Dresden Files Books newbie Discussion

So what did you think of it ? The Nightmare thing ? Fae godmother everywhere which is nice since i like her. She is nasty but so interesting to read. God's warrior with the holy sword heh.

Sorry it took me a bit to reply, but - yes, it was great. Plenty of good ideas/interesting solutions there and his fairy godmother is quite entertaining too.

I still keep day dreaming myself into that universe. I can't stop! One moment I'm a damphyr (sp?) and another, I'm a human who has undiscovered powers and another I a completely different person. Far from all people in that universe comes into direct contact with the supernatural, you know.

Sorry it took me a bit to reply, but - yes, it was great. Plenty of good ideas/interesting solutions there and his fairy godmother is quite entertaining too.

I still keep day dreaming myself into that universe. I can't stop! One moment I'm a damphyr (sp?) and another, I'm a human who has undiscovered powers and another I a completely different person. Far from all people in that universe comes into direct contact with the supernatural, you know.

Heh which book are you on now ?

I have just started reading the 5th book. The danger level for Harry reminds me of Grave Peril.

Heh which book are you on now ?

I have just started reading the 5th book. The danger level for Harry reminds me of Grave Peril.

I've finished reading White Night and have yet to buy Small Favor, though I know that my favourite book pusher has it now. I meant to buy it Saturday, but got a cold and didn't feel up for going there.

I've finished reading White Night and have yet to buy Small Favor, though I know that my favourite book pusher has it now. I meant to buy it Saturday, but got a cold and didn't feel up for going there.

Heh everyone who joined the Dresden fan club after me in chrons is ahead of me now in the series. I have been taking it slowly not overdose in Dresden Files.

But now its enough of that, i will catch up finally. The JB forums is dangerous otherwise with all the characters story you dont know about ;)

I think Dresden is the only fantasy books/series i read for the fast paced fun it is. Thats why the books always look better to me after a while off them. Only other type of books i like read for that reason is crime books.

I think that might be my problem. I like the IDEA of blending the fantasy and detective genres, but in practice it doesn't seem to work for me. If I feel like some magic, I opt for some more epic fantasy. If I'm in the mood for some crime stuff, I like a good hard-boiled detective. Dresden sits in the middle of that area, and it sounds good in my head, but when I'm reading it just doesn't seem to work for me. Bummer!

Storm Front is much closer to the 'noir' feel than later ones, but, then again, Harry's done a LOT since that first book. There's a lot going on and as it goes, we learn more and more about pre-Storm Front Harry. It's not easy to balance character development and backstory with 'casefile' plot and keep everything the same as the beginning.

Heck, Jim's even said if he were to write Storm Front with the 'knowledge' he's gained, it would be a completely different book. XD Though, I don't know that it would work as well, I like Storm Front for what it is. =)

Storm Front is much closer to the 'noir' feel than later ones, but, then again, Harry's done a LOT since that first book. There's a lot going on and as it goes, we learn more and more about pre-Storm Front Harry. It's not easy to balance character development and backstory with 'casefile' plot and keep everything the same as the beginning.

Heck, Jim's even said if he were to write Storm Front with the 'knowledge' he's gained, it would be a completely different book. XD Though, I don't know that it would work as well, I like Storm Front for what it is. =)

Then we should be glad he cant write Storm Front again.

Cause as you say it had more noir feel,solving a mystery to it than others with huge important storylines like Fae wars,Fallen Angels etc
That made me a fan. I wouldnt feel the same for a more typical urban fantasy full on magic,demons,vamps etc from the start.

I think he should go back to alittle to the elements of the first two books. Not that should a stand alone casefile plot but to balance things. Make it more simpler for Harry. Im reading Death Masks and it is too many enemies,storylines at once. Its good but could be more fun if Harry had act like an investigator again. Now in this books he comes up against his enemies because they find him,hunt him down.

Only crime,noir things left in the series now is the type of character,humor,the mystery in the first few pages. Thats a shame imo.

Not saying i dont enjoy the big important storylines focused books.

Then we should be glad he cant write Storm Front again.

Cause as you say it had more noir feel,solving a mystery to it than others with huge important storylines like Fae wars,Fallen Angels etc
That made me a fan. I wouldnt feel the same for a more typical urban fantasy full on magic,demons,vamps etc from the start.

