just finished Monarchies of God by Paul Kearney

Solaris Books has been put for sale by its parent company, Games Workshop. As a result, the status of the Monarchies reprints plus Kearney's new Macht books has been put in doubt.

:(

Guy just can't seem to catch a break.

Solaris Books has been put for sale by its parent company, Games Workshop. As a result, the status of the Monarchies reprints plus Kearney's new Macht books has been put in doubt.

:(

Guy just can't seem to catch a break.

That really sucks i was waiting to hear about the realese dates for the reprinting and looking forward to the Macth even if i havent read the first one yet.

I really really hope they still happen.

Its cruel for the author and for his new and old readers like us.

Frustrating....Someone with this amount of talent shouldn't have to continually put up with this level of uncertainity.

According to Paul, the two new Macht books are on hold until Solaris find a new buyer. The Monarchies ominibuses will be going ahead as planned.

According to Paul, the two new Macht books are on hold until Solaris find a new buyer. The Monarchies ominibuses will be going ahead as planned.

Yeah i saw on his forum that they will be out in the fall which is great news.

I saw also Third Sea Beggars is coming out in omnibus. It doesnt matter when it come out as long it comes out but do you think it will be still 4 books series ?

I finished This Forsaken Earth last night and i have even more admiration for his skills. Even more grim,shocking,better story than the first. Maybe it was too grim for the romantic fantasy masses for the book to sell alot but who cares when its that good.

Im starting Monarchies series tonight after work, i wonder how it will in quality compared the two Sea Beggars.

Im starting Monarchies series tonight after work, i wonder how it will in quality compared the two Sea Beggars.
For me Beggars was much more "polished" than Monarchies which was his earlier work. Monarchies is still good and you will enjoy it and that's the bottom line.

Once you've finished reading Kearney's current work then if you behave yourself Uncle Gollum might just tell you about the next "great" author you should be reading....:p:p;):D

For me Beggars was much more "polished" than Monarchies which was his earlier work. Monarchies is still good and you will enjoy it and that's the bottom line.

Once you've finished reading Kearney's current work then if you behave yourself Uncle Gollum might just tell you about the next "great" author you should be reading....:p:p;):D

I doubt those will be as Kearney has become. He has becoming a fixation for me. I cant read another books of mine when i have his unread, i cant i just cant ! :)

The guy is a hybrid of several fav authors of mine. The nautical elements+grim fantasy world,great characters make me think of C.S Forester(Hornblower)+REH the grim fantasy world + Gemmell in the hardcore,the many interesting characters.

Thats why i react so well to him compared to other authors you have recommend.
His ability to write those elements so well is perfectly to my taste. I saw some poster in his forum complain about Sea Beggars that it was too much sea faring detail. When for me it was delight to read every detail, seeing the ship life,how everything work,the grim battles. It was like reading C.S Forester for the first time again which is special to me.

I didnt care about Nautical stories before him.

If Kearney was a historical fiction writer, he would be huge. He would never have publisher problem. Just like C.S Forester is still big and reprinted all the time. He would be compared and sell so well for historical feel,nautical elements,military elements.

Thats why i react so well to him compared to other authors you have recommend.
Actually on a serious note ( for a change... ;) ) PM me on those authors you haven't liked as much vs. those you really liked w.r.t. any I may have suggested. It would practically assist me in being able to better understand your tastes, as I don't like to lead people the wrong way.

I also love Kearney's descriptions of the sea. I'm a big fan of that aspect and it's obvious he knows what he is talking about.

I'll tell you another who has some nice sea elements in her stories and that is Janny Wurts, I especially liked her early stuff like Master Of Whitestorm and the Cycle of Fire trilogy that deals with a wizard who is a master of wind and wave, which gives plenty of scope for nautical aspects to the novels. Her more recent lengthy series also has several nautical elements running throughout but is not as concentrated as her earlier works. You won't get as much of a military "in-your-face" aspect as with Kearney but she must have a like for the ocean too I think!

Cheers...:)

Yeah i saw on his forum that they will be out in the fall which is great news.

I saw also Third Sea Beggars is coming out in omnibus. It doesnt matter when it come out as long it comes out but do you think it will be still 4 books series ?

The current plan, I believe, is for the third and fourth books to be combined into one big volume (with the working title Storm of the Dead I believe) and written and published together.

The current plan, I believe, is for the third and fourth books to be combined into one big volume (with the working title Storm of the Dead I believe) and written and published together.

That is great cause i thought the omnibus was for the first two books and then later on there would be another omnibus for book 3,4 just like Monarchies series.

So we might actually get an ending to Sea Beggars thats nice. Me and me my brother was almost mourning the series thinking how many more years we would wait for even only the third book.

Guys, have you ever thought that you could get all the info on my books straight from the horse's mouth if you ambled along to the forum on my website?? I always reply to questions and PMs. Having said that, ask me what you want to know and I'll tell you here if you like. There have been a lot of developments lately. Now I know why the Chinese consider it a curse to say: May you live in interesting times.
Connavar - I really appreciate your enthusiasm; it's bloody great to find a reader who actually gets my stuff. - Gollum, you too. Have we encountered one another on the Erikson website? Werthead, to you I don't really have to say anything - except perhaps, thanks for championing me in the David Gemmell thing. I owe you a pint.
Cheers,
Paul Kearney

Last edited:
Guys, have you ever thought that you could get all the info on my books straight from the horse's mouth if you ambled along to the forum on my website?? I always reply to questions and PMs. Having said that, ask me what you want to know and I'll tell you here if you like. There have been a lot of developments lately. Now I know why the Chinese consider it a curse to say: May you live in interesting times.
Connavar - I really appreciate your enthusiasm; it's bloody great to find a reader who actually gets my stuff. - Gollum, you too. Have we encountered one another on the Erikson website? Werthead, to you I don't really have to say anything - except perhaps, thanks for championing me in the David Gemmell thing. I owe you a pint.
Cheers,
Paul Kearney

I was so taken in by Sea Beggars books that i read your forum,news,post about the books,even became a member but didnt get the activation mail.
I was waiting that to ask questions about the books.

