2.13: Exit Wounds

explaining Tosh and the 'space-pig' from Who
Oh - did I miss that?

In the episode 'Aliens of London' from series 1, Tosh is supposed to be examining the porcine pilot that the Slitheen have set up as a hoax alien. She's only in it for a couple of minutes.

Methinks he missed the explanation of Tosh in DW, actually.

The explanation, PT, was that in her second week at TW, Owen had a hangover and was unreachable, so she was sent down to London to act as a medic.

Am I the only one glad to see the back of Owen?
It depends who he is replaced with really. I still think there was much undeveloped potential in an undead character if they had done it from a hard-sf point of view rather than fantasy. I'm assuming that the actors wished to leave the series. I also think that if they could have drawn Tosh and Owen more along the lines they did in 'Fragments' then they might have had second thoughts about going.

This episode was certainly one of the best, but I wouldn't rate it as high as others have, and compared to Doctor Who or American imports it is still sorely lacking. As well as all the plot holes already mentioned in this thread, I don't understand why Greg would hold such a long standing grievance for his brother. Jack, I can understand feeling guilty; Greg's safety was left to him and he failed in his responsibility. The fault wasn't with Jack but with his parents. He wasn't ready to be given such a responsibility and clearly wasn't up to it. However, the young Greg would not understand any of that. All he would know was that his parents, and his brother all left him behind. If he had any grievance then surely it would be with his adult parents not his brother.

Consequently, the whole 'why is John doing this' didn't ring true either. I would have found it much more likely for John to be driving this because he seems quite unbalanced anyway. He already tried to kill Jack before when he threw him off a building, without anyone forcing him to do it.

:eek: Sorry, Grey!

Do you think that Captain John was maybe under the influence of Grey when he first appeared? He had a 'bigger than usual' 'wrist-strap' then. I guess that would go someway to explaining things, but it wasn't spelled out very clearly.

:eek: Sorry, Grey!

Do you think that Captain John was maybe under the influence of Grey when he first appeared?

Perhaps, though my recollections of that episode are not good enough to give you a definite yes or no. But it would make sense for Grey to have first done a reconnaissance mission.

All he would know was that his parents, and his brother all left him behind. If he had any grievance then surely it would be with his adult parents not his brother.
But his parents aren't there...Jack is.

All he would know was that his parents, and his brother all left him behind. If he had any grievance then surely it would be with his adult parents not his brother.

But it was his brother who stopped holding his hand and ran away...

Am I the only one glad to see the back of Owen ?

Nope. I was glad to see the back of the weasel-man too. Ianto the non-actor next, please (he non-acted as if his life depended on it in this episode. I mean, even the Barrowman pulled out all the stops and managed to push his gamut into the low c's.....)

Doesn't this mean there were 4 Captain Jacks existing in the same time zone on Earth at the same time?

The World Ward II Jack from his first Dr Who appearence, his 100 year stint with Torchwood, his other 100 year stint in the freezer, and his brief visit back in time where he met the real Captain Jack?

Doesn't this mean there were 4 Captain Jacks existing in the same time zone on Earth at the same time?

That's right, Kos - gods alone know what would have happened if they'd all met up.
Mind you, they'd be able to carry out what is probably Captain Jack's greatest secret fantasy.....;):D

Am I the only one glad to see the back of Owen ?

No ! I was kinda hoping he'd go when he died - but no, they kept him there as a dead man.

I know this is totally a weird reason for not liking him, but it was his mouth, looked like he'd been whacked in the face with an axe. Not the actors fault just the way his face is made. But it used to really put me off watching

It's just something you couldn't help noticing. When he was screaming at the end, I couldn't help thinking, "Cor! That's one hell of a mouth. I wonder how many Snooker balls he can fit in that...". :eek:

Seen it at last on iPlayer! (I've been out of the country). That worked really well so maybe I'll watch Fragments in a bit.

I knew by now to expect 2 deaths and I've always found Tosh the most annoying character so didn't mind too much that she was one of them. As for Owen, since we never understood why he was still "alive" or why king of the Weevils, it was good to get rid of him.

Someone please tell me how the ring worked though!

Mary

You might be too late to watch Fragments on the iPlayer, Mary. If so, drop me a PM, and I'll send you a link to a different site.

As for the ring, I guess it was just a sort of tracker that Captain John bought so he could track... himself. It was probably used solely as a plot device so that Jack could be found, and indeed, he was.

Have you watched the Torchwood Declassified for Episode 13? If not, it's on iPlayer and it's only ten minutes long. I thought it was worth the watch, at least.