Dresden Files Books newbie Discussion

Connavar

I was wondering if im the only one here reading early Dresden Files for the first time ?

I just finished Fool Moon. I see several members show love for the series in these forums but most have read all books ,some are even rereading.

Thought this thread would be for newbies and talk about the early books you just read.

Sounds like a great idea to me!

I'm going to unstick all of the episode threads (now that the series is over and cancelled) and stick this one so it's easy to find.

Welcome to The Dresden Files! :)

Hehe that was surprising, didnt see it becoming stickied.

Im glad i started reading Dresden Files. Harry is classic hero. Old schooled in somethings but still works and even more in urban fantasy setting.

I thought we could talk about books we just finished and want to talk about. Long time Dresden fans can also of course join in.

Lets for example say its me and a couple other newbies talking about Fool Moon here, a old time reader who have read all the books can talk about it as much.

It's been a while since I've read "Fool Moon" (I've read 'em all several times *g*) - it's not one of my faves, actually, it's my least fave of the entire series. (Though I know some ppl who really like it.)

I'm not a big fan of werewolves - though there are exceptions - which probably influences my thoughts. But I like it for the fact that it moves the series along and gives some insight into the characters.

What are your thoughts on the first two books so far?

I enjoy werewolves to bits when they are done well. So the several different versions,their history in the books world was interesting. I liked it alot when Bob went through the info about them.

My thoughts are Storm Front was more solid,even than Fool Moon but Fool Moon reached higher levels. I liked alot how many different problems he had in Fool Moon. He barely had time to deal with them all.

Storm Front i liked how he used his brain more. No matter how i enjoyed Fool Moon more i couldnt stop thinking the Harry Dresden that planned his magic and his moves way ahead would have eaten alive some werewolv gang.

So Fool Moon was great but i need to see the Harry in book one that used his brain more and didnt make as many mistakes.

Also Bob is so awesome, i hope he gets alot more air time in the rest of the books :)

Just ordered Storm Front so will let you knwo what I think once I have read it :)

Well I read this on Friday, it didn't take too long as it wasn't a thick book. I found it a very easy read and enjoyed it. It didn't blow me away but it was entertaining and I will probably read some more of the series. It reminded me a little of Odd Thomas by Koontz and felt like it could be what Harry Potter does next :)

I can see myself reading a Dresden book inbetween more serious works.

I've picked up Storm Front from the library, and am plannign to read it when I'm done with my current book. I have tried it once before, on the reccomendation of a friend, but didn't really get into it, so it will be interesting to see if I last the distance this time.

Well I read this on Friday, it didn't take too long as it wasn't a thick book. I found it a very easy read and enjoyed it. It didn't blow me away but it was entertaining and I will probably read some more of the series. It reminded me a little of Odd Thomas by Koontz and felt like it could be what Harry Potter does next :)

I can see myself reading a Dresden book inbetween more serious works.

I see the comparison to Odd Thomas but Harry Dresden has it much tougher.

His enemies arent normal killers and about dealing with ghost. He deals with many monsters that dont exist the real world like Odd Thomas world.

The second and third which im reading Harry has much tougher enemies and more than one enemy at the time.

For me its the enjoyment that i like so much. Harry carries the series well. His PI side which is classic hardboiled crime stuff and the urban fantasy part is very interesting. The mix is very good.

The second book might not be stronger than Storm Front but the third book is better IMO.

SF and FM aren't the strongest of the casefile books, but GP (#3) is one of the best! It's one of my top faves of the series (DM #5 is my fave). =)

And I make every effort to NOT compare Dresden to Potter, b/c I don't think they're remotely similar aside from first names. Not to mention, writing-wise, the Dresden books are far superior (IMO). I don't like the way the Harry Potter books are written and I've slogged through 5 of them.

