need help with a story(stage play)

huxley

I have an idea for a stage play... but i need some help to think up what sort of job this character has.

he needs to have a rich mans job that where he's in a possition to exploit people and used people to get to where he is today...
the type of job where is mentality is " a man is mesured by the size of his wallet"
but he needed to exploit , back stap and fight to get to where he is.. wasnt handed that job or possition in live he needed to work , decive ect... to get there..

he has a big ego of himself and thinks he's important.
but i also want him to be after a goal.. he thrives for something.. he wanted more money and power... more then he already has,,, which is alot what would be the possibility for that type of job?

Uriah Heep was only a clerk at first.

Clyde Griffiths was a foreman at a factory.

Then again, none of them were really rich at first (and Griffiths didn't manage to become rich at all, if I remember correctly).

Depends on the historical period, really.

For more traditional professions, a master artisan in a society that has guilds (I think there's even a stereotype for vicious power struggles in guilds), a ship's officer, even a damn fishmonger.

Last edited:
Well, I'm thinking of the character P1ss Harry in Terry Pratchett's The Truth, a man who made his fortune in... err... effluent waste management, and has a real chip on his shoulder and a need to prove himself due to the fact that the nobility don't take his wealth seriously owing to how he made it.

Money and success don't need to be glamorous - Where's there's muck, there's brass, as they say.