Wing to New Mungo

apogee

'Wing is south of Iceland and north of the British Isles'.....Orkney? What does everyone think? On the 'real' island of Hoy in Orkney is a village called Longhope and another called Wyng!

On Mara's journey south to New Mungo why doesn't she come across other lands? The highlands of Scotland would be well above water level and would make fairly large islands.

Yes, I stole aspects of the real world (see writing thread on 'fictional stealing') including places and names but as it's fantasy fiction, I felt free to muck about with it (recreate, reinvent) as I wanted.

As I did with exact geography. The islanders are in darkness, storms and fog for most of their journey south; they don't know where they are in the world so all is murky. In Zenith, it's clearer that there is high land but it has been colonised by the New World.

I have a question about that. Why is the New World colonizing the highlands still left on Earth. I thought it was their doctrine to not acknowledge the existence of the outside world.