Sheri S. Tepper

The Procrastinator

1 Candlepower Brain
Why do people apostrophise plural's? Is it capital
Am I imagining it, or is there as yet no thread dedicated to Sheri S. Tepper?

If there is, mods, please bung this in with it - if not, well there's one now.:cool:

I own a heap of Tepper's books, but was motivated to start this thread by finally getting hold of three of her very early ones - which served as a reminder that she has always been, and continues to be, a writer of vision, intelligence, imagination and verve, who knows how to get the hooks into the reader in all manner of ways. I couldn't count the number of her books that were unputdownable. She's simply a superior writer. Quality. Her only weakness as far as I'm concerned is a tendency to repeat certain themes, and as these themes are never light (though the execution can be deceptively so - for a time), the tone can get a little preachy. That's Tepper at her worst, and considering all her strengths, I never find it hard to forgive her. At her best, there's a magical quality to her writing that transports you and inspires you, gives you new perspectives, makes you think about the world and yourself, and leads you to think that maybe there is some hope for us, after all.

My personal faves, in no particular order:
Grass
Raising the Stones
The Gate to Women's Country
The Family Tree
The Companions

Any other Tepper fans out there?

I read After Long Silence the year it was first published, Procrastinator. I thought it was a great book, but I never bought any others, and if there's a reason, it's probably just that there were so many other authors and books at that point for me to explore. Probably time to pick up some others!;)

Been quite a while since I've read Tepper (though I had pulled several books out for a reread, as well as a few for a first-time-round), but I'd also add my voice to those recommending her work.

As for why there isn't a sub-forum (a thread we have here, of course... and I believe there may be a few others bumping around somewhere, though I could be mistaken)... well, that's a common plaint when it comes to people's favorite writers; and the answer is simply that there hasn't been enough discussion on her work, or enough discussion that's proven sustainable over time. If several threads get going on her work and have staying-power for a good while, then opening up a subforum for her will be considered. After all, it took quite a long while for Asimov or Niven to get theirs, too....

I liked her Marianne books, The Awakeners duology, and Beauty.

Her imagination is prodigious, her writing is often quite elegant, but her stories and themes have grown too depressing for me.

I'm impressed by the number of different spins she can put on alien to earth interactions.
My favourite of hers is "Fresco" - which is an aliens come to earth for the first time book. Of those of hers I have read it is by far the most upbeat and in places very funny. Re-read it about three times now. (Theresa, faint chance you might enjoy it as it is fairly positive.)

Also read Companions - another alien to earth interaction some way into the process, not first contact. Interesting thoughts, though one of the grimmer ones at least at the start.

Gate to Woman's Country - human race working on sorting out its own problems. Interesting take, medium read in terms of cheerfulness :)

Grass is on my "to-read" pile - bought it recently.

I also have The Singer from The Sea - must re-read it sometime, see if I can work out what the plot was about this time :). It was the first of hers that I read, a few years ago, and at the end was thinking "hhmm?" Maybe I'll get it now.:)

Also read one which was very apocalyptic about aliens coming to earth in answer to prayers - very black humour underlying the plot, can't remember the title (from the library).

I think I've read The Visitor a while ago from the library - just looking at the review on Amazon and thinking must get that.

The rest of her books I've not reached yet.

Last edited:
Teresa...I have to confess, she's not exactly light. ;) Humorous on occasion, but there's usually an anvil or two in there themewise. What I really love about her, though, is the way she values and can communicate the value of other forms of life, and the importance of looking at life as a big picture, rather than only from our "people-centric" point of view. You might try The Family Tree - its a very different vision of the future, and very hopeful, in a surprising way. Of course being Tepper its not all roses, but its not as grim as some of her books. There's even a bit of romance and a fairly happy ending.

Montero, Grass is a real classic, one of her best. Excellent aliens, excellent heroine. The Singer from the Sea did take a bit of working out - interesting premise though and if you ever reread it'll be worth it. Not as good as Grass though.

Grimward, I haven't read After Long Silence, I started with the next one, Gate to Women's Country. I'm missing a few of her earlier ones actually. Like Pratchett, she is too prolific for my wallet to keep up. One day I will hunt them down.

