Amazon...

Ignatius

Yes, it's true. I went onto Amazon to look up a book, 2 days later my wish list is 200 titles strong, costing over $500 dollars total. anyone else do this?

Ignatius said:
Yes, it's true. I went onto Amazon to look up a book, 2 days later my wish list is 200 titles strong, costing over $500 dollars total. anyone else do this?
Of course. Amazon's review system may be wonky beyond belief, but they have a wide-ranging selection, great prices and free shipping over $25. When DVDs, CDs, electronics, toys and games are throw into the mix, Amazon is a great online shopping tool that I have remained pretty loyal to since they "opened" for business.

My Amazon wish list is a mere 125 items long. I keep the list not simply to track things I want to buy on Amazon, but to track pretty much anything I might want to buy. Somebody points me in the direction of a good book, I glance at a few reviews and throw it on the wish list. I'll come home from the book store and have to remove a few items from the list.

My recent additions include: Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson, Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven, Damnation Alley by Roger Zelazny and Dr. Bloodmoney by P.K. Dick.

Amazon has a lot of methods of pointing you to other material you might like, which can lead to some odd places, but which can also point you towards books you might not have otherwise tried.

Amazon are such b******s... They get you with that whole Wish List thing, then you are trapped and can't help but buy more books... :(

We should rise up and visit their distribution places, and steal all their books!!! That'll teach 'em!!! ;)

My wish list isn't that long but that's only because I refuse to let myself put everything I want there :) I do like the recommendations and have often found some interesting things. Sure, nine times out of ten I've already read the books listed but every once in a while it will come up with something new and interesting to look for.

The only thing that annoys me are the used books. Quite often I've found several used books that would be cool to get and are from the same seller but you still have to pay shipping for each individual item. They should somehow fix that. I hate to buy 5 books for $1 each and then have to pay $5 for shipping for each one...

Has anyone any experience of how good an estimation for delivery for books at Amazon?

Some of the books I'm after say 8 to 10 days and I wondered if that was a good guideline?

I've not ordered any books before from them that werent in stock.

If the book is delayed beyond their estimate, they usually send an e-mail advising you so. On the .com site (rather than the .co.uk) they also ask you to authorise or cancel a time extension to your order. On the whole, if a book is still in print, I've found their estimates on shipping to be reasonably reliable.

Even not-in-stock books usually arrive before their estimated deadline. I've only ever had one issue and that is because the shipping company sent my box to someone in Tennessee (probably Hypes was hijacking it while he was there :) ) by accident and they had to re-send the entire order. Someone in Tennessee got free books!

nah - amazon is poo for books & dvds.
I've found much better, cheaper & more reliable online stores.

EDIT: usually get free or cheaper shipping costs too.

Plus I find the amazon search engine incredibly useless & inaccurate

Sounds like it may be OK :) I've a few I want to order but they've got upto 10 days delivery on them.

I use amazon for rare second hand books, and nothing else. I buy everything I can from actual shops... this internet shopping thing is overrated;)

Ive found so far Amazon the best place to get my books. They often have titles in for less well known authors too :D Everyone must live in big towns, there's so little in my local area :confused:

I deal through a couple of bookdealers and a contact who offers a 25% discount off all new books to get a lot of my goodies!!!! :D

I work in I.T. but don't believe in electroinc banking, credit cards or purchasing anything via the web, just too risky for my liking..... :eek:

GOLLUM said:
I deal through a couple of bookdealers and a contact who offers a 25% discount off all new books to get a lot of my goodies!!!! :D

I work in I.T. but don't believe in electroinc banking, credit cards or purchasing anything via the web, just too risky for my liking..... :eek:

Which bookdealers are those?

Gary Wassner said:
Clarkesworld.com is a great great site for sci/fi, fantasy and horror. http://www.clarkesworldbooks.com/

You can also get many signed copies there (including signed copies of all of my books) and they deliver quickly.

The site does look good - shame it's not UK based :( I only order from UK sites.

rune said:
Which bookdealers are those?
Sorry to keep the bad news coming Rune but this (person who gives 25% discount) is another one who only operates within Australia, based in Melbourne.... :(

Other booksellers are just friends of mine in Melbourne who run an independent bookshop and another guy who calls himself the Book Detective who has clients worldwide and hunts down very rare items. His warehouses have millions of dollars worth of books, some really amazng stuff including original manuscripts/notes of DaVinci with his authenticated handwriting in the middle pages, guees you could argue this being in a museum or something, he may donate it in his will... :cool:

GOLLUM said:
Sorry to keep the bad news coming Rune but this (person who gives 25% discount) is another one who only operates within Australia, based in Melbourne.... :(

Grr..... Why can't I get lucky

There are soooooo many inappropriate responses to that answer...

However, I'll just say, some people have the luck of the devil!!!! :D