trying to find a fantasy book trilogy about a blacksmith, seers, by female writer

greedofired

I read this about 20 years a go from my local library.all i can remember was a seer visiting a village in a boat and picking children for apprenticships.the story follows a boy who is chosen to become a blacksmith and his magical journey.i remember he made some silver shackles that were put on him to bind him and made him lame,any ideas>>

It sounds familiar, but I can't call the title to mind. My first thought was that it might be The Sarsen Witch by Eileen Kernaghan, but I don't think that's right.

This is The Winter of the World series I think, there are 4 books, starting with The Anvil of Ice. It is by Michael Scott Rohan - so not a female author. It is about a boy who becomes a blacksmith and his progression to finding out who he really is and was. There are some shackles in one of the books

The Winter of the World was the first thing I thought of, but it's not by a female writer, and Alv was actually picked up by the smith when his village was being sacked, not during a search for apprentices. But you're quite right, the shackles do come in later in the series (I had forgotten that bit), so I'm betting you're right, black1.

many thanks
it is this series by Michael scott rohan that i was after
i said it was about 20 years ago and the memory is not what it was.good job i have a mirror in the bedroom so i know not to wear the wifes clothes.

Back