If there was a movie?

no we would need a belgariad (pardon the terminology) Freak to direct this movie cuz thats what peter jacksoni is for LOTR

Agreed. Not Peter Jackson. And it goes without saying that only someone who's read a lot of Eddings could direct it.:)

ooh i thought of someone to play Torak!

uhhh i dunno if you guys have seen it... but the guy from highlander
he also played that god in Mortal Kombat

Clancy Brown maybe? I know Lambert was in Highlander and Mortal Kombat, but .... the eternal Kurgan? Clancy Brown is good at playing a wide range of bad guys and he can play them straight. I've always thought of Lambert being a bit campy, kinda like Bruce Campbell. Not that there's nothing wrong with camp I just don't think Eddings is camp. At least not his first two series (Garion & Sparhawks' worlds).

Christopher Lambert isn't pretty enough to play Torak. Torak MUST be utterly flawless looking (at least for half his face - though undoubtedly there would be a 'cracking of the world' moment and we'd see his face melt).
I can't think of anyone at the moment who would be ideal... but he'd have to to have dark hair, fair skin and green-ish eyes...he'd also suit a person of mixed ethnicity - to make his features just that bit harder to define racially, possibly Eurasian...

ooh had a thought... Chris Evans as Belar!

What about that kid who plays Superman on the tv series for Torak? The newer series that is. He always looks super pretty in posters.

Tom Welling? That could actually work... he has the right look... I like it Zombie. Although he often plays an airhead (Clark Kent can be such a himbo) so Tom Welling is also perfect for Mandorallen... he has the exact description Eddings gives in QoS for The Mightiest Knight on Life.

Tom Welling! That's the guy! I don't watch the show and haven't really seen him in anything else so I didn't know he played a himbo well. Mandorallen would be good for him in that case.

Okay, now - a quick switch to Elenium and Tamuli. I got thinking today about an actor for Kalten.

What about ..... Simon Pegg? (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Spaced) Can anyone else see him pulling off the whole 'Gibberese' bit with a totally straight face? He can also be a little buff, looks good a blonde, and isn't shy around a pint either.

Hi Twm here, just been rereading the posts here, am reading Guardians at the mo... I think you may have missed a trick - You need a older man to play Belgarath, a mentor, someone who is seven thousand years old - But doesn't look it, how about Liam Neeson I know you mentioned him for other parts but think about Phantom Menace and Batman Begins. I think he could pull it off.
Diolch

Neeson, I just don't see it... Would Belgarath be as Irish as Schindler was?

Zombie - Simon Pegg would be great for the verbal side of Kalten, but he'd need to beef up about 1000%!

What about Uma Thurman for Salmissra? Might be coz I'm watching BAtman and Robin, but I think she'd rock at it.

I like the idea of Uma, she has the perfect face for that kind of heavy-lidded seductress. But I always saw her a bit more .... ah .... well endowed on top. Kind of fertile looking. Though I think Uma could pull it off without a hitch.

The nice thing about going for 'average' guys like Pegg (he can buff up, he was pretty fit in Spaced, and check out 'Danger! 50,000 Zombies!' to see more) is that when cast someone buffer for the role of Tynian that actor will look more developed. ..........I've thought about this way too much. :p

:eek:

Jean Claude VanDamme? Maybe playing the part of Engessa? Not Vanion. Whoever plays that role would have to be older and be able to look like they're aging kinda poorly (thus when Blue-Rose gives Vanion back his youth and health he can go back to looking fabo).

For the role of Vanion I'd always considered Bill Nighy.

hmm. I'm not sure about that, coz I've only ever seen him playing Bill Nighy - he's identical in every role. EVEN covered in tentacles, doing a LOUSY Scots accent in Pirates, he's still Bill.
HAving said that, I think he'd do wonderfully as Zalasta, with the drawly menace thing going on.
And Van Damme as Engessa would need serious fx doing, as he's only 3ft 2in tall, and Engessa's 10ft! *evil giggles*
I think I'm going to go through my DVD collection, and draw up my definitive list.

Look what they did for Gimli though! He's pretty tall and ...

Hey! Tall! Ooookay, now I like Ulath (hee hee U-lat) and he needs to be played an actor who is very tall. What about Rhys Ifans? I'll admit he's got the height, and I can see him looking a bit Nordic-ish, though .... well, just not really super handsome.

Anyways John Rhys-Davies is just over six foot and they got him to look pretty short. I'm sure they could get Bill Nighy to look tall. But I really like the idea of him playing Zalasta. That's a much better role for him than Vanion.

What about Jeremy Northam for Tynian?

Just catching up with reading these last few posts, and I have to say I agree with Bill Nighy for Zalasta. Good choice!:)

Im sure Ive posted here before, probably several times, so lets see if I can contradict myself :)

I suggested Cillian Murphy's name as a possible Fool from Robin Hobb's series and I had forgotten how flawless Torak was meant to look.

With the right set up to make him look more impossing he might make a good Torak.

I think Patrick Stewart is a bit over exposed to be in any more SFF movies/tv at the moment, which is shame as I think he'd make a perfect Vanion.

And Bill Nighy as Zalasta is a great suggestion.

Barak - Ron Pearlman (The guy in the Hellboy suit)

Sean Connery is probably about the right age to play Belgarath and Im sure he could get the attitude right, I just always pictured him thinner?

Viggo Mortensen would work as Sparharwk but as with Stewart its maybe too similar to a previous role.

Giovanni Ribisi (younger brother in gone in sixty seconds) for Relg.

He might be too old now but Oded Fehr (The Mummy, Deuce Bigalo) would have made a good Hetter. Maybe Asharak now days :).

Actually, Sendhil Ramamurthy (Mohinder in Heroes) might do ok as Hetter.

and speaking of Heroes, Greg Grunberg for Durnik? he's got that strong/nice guy sort of look.

Jennifer Connelly would be perfect for Polgara IMO

I wonder what Mena Suvari would look like with wild curly red hair?

Greg Grunberg for Durnik, I like it. But he'd have to aged in makeup. He just doesn't look old enough to have all those sons (like Khalad who was an adult himself by the end of the first series).

For Miss Mena .... well, it's strawberry blonde and not that curly, but here's an idea of how she'd look.