Edgar Allan Poe

It assume it's that one, as that's the one I watched the other night (or at least the latter half). I enjoyed it -- a very bright, garish film with, as J.d says, some great use of lighting. I liked the merging of the Hop-Frog tale, I rather like that short story. And I was playing "Spot the Poe Tale", as I'm quite sure I saw a raven, mention of a heartbeat, and a something rather pendulum-like........

It assume it's that one, as that's the one I watched the other night (or at least the latter half). I enjoyed it -- a very bright, garish film with, as J.d says, some great use of lighting. I liked the merging of the Hop-Frog tale, I rather like that short story. And I was playing "Spot the Poe Tale", as I'm quite sure I saw a raven, mention of a heartbeat, and a something rather pendulum-like........

Yes, it was certainly the best of the Corman Poe films, with a script co-written by Charles Beaumont; so such references are quite likely.

I've always been most taken with Poe's nautical tales. The Maelstrom and Ms in a Bottle perfectly capture the the awesome impersonal power of the seas, whilst the Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym (one of his few novels) contains some wonderfully memorable scenes. Of his horror, I've reread Fall a number of times. A perfectly crafted tale. Imp of the Perverse I find disturbing for a number of reasons (I think it may have struck a chord...). His various miscellaneous tales vary in quality. Domain of Arnheim I found unique and dreamlike; Le Duc de L'Omelette was, uh, not my favorite.

Have read a couple of his shorts.

And listened to the album "Tales of mystery and imagination" by The Alan Parsons Project :)

No really, its good.

.....Le Duc de L'Omelette was, uh, not my favorite.

Ummm, HPL tended to call such things from Poe's pen "laboured pseudo-humour". On this one, I'd say he was right (though I do have rather a fondness for "Bon-Bon"... and "How to Write a Blackwood Article/A Predicament").

As for Pym... actually it was his only completed novel; The Journal of Julius Rodman was, I believe, intended to be of novel length, but he never completed it -- and, after having read it a few years ago, I can rather understand why. It's probably the only time I've ever had to truly grit my teeth to get through something of Poe's....

Kostmayer... I'll back you up on that. It ain't quite Poe, but it is a rather good album....

Bite your tongue! Can you imagine what Hollywood would do with this one? We'd certainly end up with the drug-crazed, drink-addled, degenerate misfit foisted on us by Griswold....
ah but who said anything about Hollywood! Why not a british or european film. Incidentally Hollywood have made some pearlers in the past
Incidentally, speaking of this idea, I recall that as far back as the 1980s, there was talk of Sylvester Stallone wanting to do a film about Poe... with himself in the role!:eek: (This may be pure nonsense, but I did come across it in various sources on current Hollywood projects, and considering that industry... it's really not that far-fetched....)
now that does sound crazy! BTW I've never seeen a photo of Poe,anyone?

ah but who said anything about Hollywood! Why not a british or european film. Incidentally Hollywood have made some pearlers in the past

Oh, I agree with that last... but "the past" is, for now at any rate, the operative phrase, I'd say.... and when they get it into their heads to do biopics... *shudder*

now that does sound crazy! BTW I've never seeen a photo of Poe,anyone?

Well, this wiki article has a copy of what is certainly one of the most famous:

Edgar Allan Poe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yahoo! Image Detail for www.hoerspielhelden.de/news/rezensionsspecial/poe2.jpg

As for a description, you might want to look at the final paragraph here:

Poe's Life - PoeMuseum.org

Apparently one of my friend's lecturers looks like Poe but without the moustache. I may have to infiltrate and see if it's true one day.

Just thought I'd mention that...

Thbanks JD,that was quick! He looks menacing doesn't he! A bit like Chopin actually!
Hoopy,fantastic avatar you got hun,love the nebula background! Combines fantasy and SF nicely!

Jeffrey Coombs played Poe in Stuart Gordon's adaptation of The Black Cat which featured Poe himself as the protagonist. It was really more of a tongue-in-cheek twist so it didn't matter to me at all as to the authenticity, but it was an entertaining episode and one that I enjoyed a good deal more than the source story.

Incidentally, speaking of this idea, I recall that as far back as the 1980s, there was talk of Sylvester Stallone wanting to do a film about Poe... with himself in the role!:eek:

Excuse me??? Does he know how to spell P-O-E? If he can do that Schwarzenegger can play Oscar Wilde! :rolleyes:

I love Poe too. I love everything he wrote that I read. I wish I have time to read every word he ever wrote and re read them again and again.

Wow i thought i was awed by Poe's writing.

I also thought some of his words was so well put that i read them a couple of times.

Have you read his poems or only his other works ?

I read some of his short stories and poetry and a couple of essays back in college. Among the few others Poe's works were the ones I read for enjoyment and not only for exams. There is a musical quality in his writing that I liked. In fact Rachmaninov composed a choral symphony based on Poe's poem The Bells. And someone else composed an opera The Fall of the House of Usher. Poe seems never out of the *fashion*.

I've got a single volume that supposedly collects all of his stories and poems. I haven't gone through it yet to see if that's true.

Most likely yes. Poe, like HPL, didn't actually produce that much in the way of fiction or poetry. One or two good-sized volumes should be able to accommodate all the completed work of that sort. Adding in the fragments, unfinished pieces, and criticism, etc.... that's an entirely different kettle of fish....