Star Trek: Next Generation

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
The topic of the films came up on another thread, so I thought I'd ask what various people here thought of the various NextGen films?

I have to confess to being a heretic - much as the Star Trek universe is appealing, some of the scripting and filming annoys the heck out of myself.

For example, in "Generations" the way of killing Kirk was a little lame - I really hoped they'd blow him up on a starship.

But that aside, the worst part was the missile that allegedly couldn't be shot down on its way to the sun by the Enterprise (contrivance of plot), not to mention the regrettable battle scene between the Enterprise and the Bird of Prey - there was no dramatic direction, and the Bird of Prey was always made to look like some buzzing gnat (and, worse! - I insist that the Bird of Prey explosion was simply the same explosion from Chang's ship going up at the end of "Undisovered Country"!*).

* I have a bad memory for important things, but a good memory for pointless details!

The film had some otherwise really good moments - one I remember well was the star map room.

As for the others - "First Contact" - I used to work on a desk at a laser tag place, so I never saw the illusion of film - just an expensive laser tag session. :(

"Insurrection" started nice - Data has always been a great character. But the whole film was decidedly lacking in that sense of "epic space traveller" feel. and the battle in the Nebulae looked very poor to myself - the Enterprise always looked like a 1 foot long toy. :( Even the old series could be more convincing on effects, though poorer. :(

Of course, I'm having a rant - and I heartily invite people to disagree with me!

As I hoep to see "Nemesis" this coming week, I'm prepared not for a great film - but I'm hoping it will at least have enjoyable moments. :)

I think TNG probably burnt itself out as a 7 year TV series and was already beginning to repeat itself. There were some fine episodes but also too many that relied on a malfunction of some kind -which was usually sorted by modulating an anti-proton beam through the forward deflector array (or some other such technobabble).
As for the films - they were repeating themselves by the time First Contact arrived.
Wrath of Khan -----Moby Dick in space
First Contact (Picard's obsession with destruction of the Borg) ----Moby Dick in space.
Don't get me wrong, I like Star Trek but, a few years ago, I saw Lenin in his Mausoleum in Moscow and I came out thinking..please, just bury the guy! I feel the same about Star Trek. It's time has passed. We will be sad for a while, but we will move on...such is life.

LOL! about Lenin!

You're certainly right about the series - and it certainly had great moments, and often for different reasons. I don't actually know the names of individual episodes. And it's going to be a long while before I start setting money aside for the complete collection on DVD!

I absolutely hated Star trek Generations. It was little more then a tv episode with a larger budget. I wish they had based the first Next Generation on the Peter David Novel Vendetta. That would have made a far better film then what ended up with.

Never really rated any of the ST films all that highly as they seemed to steadily get worse with each release.

The only one I really liked was "First Contact" and the continuing Borg trope. A bit silly perhaps, but a fairly decent story mixed with some good humour too.

But I just wonder exactly how far the producers can really "boldly go" with this long-running franchise?