Janny Wurts: Are the Koriathain misguided, corrupted or evil [SPOILERS]

Re: Janny Wurts: Are the Koriathain misguided, corrupted or evil

*Falls on sword*

I am terribly sorry, Ms P! Believe it or not, I did check your profile, either before or just after writing the initial comment about horsemen, but I couldn't tell! Not that I'm known for being timely with these cautions. Please accept my apologies!

Hmmm, maybe there's something to "Procrastinator and the Pips", after all...! :p

Regarding the Koriani, that definitely would be hazardous. This isn't exactly a quote, but didn't Elaira at one point prepare to dunk a crystal in a basin of salt water to "initialize" it? Given the amount of salt water that's often in the air near the coast, though, one would think (at a minimum) that their use of their crystals in such locales would often be compromised, if nothing else.....

Well, either the atmospheric salt water is not enough to make a difference, or you've found a loophole that the author forgot to plug. ;)

Maybe its just like a bit of static on the tv.

Are the crystals a channel/amplifier for magic, or do they have an inherent store of magic themselves? I can't remember if it said in any of the books, after all there's only been 8 or so elephantine volumes of detail.

(And get off your sword, silly - its a bit hard to tell on a message board. ;))

Considering that the crystal needed to be immersed in a bucket of salt water to 'clear' it, I doubt that there is enough brine in the air, even on the coast, to be able to damage a koriani crystal.

Agreed, Dek, and I should have been more specific. Wasn't going for "damage" to the quartz itself, really, something more along the lines of Pro's tv static depiction when it comes to spells cast with (thru?) brine-misted quartz. Considering the preparation/concentration JW describes when Koriani cast spells, was thinking that interference caused by salt on the crystals could have undesirable consequences for the spell.

The picture I get on the crystals themselves are that they are predominantly a channel, but can be a cache for the some aspects of the magic (e.g, the Waystone, Skyron, etc.). Stormed Fortress aside (one week, tick tick tick!), doesn't Janny usually talk about the quartz as a focus? Also, while I still have to stay away from the SF thread on her site (grrr!), it looks like she may have dropped a hint to the question here: When a fan asked about how objects are used for magical purposes, she replied "...[FONT=Times New Roman, Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]but the "objects" are only focuses to hold place for a concept - not powerful in and of themselves." Hmmmm. :([/FONT]

Koriani (other than the Prime using the Waystone or Skyron) seem unable to scry/exert influence across large expanses of salt water (i.e. seas and oceans), due to the 'screening' effect of the salt. But even this screening effect doesn't seem to prevent them from using ships to travel, so I can't imagine that it would have a static-like influence over koriani arts in general.
From what Janny has revealed so far, I would guest that it is only some, long distance, workings that salt water interfers with. So being based in a coastal city wouldn't disrupt the normal work of the sisterhood.

:):)Stormed Fortress has arrived!!!!!:):)
*Grimward retreats into corner of closet with book and a mission to see how much more misguided, corrupt, or just plain evil the Koriathain have become*

P.S. What's this nonsense about using more than 5 smilies (I originally had 8, but my posting was treated in a most final and callous manner, thusly configured!)?!!!:mad:

Grimward, Happy Reading!

p.s. sorry about the lack of smiles, but have used up my quota for the decade (you may have noticed I am also an Aussie).

Happy reading, Grimward! You will be richly rewarded with material to post on this topic, never fear! Have fun, and don't forget to eat.

Can't sleep...can't eat....can't work....must read....must read...

(Thanks folks! Be back soon!)

Hey, Grimey! You finished yet? I saw you post elsewhere, so I am assuming that you are done, or you have come up for air!

So, what did you think?

*"Grimey!" Brushes himself off...."Did I get it all?!! ;)*

No, have only come up for air. Doesn't take Janny long to get going these days, does it? Been battling with time between sneaking pages and finishing my taxes (they're due April 15th). The posts were during tax times. Looking like there'll be a solid 2 hour block tonight after the rest of the household is asleep, however...wah-hooo!

I know what you mean. Sneaking a few pages of that book is very unsatisfying, 'cause you're dying to keep going.

And no, it doesn't take her long to get started. At all.

As Stormed Fortress has a few very enlightening scenes involving the Koriani, hopefully we will have more to discuss once Grimward has finished.

Okay, begrimed one. You've had enough time, and I've seen you post on other threads.

What thinkest thou of the Koriani now?

DANGER TO OTHERS WHO HAVE NOT READ THE ALLIANCE OF LIGHT: STORMED FORTRESS, BOOK 8 OF THE WARS OF LIGHT AND SHADOW. THERE WILL BE SPOILERS PRESENT IN THE FOLLOWING POSTS.

Give me until the end of the week, 'cuz as amazed as I am, I'm still not finished!!!!:eek:

Sure. It is a rather packed book, after all.

I was trying to be nice. The gloves come off this weekend.