B&N does Lovecraft!!

Ningauble ... I do not have the book but am nevertheless very glad for the work you are doing to ensure that future printings will carry the correct versions. I agree wholeheartedly with JD about the impression typos give of the writer. Am an editor and still the knee-jerk reaction is always to blame the writer and I have to consciously pull back from that.

Thank you for your kind words. I do my best.

I have confirmation that my corrections will be included in the second printing.

Get the first printing while it lasts -- it's going to be a collector's item! :p:)

Do we know yet when this second edition will be released?

Excellent! I'll be sure to get a copy, and perhaps donate this one to someone.

I didn't stop by this place for so long I completely spaced the release of this book! :eek: A huge thanks to Ningauble for doing the corrections, and major kudos to B&N for releasing this. I just bought their complete Poe, and I look forward to getting the corrected Lovecraft. In the mean time I'm going to try to track down the first edition....

Any more news on a reprint? It's still unavailable at Barnes & Noble :(

Sorry, I still haven't heard anything. The editor at B&N hasn't replied to any of my e-mails over the past five months (I sent the latest three days ago), and even Joshi himself doesn't know. (However, he made hints about another very cool projected B&N volume, but since that has no release date either I don't feel that I'm at liberty to discuss it)

Darn, it still hasn't been released! I hope the corrected version comes out soon, I still haven't bought any of the Penguin editions in hopes of getting the complete set. I saw one book on amazon by Kindle, apparently containing complete works of Lovecraft.

I'd like to know if anyone owns this and if this version has any issues with it. But for crying out loud, why are they restricting this book for Canadian buyers. It's like anything related to Lovecraft is cursed.

Darn, it still hasn't been released! I hope the corrected version comes out soon, I still haven't bought any of the Penguin editions in hopes of getting the complete set.

Yeah, this waiting is a tad annoying. I wouldn't hold my breath, though. Since even Joshi doesn't know when it will be out, I don't think the people at B&N know either.

I saw one book on amazon by Kindle, apparently containing complete works of Lovecraft.

I'd like to know if anyone owns this and if this version has any issues with it. But for crying out loud, why are they restricting this book for Canadian buyers. It's like anything related to Lovecraft is cursed.

In my experience, when a book or a website claims to have the "complete" works of Lovecraft, it doesn't (I usually look for the obscure stuff, such as "Sweet Ermengarde" or "Ibid" -- if it's not there, then it's not complete). Also, I seriously doubt that any Kindle book has bothered with the corrected text versions.

The best texts online can be found at The H.P. Lovecraft Archive . There is a complete list of Lovecraft's fiction at HPLA - Lovecraft's Fiction - Chronological Order , with links to all the stories (I think) except the Eddy collaborations, which are still copyright protected by Eddy's grandson.

fwiw

I had this book on my 'wish list' at B&N (USA) and it just came in stock, it's the 2008 version, but I got it what the heck for $12

I just noticed all the errors you guys found, is the book OK to read? Most books have typos does this one have more than normal?

You can read it, but prepare to be annoyed. And yes, I'd say this book has way more typos than normal.

You can read it, but prepare to be annoyed. And yes, I'd say this book has way more typos than normal.

I would agree -- an astounding amount more than is usual. As someone who once earned his living as a typesetter and proofreader, I personally find the number of errors in the book appalling. It is an attractive book otherwise, and one I'm glad to have on my shelves; but the number of errors in this one may well be worse than any I have ever seen... including some of the lower-grade fan publications....

(However, if they do actually get this aspect taken care of, this is likely to be among the best editions of HPL out there....)

Back