Gunslinger *Spoiler Warning*

In 7th grade my english teacher said I couldn't do a report on that book because it was too gruesome.

So I did it anyways and failed English.

Oh well, King failed English too!

Thats probably because you got the title wrong. Its called Eyes of the Dragon. :D

All of his books? That is asking a lot, you know? That guy can crank them out better than Koontz's and Crichton's ghola lovechild could. But I also dont think that you have to read the "full set" (if that means all of his books) to understand Gunslinger. You only have to read Gunslinger to do that. Not sure what you really meant there though dustinzgirl

Note quite. Dean Koontz has been publishing a LONG time under about eight different names. He wrote a book about how to make a living as a writer and his basic strategy was "be prolific, write several 60,000 novels a year in different genres under different names."

He is Leonard Chris, Deanna Dwyer, Brian Coffey, John Hill, K. R. Dwyer, Aaron Wolfe, David Axton, Leigh Nichols, Owen West, Richard Paige.

Let's put it this way. His first novel was published in 1968.

He's published 80 novels not including his children and non-fiction books.

He's published 5 children's books.

He's published 7 non-fiction books.

Also, 54 short stories.

Yeah, Dean Koontz has been busy.

I'm less than halfway thru book 1 and I can't tell you how many times I dozed off. There is a very disjointed feel to the storytelling that makes it hard to follow at times. The overall plot is also extremely dull which probably explains my bouts of unconsciousness.

You can certainly understand the characterization of Roland just by reading the Gunslinger, but to answer these questions: "Does he want vengeance? Or just to find the dark tower? Does it change, is their revenge, or is it just a quest for the unknown?" You have to read the set. I would say you could skip one or two of them, namely Susana's Song and Wizard and Glass, but even those had some special information you wouldn't get at the end if you didn't read them. You can, however, skip entire pages. :D

PS: You don't have to read all of his books, but you definitely have to read Salems' Lot, The Stand, Eyes of the Dragon, It, Insomnia, The Talisman, The Shining (no, watching the movie doesn't count!).

And as for not being able to read his books because he puts too many out, I have read all of them. Except for The Stand because the first part bored me to death. But I did watch the movie. LOL.

Ive read (out of that list) Salmes lot, The Stand, Eyes of the Dragon but none of the others.... and I am reading the drawing of the three now (yes Im reading about 50 books in between each dark tower book:p), so will I miss anything in drawing of the three?

Gunslinger is the best of the dark tower series (IMHO)
Especially the scene towards the end when he takes on the village, after reading it I was mightily impressed with the skill of the gunslinger.
I read the whole series, but was only impressed with Stephen King's bravery and ability to destroy that which he creates.