B&N does Lovecraft!!

I'm assuming that was this one, folks:

Amazon.com: Necronomicon: The Best Weird Tales of H. P. Lovecraft (Gollancz SF): H. P. Lovecraft: Books

If so, it isn't a complete edition of his original fiction, and (iirc) uses older, less accurate texts, so there are more problems there. It is, however, a very attractive book, with some quite good artwork and a lengthy article by Stephen Jones....

That's the one.

I almost bought it, but now I am glad I held out for the BnN one.

If so, it isn't a complete edition of his original fiction, and (iirc) uses older, less accurate texts, so there are more problems there.

Stranger than that, in fact -- it's got the old error-riddled versions with some errors corrected. In another words, a completely new never-before-seen text! :eek:

Stranger than that, in fact -- it's got the old error-riddled versions with some errors corrected. In another words, a completely new never-before-seen text! :eek:

Now with all new errors, never before corrected!

Reminds me of a tale (possibly apocryphal) about Bradbury. Apparently, about 20 years ago there were plans to do a set of his works in (more-or-less) authoritative editions and, when it came to him going through some of the more recent printings, with the various errors and editorial slips which had crept in, his response was a shocked and indignant "I didn't write that!"...

I was wondering if you were going to undertake this task....;)

I've received the book now and will probably start reading it within the next few weeks. I think I'll start a new thread specifically for errata for this book, and post lists for every story as I finish it.

(Incidentally, I found that it's got "forces" instead of the correct "faces" in "What the Moon Brings". Gaaaaaaaaaahh!!)

It also has "heard" instead of "herd" in "The Transition of Juan Romero"... just the sort of misprint of which HPL complained, as it makes the writer look like a half-wit, rather than the typesetter or compositor....

I've determined that the B&N text is based on the Penguin texts -- the same typos occur again (such as "know in their heads" in "The Festival"), with some new ones added.

I've been able to keep decent speed lately on the errata -- Azathoth willing I'll have the whole thing done by the end of April.

I have finished it and read some in a Sci-Fi Book club edition, The Black Seas of Infinity, the ones in the B&N book seem to be somewhat longer, like there was words dropped from the BSI book. Have I overlooked something in the book club edition?

I have finished it and read some in a Sci-Fi Book club edition, The Black Seas of Infinity, the ones in the B&N book seem to be somewhat longer, like there was words dropped from the BSI book. Have I overlooked something in the book club edition?

I haven't seen Black Seas of Infinity, but it is most likely based on the uncorrected texts. However, the difference in length is negligible in most cases. I'd say any difference in length is probably due to differences in layout.

Thanks for the errata work, Ningauble. What a resourse! Too bad about all the typos. I thought this book finally was The One and The Final. I guess not.

I have confirmation that my corrections will be included in the second printing.

Get the first printing while it lasts -- it's going to be a collector's item! :p:)

Speaking of the first printing -- I just checked the B&N site, and the thing has already sold out! You may be able to find a copy at a bookstore (that's how I found my copies of the first two Hodgson volumes by Night Shade), but as of right now, the thing is officially unavailable....

Speaking of the first printing -- I just checked the B&N site, and the thing has already sold out! You may be able to find a copy at a bookstore (that's how I found my copies of the first two Hodgson volumes by Night Shade), but as of right now, the thing is officially unavailable....

Damn... Let's hope they can wait a couple of months with the reprint, because that's as long as I'll need to finish the errata.

Damn... Let's hope they can wait a couple of months with the reprint, because that's as long as I'll need to finish the errata.

I want to especially thank you for the work you're doing on corrections, &c. This is the book that S. T. hopes will become the standard edition for Lovecraft's fiction. Because it's so inexpensive, it is ideal for use in schools and libraries &c. S. T. is especially pleased that it includes the never-before published long version of "Tyhe Mysterious Ship" -- "It's an awful story, but it's still a first!" he told me when we got together for lunch and I had him sign my copy. It's a wonderful wonderful book, and you will make it the book we have all been waiting for when your corrections are incorporated. I salute you!!:D

Ningauble ... I do not have the book but am nevertheless very glad for the work you are doing to ensure that future printings will carry the correct versions. I agree wholeheartedly with JD about the impression typos give of the writer. Am an editor and still the knee-jerk reaction is always to blame the writer and I have to consciously pull back from that.

I want to especially thank you for the work you're doing on corrections, &c. This is the book that S. T. hopes will become the standard edition for Lovecraft's fiction. Because it's so inexpensive, it is ideal for use in schools and libraries &c. S. T. is especially pleased that it includes the never-before published long version of "Tyhe Mysterious Ship" -- "It's an awful story, but it's still a first!" he told me when we got together for lunch and I had him sign my copy. It's a wonderful wonderful book, and you will make it the book we have all been waiting for when your corrections are incorporated. I salute you!!:D

Thank you very much, Wilum! And welcome aboard, by the way -- you're everywhere I turn these days. :D

Yes, I hope to catch them all, but at the same time I'm realist enough to realise that I probably won't. As I check the stories I compare them against my personally created and personally typed e-library of Lovecraft's stories, which has been proofed TWICE against the Arkham House volumes by an obsessive proofreader (=me), and yet I still find mistakes in them. :eek:So I'm very worried about my accomplishment with this book. At best I'll make the job a whole lot tougher for the guy who comes after me! :p

Back