Kate Elliott is a master.

kauldron26

Crown of Stars has been something else entirely... Where do i begin... this series concerns humans, Aoi, angels, daimones, gods, godesses, religion, war, politics, romance, prejudice, hate, love, sex, violence, heresy, ignorance, heaven, earth, hell, humanity, immortality, mortality, morality, immorality, taboo, sexism, racism, faith... i need to breathe... i need to recover. I have spent months in kate Elliots world of 7 books spanning 10 years, followin over 20 major characters.

some books, break ur heart, some books get ur blood pumping, some books u fall in love with. What did Kate Elliot's Crown of Stars do to me? it humbled me.

One way you can tell an author is really great is when I recommend the work to someone else. No matter who I recommended Crown of Stars to they ALWAYS got back to me with their praise and thanks, and very often with just as much passion as I have just read from the OP of this thread. A Master indeed! :D

One way you can tell an author is really great is when I recommend the work to someone else. No matter who I recommended Crown of Stars to they ALWAYS got back to me with their praise and thanks, and very often with just as much passion as I have just read from the OP of this thread. A Master indeed! :D
Last week I went to a cafe where I know the owners on a personal level. Their son sat down to talk to me about books... which is where I discovered his love for Scifi & Fantasy... I loaned him King's Dragon and I look forward to seeing him on Thursday because every person I have loaned or recommended they read Kate's books has come back to me singing praises as well.

She is indeed a hidden master...

I just read the prologue of King's Dragon last night and I have actually never been this blown away by the beginning of a book in a long time yet. I like her style so far and story doesn't seem generic and the nice thing is when I read it I could feel and see the characters and the magic like a movie. So do you recommend her? Is she a generic fantasy story teller of farmboy becomes legend/saviour of mankind etc?

I just read the prologue of King's Dragon last night and I have actually never been this blown away by the beginning of a book in a long time yet. I like her style so far and story doesn't seem generic and the nice thing is when I read it I could feel and see the characters and the magic like a movie. So do you recommend her? Is she a generic fantasy story teller of farmboy becomes legend/saviour of mankind etc?
UMM.......I would desribe her work as being pseudo-generic, that is to say she utilizes some standard fantasy tropes but in a new and refreshing aspect or way. I'm a big fan of Kate's work and think she has a wonderful writing style/prose so if you are already impressed with what you've read then you'll only be more impressed as the series progresses with plenty of nice twists and turns.

Tad Williams, especially his wonderful Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series also has a standard byline in "kitchen boy becomes hero" but Tad is a talented writer and once again like Kate he manages to infuse enough originality into his script and characters to make reading his work a pleasure.

Of course there's plenty of other quality "EPIC" writers out there like George RR Martin, Steven Erikson, Paul Kearney, R Scott Bakker, Greg Keyes, Scott Lynch and the list like the road happily goes on and on...

I hope this provides you with some further insight into your question.

Cheers....:)

I find it ironic. When it comes to prising her people appear. However, no one likes her well enough to answer a simple question. Probably Crown of Stars is not as good as some claim it is...
Prove me wrong?