Your favourite ever character

kaneda

Did you not know?
I noticed that there's a thread asking this question in the fiest forum, but there's not one here.

Yes, it's a challenging question (as there are so many great characters out there), but out of all the fantasy/sci-fi books you've read, who would you say has been your favourite ever character and why? :confused::)

I'm still having a think, but I'm fairly certain that I will end up choosing Raistlin from dragonlance. He had a huge impact on my life, really influencing to my love of fantasy and generally my love of reading.

Only one? From the entire genre??:eek:

Sam Vimes, from Pratchett's Discworld series, by a very short head......

I'm also :eek: about picking just 1, although Raistlin is a good choice. ;)

While my choice probably suffers from recency bias (at least over the past 10 years, anyway), I'm going to go with Arithon from Janny Wurts' Wars of Light and Shadow series.

Pham Nuwen from Vernor Vinge novels, A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky. He left such an impression on my mind.

I think Tyrion Lanister is one of the most well-written characters ever, and easily one of my favorite characters to read about...

Also love reading Mat's chapters from Wheel of Time.

It's hard for me to say. It's a tossup between a lot of characters by Eddings and Anthony. I'd probably say a tossup between Durnik, Silk, Bink from Xanth, and all kinds of assorted characters from the Incarntions of Immortality series.

If forced to pick just one, I'll have to go with FitzChivalry Farseer. I loved reading about this guy from when he was just this little kid to the end of the third trilogy. I hated his enemies, I teared up during his struggles, I cheered for his triumphs. Just a phenomenal piece of character writing from Robin Hobb.

Honor Harrington from David Webers Honor Harrington series
why? cos she's a believable and exciting character to read about (Along with her pet treecat Nimitz)

That is a harsh question, but I think it would have to be Tyrion Lannister from A Song of Ice and Fire.

I would have to give an honorary shout out to Glokta from Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy, who is just an awesome character with an excellent character arc from start to finish in the trilogy.

Calis from the Raymond E. Fiest universe. Just like his cool, stoic demeanor.

Cayal from Jennifer Fallons Tide Lord series. He is one of 23 Immortals (he known as the Immortal Prince). He has lived for 8000 years and wants to die. He has a very sarcastic, smug, pessimistic demeanor but he is quiet a good character for one who wants to die.

I'm afraid I can't pick one single character from literature, nor from any specific genre, as my favorite ever character. Too many that have too many places in my heart and memory.

I can, however, pick a few that have had a strong influence on me, and perhaps the strongest may be Asimov's Susan Calvin, who is a much more complex character than is often realized, and also (at the tender age of 6, when I first encountered her) caught my attention as a very strong female character, with a scientific, rational view of the world, who nonetheless had very strong (if often suppressed) emotions, and someone who (despite her self-deprecation in this area) grew to understand people quite as well as ever she did robots....

Tyrion Lannister from George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire - so many thing I like about him; Intelligent, witty etc. etc. very unpredictable and dangerous, but most of all he's the closest I could relate to in any fiction I've read thus far...

Also like to mention Eddard Stark; nobility personified...

Cheers, DeepThought

James Alexander Malcolm MacKenzie Fraser :D from the Outlander series.

That is a tough question! Right now, I'd have to say Robin Hobb's Fool, from the Farseer/Tawny Man trilogies, although that will likely change again.

Almost impossible to choose just one. Hell, it'd be difficult to pick my favourite character just from one author, let alone from the entire genre. Still...if I were to be pushed (and prodded, and generally harassed into making a decision:p), it would probably have to be Stark from Michael Marshall Smith's Only Forward.