Also, Dresden's bad guys are way cooler! =)

SF and FM aren't the strongest of the casefile books, but GP (#3) is one of the best! It's one of my top faves of the series (DM #5 is my fave). =)

And I make every effort to NOT compare Dresden to Potter, b/c I don't think they're remotely similar aside from first names. Not to mention, writing-wise, the Dresden books are far superior (IMO). I don't like the way the Harry Potter books are written and I've slogged through 5 of them.

Also, Dresden's bad guys are way cooler! =)

I get the same feel from Grave Peril, it feels like a book you will remember as one of the best. I love that the story is about the vamps and does it very well. Not the usual vamp stuff you read/see.

I thought Fool Moon was tough case but GP is even worse for poor Harry :p

His bad guys just keep get better. Marcone is wuss compared to the bad guys in GP ;)

Its currently one of my favorite fantasy series. I enjoy everything that happen to Dresden.

As this is just a character commentary, I'll let you in - Marcone - not a wuss. Not in any sense of the word. The man's got some brass ones, for sure. =)

The other trick to reading Dresden - keep an eye on EVERYONE that Harry meets. XD

That's all I'll say for now, but it's an important tidbit. Jim does an amazing job winding things together.

As this is just a character commentary, I'll let you in - Marcone - not a wuss. Not in any sense of the word. The man's got some brass ones, for sure. =)

The other trick to reading Dresden - keep an eye on EVERYONE that Harry meets. XD

That's all I'll say for now, but it's an important tidbit. Jim does an amazing job winding things together.

I know Marcone is hardcore but he is a human foe that doesnt scare Harry as much the monsters in book 2,3 for example.

I finished Grave Peril just now, damn i hate cliffhangers like that :p

Great ending, i finally saw Harry kick ass with magic. It was an all out war in the end. Of course it made me sad with what happened to Harry's personal life with you know who. The cliffhanger part makes me sure to get book 4,5 at once so i dont have to wait for the next book like now.

Butcher does an amazing keeping together things,specially the characters. He doesnt waste many. Its my favorit part of the series other than HD and his secret dark world. It feels more interesting when every character has a role.

I love this series. I'm on the third book at this point.... he is really a noteworthy author, and I rarely say such things. So far my favorite is the third (it's the mage, the werewolf, and then the vampire one....right?) with the dreams all. It's done exquisitely!

I really enjoyed the show, and just recently began the series. I'm starting the third one now. They're very light reading that I tear through quickly. I kind of consider them my literary candy. The series is a lot of fun. I've never read much detective noir but what I know of it Butcher captures the essence well.

I've just ordered books 2 and 3 so I'm trusting you guys here :)

Three totaly new Harry Dresden fans in a row nice see im not alone in chrons discovering this series.

Literary candy for sure its one of few fantasy books i usually finish in 24/7 reading session.

Light reading i would say only because of the pace. These kind of books urban fantasy or Noir books cant have uber slow pace. It must be lean,sparse and to the point.

What do you guys think about Bob ? I found him so fun and interesting. When he is serious he sounds like the spirit of an old wizard with his huge knowledge and when he is playing he is so funny :)

I love Bob

He knows a lot more than he lets on as well :) I knew when he asked Harry to make a love potion he knew exactly who would drink it and when

There are theories running around some Dresden communities that Marcone may *not* be human, but we won't know for sure until Jim tells us. =)

Bob - gotta love Bob. From what Jim's told us, Bob was a 'thumb the nose' at his writing instructor in college who told him not to have 'talking heads' in the story (essentially a random character put in place to dole out expositional dumps). Bob was his way of skirting that rule, but filling a huge space where he would've been left with Harry having to muse to himself about rules of magic. It's far more fun to have Harry be sort of the 'slightly-below-average' student w/ lots of power and not so much book learnin'.

As for the 'light reading' - only on the first trip through! Granted, my last trip through all the books, I was taking notes like crazy, but the rereads aren't nearly as fast, esp'ly if you've read further on in the series, b/c you start picking up things. *eg*