I don't have her latest yet, which I think is called The Margarets. Doesn't look like she is slowing down much, though she can't be getting any younger...

I have a stack of Tepper's books, her work has always impressed me since I read The True Game decades ago. However I have, so far, only re-read one of them: The Marianne Trilogy, which I think is a brilliant contemporary fantasy, unique and strange; it's on my top-20 list of all-time favourite SFF books (and I enjoyed it just as much the second time).

Yes, I've got The True Game, all three parts (Peter, Mavin and Jinian), The Revenants, and Gibbon's Decline and Fall, and enjoyed them.

But she's not an author whose work I would actively look for, if you see what I mean....not sure why not.

Same as py, I have a few of her books on the shelf but until I finish many others that I'm anxious to read, I don't think I'll jump to it. Yeah, not sure why...

I'm bumping this thread, since I discovered one or two of her books on my shelf, and was wondering what she is like. From the posts above, she certainly sounds interesting. Now I must just find the right book to start with...

Saw this thread pop up and read through it.

Since I last posted on the thread I have read the Margarets. Its a sort-of sequel to The Companions. It is later in the same universe but not picking up the same characters.

Excellent concept the Margarets and I'm amazed by how she handled all the time-lines/plot lines and how the story comes together. Also her inventiveness and descriptive skill when it comes to aliens.

I think my favourite creation is the large woolly beasts with the fan-like tails that use them as blankets and as sun shades.

Also, seeing this thread, reminds me I must re-read The Singer from The Sea to see if I work out what the underlying plot is, as opposed to the story.

I've only got a couple of her better known works. Certainly worthy of belonging to the Masterwork series... looks like another I'm going to have to revisit this year.

Same as py, I have a few of her books on the shelf but until I finish many others that I'm anxious to read, I don't think I'll jump to it. Yeah, not sure why...

I find some of her books dark, and uncomfortable, in the way they examine how the human race is so very good at racing to hell in a handbasket. In the main, a memorable author more than a re-readable one, though having said that I'm going to try re-reading at some point, only to see if my memories are accurate. Her books certainly stick in my mind.
There are exceptions to this, like "Fresco" which I have found very re-readable - but that is a more cheerful take on most things. It also sticks in my memory, but I like re-meeting the characters.

She sounds 100% my cup of tea from what I've read about her here and elsewhere. I love dark, far out there and inventive stuff.

But now I need a recommendation of which book to start with if I'm a virgin in Tepper territory, please kind Chrons folks..

Hhm.
I've read her rather at random. I was given Singer from the Sea, came across Fresco in the library, bought quite more.

Just been to look at Fantastic Fiction

Sheri S Tepper

and found that almost all of hers that I've read come in the Novels section. (And I haven't yet read half of what she's written.) On the whole, those that I have read are standalone - with the exception of The Companions followed by the Margarets.

There is a recurring theme, but she examines it through different stories and different solutions.

The Gate to Women's Country would be one place to start. I'd call it middling - as in not her darkest or most obscure, but not relatively upbeat like The Fresco either. But since you like dark and obscure that may not be the best advice.

Again, as far as I am aware most of the novels are stand-alone, so you could just see what your library has to offer.

Tepper sounds intriguing, especially since The Procrastinator likes it, and she and I have some similar tastes...

However, I would appreciate hearing from some of you as to what book would be best to begin with, even though Montero's provided some guidance. I have no Tepper books, but am always looking for a lyrical, imaginative writer. What book would be the best introduction to her work?

A difficult question my kiltie friend. Most of her later books are standalone, and those are easier to get hold of (in Oz, anyway); there are some "related" books, for instance Grass and Raising the Stones, but I read those out of order and didn't suffer for it. If you check out the link in Montero's post that will tell you which ones are in definite series - you can avoid those for now. ;)
Recommendations to start with...hmmm...well, see if you can get hold of any of these:
Grass
The Gate to Women's Country
The Fresco
The Family Tree
Beauty
The Companions

All strong examples of her work, all very enjoyable. Failing that, as Montero said to Moontravler, just dive in, you can't got far wrong. ;)

I was lucky enough to pick up The Gate to Women's Country and Beauty almost as good as new yesterday.. I think Beauty looks like a nice one to start with. :)