All i want to know right now is if its really confirmed about the realese for the last two Sea Beggars book ? Even wiki has updated that in your wiki page.

To you i can only say its also bloody great to find an author that write so interesting books that are perfectly to my taste. Im a big fan of C.S Forester and i adore the sailing,naval elements in your books extra for that reasons. I have thought many times why cant there be a new version of C.S.F.

Nice to see you hear as well, Paul. Let us know when you're next in London and we'll sort out that pint :)

I guess the obvious question is any news on the Monarchies omnibuses? I'm hoping for some badass cover art.

Connavar, I think that was Solaris' plan before they got put on the market by Games Workshop. Presumably all future plans for the Sea-Beggars and the possible other Macht books are in limbo until Solaris gets purchased or Paul finds another publisher for them. But Paul can tells us more himself :)

Connavar - I really appreciate your enthusiasm; it's bloody great to find a reader who actually gets my stuff. - Gollum, you too. Have we encountered one another on the Erikson website?
UM...probably not Paul BUT I'm a big Erikson and Glenn Cook fan, just ask the folks around here....;)

I have wandered over to your neck of the woods from time to time as I do with other authors but more to keep an eye on latest developments than to join in per se as I suppose this forum is where I spend most of my time.

BTW I have enjoyed correspondence with Gary Wassner, a friend of Scott Bakker, so you may know him by extension and a long story but I did have have a chance to share a beer or three at your place once through another net contact/friend of yours but didn't eventuate as travel plans fell through (living in Australia does have its drawbacks).......a very small world eh?

Anyway, very nice of you to drop in as I've been a fan of your books for some time now!.....:)

Last edited:
Well, I've still heard nothing about the Solaris sale, though last time there was an inkling, negotiations with a possible buyer were at quite an advanced stage.

The Monarchies contracts have been signed, so there should be no problem publishing them. (He touches wood here)

What caused all the delays was that Solaris were trying to get hold of e-copies of the typescripts. I personally only possess electronic copies of the last two books; the first three were written on a long defunct Amstrad, and saved on floppies. These had, inevitably, corrupted, so only the paper copies remained. Gollancz had also lost their e-copies, though it took a year of phone calls to make them admit it, so we were at square one.

Eventually Christan said to hell with it, and has started scanning in the books page by page.... No word on covers yet, or a publication date, though I'm still hoping for this year (he grits his teeth in determined optimism).

The Sea Beggars of course are all now up the left. The plan was for me to write the ending to the series in one big book called Storm of the Dead, and then Solaris would publish the whole series as one big omnibus. Everything has gone silent on that front, so I've no idea. It's all up to whoever the new owners of Solaris turn out to be. Square One. Again.

On the plus side, the French have bought the Ten Thousand for quite a bit more than Solaris paid for it, and a Madrid publisher has bought the Monarchies series too, and looking at the covers he has proposed for them my jaw drops with awe. The Monarchies, ironically enough, are still in print in France (where they're on a second edition), and in Germany, the Czech Republic, Israel and Poland. The French covers are excellent, too. Sea Beggars is still in print in all those countries bar Israel. I actually do much better with overseas editions of my books than I ever do in the UK. As for the US; they just don't seem to get my stuff at all. Witness some of the reviews Ten Thousand has garnered on Amazon.com...

So that's pretty much the state of play at the moment. The two new Macht books were basically all agreed, down to numbers and deliveries etc, but the contracts had not physically been signed (I guess I jumped the gun a little giving you that exclusive, Werthead). They were provisionally entitled Corvus and Kings of Morning. They're not dead yet, but they're certainly on life support...
I've still a shot or two in my locker, and am writing a new book right at this moment, for which I've no contract, but what the hell.

It's not fantasy.

Shame about the rest of the sea beggars.

Since just today i went and bought The Ten Thousand i hope the other books of the same series arent totally dead just to read more books of yours. Other than God of Monarchies i dont want to run out of books not too fast atleast :)

God of Monarchies are good after the first book so far but the traditional high fantasy technique of several different character point of views arent as naturally as interesting as Sea Beggars type fantasy. If it was any other less talented author i wouldnt read much of it. Not about the quality but its real traditional fantasy of its kind.

I live in sweden and most of my books are UK versions so i dont have problem with books being out of print in US i can still get them. That makes it confusing for me sometimes. Your hear books not being in print when people mean its only in US.

Is the genre of the book you are writing a secret ? You can see by a earlier post of mine what i thought about your writing and historical fiction. I even laughed when i read review complaining The Mark of Ran was too little fantasy and too much like historical fiction book.

Thanks for the updates, much appreciated.

How someone of your obvious writing and strotelling ability gets mucked about to the extent you do beats me!....:confused::confused::confused:

Fingers crossed the contracts come through for you.

I might track down a copy of the German edns. as I've been known to speak a word or to.

Cheers...

Glad for Paul he could land this deal. He deserves any break he gets.

Thanks for the news Conn, something else to look forward to over the next 18 odd months... :)

Its in the top of my preorders list for next year along with REH,Jack Vance books shows how much i like Kearney's writing :)

He deserve much more than just getting new books published but i'm fine as long i can read his new books.

Back