Why do you think Blade Runner is a cult film?

I was lucky to watch this at our local arts cinema a few months back (despite owning the video, dvd and bluray already) and I drank in every scene - it was the best cinema experience I've had in a long time.
It was a film I didn't really 'get' when I was young, but as I got older I started to appreciate it more with each viewing, and now I love it. I think because it deals with life and mortality, its themes are timeless and the setting is so lived-in it just feels natural. I also love the soundtrack to death!

I love this film too.I think Rutger Hauer is outstanding in it.I had to watch it a few times to get it all straight in my mind.
It is one film where I don't want the hero to win.

Having Harrison Ford and Rutger Hauer is a great start. Rugter's portral of Roy Batty was brilliant. Visually it was and remains an excellent movie.
True, those two actors do lend the film something unique. I especially like how those buildings are tilted. We don't have anything that even remotely resembles that bizarre appearance yet. Also the perpetual darkness provides the film with the right somber mood just as it does in Dark City.

Interesting aside: according to the Tommy Westphall Universe, Blade Runner is connected to multiple TV shows and movies. Of course, it's not "canon" and several usages are generic but it's fun to imagine given all sorts of crossovers needed to milk franchises for what they've got. Here's one example I remember:

Paul from Mad About You meets Ursula, who's the twin sister of Phoebe from Friends.

Chandler of Friends shows up in one episode of Caroline in the City.

Niles and Daphne of Frasier laugh at one of Caroline's cartoons.

John Hemmingway of the Laroquette show once calls in Frasier's radio show.

The bus stop across the street from Hemmingway's office was made by Yoyodyne.

Yoyodyne is one of the client's of the law firm in Angel. Another client's Weyland-Yutani.

W-Y is an arms, etc., manufacturer in Alien franchise.

Dallas of Alien worked for the Tyrrell Corporation.

The Tyrrell Corporation is featured in Blade Runner.

Blade Runner is an extension of 'Frankenstein'. The replicants are trying to return to their creator, their creator is trying to destroy them.