R.A. Salvatore: Spearwielder's Tale & Crimson Shadow

bookfan

What do you think of these Salvatore trilogies?

I have never read any of his books but have heard mostly good things about him, especially with his Forgotten Realms Drizzt novels. I just wanted know your thoughts on the above trilogies.

Both are available in very cost friendly omnibus editions that I'm thinking about buying them, though I'm leaning towards Crimson Shadow first.

No response means these books aren't that great?

Hi bookfan, i read Spearwielder's Tale many years back when i still enjoyed the Drizzt series. I remember the storyline revolving around a boy getting transported to a new world to help save it. It's a typical quest sort of story with the boy having a leprechaun, dwarf and an elf prince (i think) to help him. However after every quest, he goes back to earth, and there's a time differential of sorts. When i read it a long time back, i found it a very easy read with a nice and simple storyline. So if you miss the typical quest fantasy with plenty of action sequences (Salvatore's strongest point) you will enjoy the book.

However, if you prefer the more popular 'gritty' fantasy which is the current trend, then this might not appeal to you. Also, you could more or less guess how the story ends halfway through. However, if you're just in it for the fun, then this book might give you a pleasant surprise as it avoids many of the trappings that Salvatore makes in his Drizzt series

No response means these books aren't that great?

Haven't read this trilogies, but I have read "Dark Elf" trilogy, and it is still the most badly written trilogy that I have ever read. So I have no wish of getting in contact with Salvatore's work ever again.

I've read quite a bit of Slavatore's work. It's nothing great but Dark Elf trilogy is actually his best work.

I read Crimson Shadow years ago. Predictable, and a light escape. Good thing to keep on the back of the toilet, but not the shelf.