Sword at Sunset by Sutcliff

Mithfanion

This is hailed as a classic of Arthurian legend retellings and has just been reprinted in a handsome format. Has anyone here read it? If yes, what did you think? Does it measure up to Stewart and Cornwell's fine trilogies?

This is hailed as a classic of Arthurian legend retellings and has just been reprinted in a handsome format. Has anyone here read it? If yes, what did you think? Does it measure up to Stewart and Cornwell's fine trilogies?

I haven't read Stewart and Cornwell but I HAVE read Sword at Sunset and its one of my favourite books. It tells the story as it might have happened in history, without magic. But Sutcliff also wrote a trilogy of retellings of the Arthur legends, which are also very fine. Mary

I, too, read it so long ago that I don't remember much about it (maybe nothing, since it's merged in my mind with so many other Arthurian retellings), except that I liked it very much at the time.

It's one of those books I mean to reread, but somehow never do.

I wonder how it compares to Jack Whyte's telling of the Arthurian legends, which was similarly a "guess at a historical" account without the fantastic elements usually associated with the stories.

It was the first time I had ever read a story of Arthur that could be a factual accounting of actual events. That's what I found so impressive.

You would probably then enjoy Jack Whyte. He did an interpretation of the Arthurian legend in rather historical way, and quite differently from Mary Stewart.

You would probably then enjoy Jack Whyte. He did an interpretation of the Arthurian legend in rather historical way, and quite differently from Mary Stewart.

I read most of the Jack Whyte books, except for the last two or three. I did enjoy them, but there was a different feel about them from the Sutcliffe book. The first of anything is always the one that impresses itself on your mind. Gillian Bradshaw also did a fine trilogy on the Arthur legend.

This is what Jack Whyte had to say about Sutcliffe's Sword at Sunset on his own message board recently:

Also, there's a brand new edition of one of my favourite books of all time, recently published by Chicago Review Press and containing a new foreword by me. This book, Sword At Sunset, by Rosemary Sutcliffe, was the first novel I ever read that treated King Arthur as what he must have been, a British, post-Roman warlord. I didn't know it at the time, but that book's effect on me was to change my entire life and it gave me the start of the perspectives I would form on Arthur's Britain over the decades that followed. It's been out of print for years and years, but this is the fortieth anniversary of its original publication and I was stunned when the editors at CRP aproached me to write a foreword for the re-issue they were preparing.

The new edition has the entire foreword by Whyte in it, but it's not so much that you should buy the book just for that, but rather for itself.

That's what I meant. I'm not a huge Whyte fan, but read a lot of his stuff back in the 90's. I never finished the series, because it wasn't finished, though I will probably return. I found Whyte very intelligent and engaging, and if the author was that inspired by Sutcliff, it is worth a good look.