes, but I've read worse.

Yes, but hardly science-fiction. If it's hard science-fiction you're looking for, the best bet is possibly James Tiptree, Jr. (Alice Bradley Sheldon). I can't remember much of her works, mainly the short story collection Warm Worlds and Otherwise. About time for a re-read, I think!

Elizabeth Moon is a very good Sci-Fi author. She writes very strong female characters, but tempers them with a few weaknesses.

I'm especially liking her current Vatta's War series.

C.J. Cherryh is the best SF female author i have read.

Have you read her Faded Sun books ? If you havent try it, i can almost promise it isnt emotionless.

I'm hoping you're including fantasy in with your science fiction, so I'll suggest J. V. Jones, her Sword of Shadows series. Another good one is Elizabeth Bear who writes both science fiction and fantasy. Karin Lowachee (sp?) has a pretty good series out. Also, Sharon Shinn is a very good writer. And I second Pyan's recommendations for Lois Bujold and Sheri S. Tepper.

Joanna Russ is probably the most competent of the 1970's writers. All of her stuff is good, but The Female Man is probably her best.

James Tiptree, Jr. is the pseudonym of Alice Sheldon. Her stuff is amazing. There are two novels and a bunch of short stories, and you wont go wrong with much.

Octavia Butler is probably the best female SF writer the world has ever known (at least IMHO). She is mainly a novelist, but there is a book of excellent short stories.

Joan Slonczewski wrote a book called A Door into Ocean. Its not my favorite, but Slonczewski was a Quaker, and the book has a unique voice because of that.

Wilhelm, mentioned above, wrote one of my favorite books of all time called Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang. You should not miss that one.

Madeleine L'Engle write a Newberry Award winner called A Wrinkle in Time. Its a great story, and suitable all around for kids.

Elizabeth Ann Scarborough worte a book called The Healer's War, which is quite good.

Vonda McIntyre wrote a few books, The Moon and The Sun and Dreamsnake are two of the better ones, but she doesnt often miss the mark.

I also really like Nancy Kress, mentioned above. Her first Sleepless book is excellent, and so is the novella it sprang from.

Sheila Finch is starting to make a name for herself, with her Xenolinguist series. I think that there is a novel and a fix up, or maybe an anthology out there.

Mary Doria Russell has two excellent, excellent books out, called The Sparrow, and a sequel whose name I forget. She is probably the most recognizable woman writing SF today.

Pat Cadigan is called "The Queen of Cyperpunk" and was one of the only notable women ever to write in the subgenre, if the only one.

Carol Emshwiller is a strong author from the New Wave era, and she has finally started putting out novels. So far they are pretty good. I have always loved her short stories, and you could spend a lifetime finding them all.

Pat Murphy is still writing. I like her stuff.

So is Eileen Gunn, but Ill be damned if I can ever remember reading anything by her. I just picked up something called Stable Strategies and Others at U-Books in Seattle, so we shall see what she can do.

Kristyn Kathryn Rausch (sp?) is still publishing. I think she and her husband, Dean, used to own a publisher called Axlotl/Pulphouse, which is the firm in the late 80's and early 90's came up with the business plan that is used by PS, Subterranean and many others today, where a trade, a limited and a leatherbound signed are produced in increasingly small numbers and marketed all at the same time, almost identically for each book. They folded.

Kathryn Cramer and Ann VanderMeer are both editors, and they are active now.

There are a few others that I like, but this should get you going.

Check out my book review site. Many of these authors are reviewed there, and soon enough they all will be. This link has them alphabetized by author:

Omphalos' Book Reviews: Browse Books

I've just produced an anthology of original short stories, Myth-Understandings, which features only female authors, split fairly evenly between SF and fantasy Untitled Document You might find a few authors in here to your liking.

Pat Cadigan, Leigh Kennedy and Justina Robson are all on top form, and Tricia Sullivan's story is just fantastic (if I do say so myself). Gwyneth Jones and Liz Williams have both written some outstanding science fiction as well, though their stories here are fantasy.

(snip)
Elizabeth Ann Scarborough worte a book called The Healer's War, which is quite good.

I totally agree with this. Best book she wrote.

(snip)

Kristyn Kathryn Rausch (sp?) is still publishing. I think she and her husband, Dean, used to own a publisher called Axlotl/Pulphouse, which is the firm in the late 80's and early 90's came up with the business plan that is used by PS, Subterranean and many others today, where a trade, a limited and a leatherbound signed are produced in increasingly small numbers and marketed all at the same time, almost identically for each book. They folded.

It's Kristine Kathryn Rusch (I have one of her books right in front of me) and again I totally agree, especially her retrieval artist series.

I also agree with Connavar on Cherryh's Faded Sun trilogy. Great book. Also, her Chanur series, very exciting.

I just remembered Connie Willis. Her Doomsday Book is highly recommended, although I haven't read it yet.

Justina Robson also has a good rep for her hard SF, but steer clear of her Quantum Gravity SF/fantasy mash-up series, which is absolutely terrible.

Melissa Scott wrote Five Twelfths of Heaven, Silence in Solitude, and The Empress of Earth, collectively called The Roads of Heaven. She's got other stuff, too, but I haven't ventured into it yet. I found her ideas and story interesting and entertaining. It's science fiction, but definitively NOT hard science fiction, and does border on fantasy in places.

Would also respectfully differ where Janny Wurts and "variable" quality are concerned; among those I've read, there isn't a current SFF writer (in my opinion) who's produced her level of quality so consistently for so long.

Back