I think he should go back to alittle to the elements of the first two books. Not that should a stand alone casefile plot but to balance things. Make it more simpler for Harry. Im reading Death Masks and it is too many enemies,storylines at once. Its good but could be more fun if Harry had act like an investigator again. Now in this books he comes up against his enemies because they find him,hunt him down.

Only crime,noir things left in the series now is the type of character,humor,the mystery in the first few pages. Thats a shame imo.

Not saying i dont enjoy the big important storylines focused books.

That's exactly the problem I had, and it started around Summer Knight. I liked the more noir feel of the early novels, with Harry as an investigator. As the series progressed though, each book became more part of some longer, as-yet-unclear plot arc and each novel had about 3 different mysteries. Oftentimes, they would be totally unrelated to boot and seemingly only got tossed into the book to inflate the number of Dan Brown style cliffhangers.

Yes, JB is leaving loose threads from each of his books. That is why I suppose it is a series and not a one off story complete in one book.

Equally, yes, JB did not have a complete story arc in mind when he started the series. Though he may have a "sort of" ending in mind when he started.

However, I like the series. I plan to read until until I am too dead to buy another book. I do have an actuarial chance of reading the last one, though. hehe

Heh everyone who joined the Dresden fan club after me in chrons is ahead of me now in the series. I have been taking it slowly not overdose in Dresden Files.

But now its enough of that, i will catch up finally. The JB forums is dangerous otherwise with all the characters story you dont know about ;)

Well, you might catch up with me soon if I don't get better before Easter and you read really fast :D

Do you have to read them in order?

I think so. The books build on each other and introduce characters and plots as you go. I think you'd be a bit lost jumping into the middle without understanding Harry's relationship to the rest of the characters.

Do you have to read them in order?

You don't absolutely *have* to read them in order. They're designed to be individual case files that have some common threads.

However, they do work better if read in order if you like trying to figure things out. XD

I agree that in order is best. However, I do suppose that you could read them out of order. However, there is significant backstory that will be missing if you do that will leave you puzzled and wondering what in the world was that all about.

Take the leap and buy the back issues as used books from B&N, or Amazon or find them in your local library. The latter will be less successful, I fear. Used prices are good and if you purchase enough you may even make it to free shipping. However, good luck on that last one.

Favorite book of the lot = Dead Beat, close second = Turncoat. And yes, reading in order is a must.

Can't remember where I read it, but supposedly there's like 24 books planned out.

Have read/re-read all including most of his Codex Alera (fantasy) series. Side Jobs is the last Dresden published- is a collection of short-stories that he's published over the years in various anthologies.

DO NOT READ the last story in Side Jobs if you haven't read Changes. It will spoil the ending.

I've only just read Storm Front. I got it after reading comments on another forum describing the series as 'Dresdencrack', which made me laugh. I enjoyed it, and they tell me the series gets better and better as it goes along. I hope this is true!

I've had my eye on reading some Jim Butcher for a while, but always had something else stop me from taking the plunge. Finally bought Storm Front, got through it in a week (generally have 3 or 4 on the go at one time so thats quick for me!)
Enjoyed the book & will definitely be buying the next in the series, from what i've read Storm Front was more dipping your toe in all things Dresden, looking forward to getting fully submerged!

I read an interview with Butcher where he said 20 books with the final 3 books being some apocalyptic trilogy of doom or some such cool sounding nasty thing! I'm sure that number has probably changed.

I've been to several conventions - and Jim's continuously said 'around 20 casebooks and a big apocalyptic trilogy capstone' (or some variant thereof), so the numbers haven't changed as best I can tell since about 2004. XD

And while there is backstory and later books reference things in earlier books (btw, earlier books reference things in later books too! XD), it's not impossible to read the series out of order and feel totally lost... until you get to Changes. The last two casebooks (not counting Sidejobs) are a little stickier in the 'each one is a contained story - not tied to the rest' bit. They're still 'contained', the problem is, if you start with Ghost Story, there are a lot of things that won't make sense.

Side note: Starting when Turn Coat came out (I think), I read the new one, then read the series backwards... *that* was fun. =) Oh the things you pick up that you hadn't noticed before. XD

Jim Butcher lives just down the road a piece from here. I always think myabe I'll run into him somewheres :)

I read one Dresden book years ago, right after I watched the show. Entertaining for sure. Might should pick up another.