Did "Deathly Hallows" feel like it was ghost written?

JKR did give alot of forshadowing and if you guys went on HP forums like the Leaky cauldron you would see the thousands and thousands of obsessed people that reread the series over 10 times carefully studing it and posting predictions. And you can get a feel for the authors style and the charaters and perdict things in the books and what the characters might do in the book. Fanfic authors probably put that in their fanfics.

Aaand Rofls the smilling weirwood and Cayal are funny

Ghostwritten? Come on, that is without a doubt the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Not Historical? If you had an English degree and read Harry Potter you would have mad respect for her knowledge of the Cannon and History in general. For a kids book, or any book rather, there is a lot of intertextuality going on.

I think it's clearly her work, she's a great writer - though maybe DH did cater to fans a bit.

I recently watched a video interview of her that was recorded prior to the release of DH. She admits that she reads people's theories online a lot. With Potter madness rampaging the world, some people out there had to get it right and I wouldn't blame her for utilising a few people's ideas too.

However writing style wise, I think she matured a lot throughout the series and it seemed in line for me.

i think a big problem with a lot of these series is that once the author gets huge, she stops taking editorial advice - like cutting certain parts, rewriting this and that - because making changes to your baby that you don't want to can hurt. but when ur a newbie author, you are desperate to get published, and will prob be willing to make whatever changes the editor demands. once the author starts selling big, tho, she can tell the editor to go *** himself. unfortunately, ignoring editorial advice usually isn't in the best interest of the book. i definitely think the potter books went downhill after the 4th one.

I wouldn't say it was ghost written. Reading it I could tell it was her work. It did feel however like she didn't put nearly as much heart into it. Many factors translate to this of course. People being impatient wanting it released, the whole world watching her over her shoulder, etc.

Either way, I just simply think she didn't put as much effort forth as she did earlier in the series.

what disappointed me about the series is that after it went Theatrical she wrote as though she knew (because, well she did) it would be a movie. I agree with everyone that her style changed over time, matured if you like, and if you were to read just the first and the last, you would think they were written by two different authors. probably where your (father was it?)'s argument is coming from. but if you read them all in order you see that it is just a matter of someone 'growing' as a writer.

personally I think her style degraded over the series and that her first was by far the best written.

I haven't made a thorough textual analysis of The deathly Hallows, but can't someone simply count the number of superfluous adverbs to check if it was really her that wrote it? All kidding aside, it makes sense that the seventh book feels somewhat different when reading it; it has lost so many of the artefacts that the other books had, because for the most part it didn't take place on Hogwarts. And of course, a lot of the things in it were foreshadowed in the preceeding books. I mean the whole Ron and Hermione thing was in the air since book 2, by book 5 I got frustrated those two still hadn't gotten it on yet, and half way part 7 I actually started to believe she had written the ultimate twist that it wasn't going to happen at all.

i agree! just the fact that it wasn't situated at hogwarts gave it a whole new structure. i loved it. and i think it was perfectly j.k.r.

Oh yes, it absolutely felt ghostwritten to me!!! One of the reasons why I hated that book. Before I bought the printed version, I saw scanned pages (about half the book) that somebody had posted online and was 100% sure those scanned pages were a scam, Rowling couldn't possibly write something that poor.

The atmosphere felt "off" in relation to the previous books, the story kept wandering off on tangents, the writing wasn't up to par. Actually, my impression was that Deathly Hallows has its better and worse moments - the mid-air chase with Death Eaters and Bill and Fleur's wedding are very Rowling to me, but e.g. the whole episode with the sword in the frozen lake seemed like something taken straight out of a fanfic. I had a very strong suspicion that Rowling had been so paralyzed with writer's block that she asked some fans to help her out.

Am I the only person in the world who's never read her work? There are just some authors' books (or the authors themselves) that I just look at and say "no", just like there are some films that are around and I don't want to go and see them. Anyone else like me?

I haven't read a word of hers. Seen all the films, though.

My lasting impression is, "oh no, not transferrable souls again..."

:rolleyes:

Am I the only person in the world who's never read her work? There are just some authors' books (or the authors themselves) that I just look at and say "no", just like there are some films that are around and I don't want to go and see them. Anyone else like me?

JK was never my cup of tea either, you are not alone

It was very obvious around book 5 that she paid attention to the speculation taking place in the message forums. While I understand that the earlier books focused on pre-teens and therefore the focus wasn't necessarily on romance, around book 5 there was a definite shift to giving focus to the romantic relationships even when they didn't add much to the story beyond pleasing her fan base. Certain scenes and situations definitely catered to specific fan requests.

I'm sure that having spent 10 years plotting and re-plotting all those threads when the time came to actually write them down it wasn't as exciting as the earlier books which had much more room for creative growth. I've run into that problem before, where my outlines become too specific that when I actually write the scenes they feel almost like paint-by-numbers. All the magic of writing is gone. She also had a movie studio on her back with major pressure to meet deadlines since the cast was growing up along with the books. All that pressure would probably suck most of the fun of writing for your own benefit out of the equation.

The only major difference i noticed was that in my opinion, it could have done with a brutal editing scythe. The last 3 books are hugely bloated, at least thats what i thought when i read them.