New Policy: Escape Velocity Magazine Now FREE

Robert M. Blevins

Adventure Books
When I'm not editing or writing, I enjoy fishing,
After some discussion by the staff of Adventure Books of Seattle this past weekend, we have decided to make the eBook versions of all issues of the Escape Velocity Magazine a free download. There are no forms to fill out, no catches, no baloney. Just point and click.

We decided to do this in response to other magazines charging for eBook downloads. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but since the opportunity arose for Adventure Books to enable this without using our own bandwidth or storage, we wanted to take advantage and make EV available to everyone.

EV differs somewhat from other eBook versions of magazines. Every bit you will find in the print version of the magazine exists in the e-version, including the actual cover images, which we install on the first and last pages of the manuscript. The only real difference is that we use an easier-to-read font for the eBook, and a better print font for the print version.

EV3frontcoverweb.png

Issues One, Two and Three (the one shown here) are now available as a free download at the Free Downloads page at the Escape Velocity Magazine website. Issue Three contains quite a bit of content, including almost a hundred pictures and images, as well as some 1200dpi blowups of the so-called 'Mars Statue' that has been discussed recently on the internet. Just click on any cover on the Free Downloads page and you are taken to the printer page for that particular issue. Then...just hit the download button. That's it. No forms, no unnecessary junk.

Enjoy!

On a side note, Issue Four (July/August) has an interview with a former cast member of the old Irwin Allen TV series, 'Land of the Giants'. We interviewed Stefan Arngrim, who played 'Barry' the young boy on the show. Don't miss this one.

Besides...it'll be free, anyway. :)

Robert M Blevins (Seattle, USA)
Geoff Nelder (Chester, Great Britain)
Managing Editors

We're definitely hard science-fiction oriented. I posted up somewhere once that one of the reasons we started EV was because of the number of science fiction mags out there that mix fantasy with spec fic with true sci-fi...in an effort to lasso all readers into the same corral.

EV is a bit renegade, but they loved us at the Northwest Science Fiction Convention this year. I went to the gift stuffing party myself with 3,000 color flyers and had a lot of fun. By the end of the four days, I was pretty tired though. However, I like doing the magazine more than doing books (AB of Seattle is scaling this back for 2008-09) A mag is an effort in continuing quality improvement, and a lot more fun.

Sometimes I am reminded of the story about American pundit and columnist H.L. Mencken. Back in the 1920's, a friend of Mencken's sent him a letter saying he had started up a new magazine. Mencken responded by mailing his friend a revolver and a note. The note said:

'Congratulations on your new enterprise! After the first six months, when you find out what you have gotten yourself into, just place this revolver against your head and pull the trigger...'

Mencken sometimes had a strange sense of humor.